Converting track files from ozexlorer to magellon.

Submitted: Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 21:35
ThreadID: 58309 Views:2968 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone know how to convert tracks and waypoints from oziexlorer to be able to use them in a magellon xl explorist.Had some members kind enough to give me some tracks for a future trek but have forgotten how to convert them.Did it once before from a down load from this site.Thanks to any that reply.

Cheers Graeme.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 22:56

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 22:56
Hi Graeme, you should be able to download them direct from OziExplorer by loading the relevent map into the program then loading the relevent track file & waypoints file onto the map then sending those track & waypoint files to the GPS. Make sure you have the correct comms port settings between your GPS & OziExplorer on your PC & the correct upload/download Baud rate setup on your GPS as per the configeration setup in OziExplorer. If they are OziExlorer files (ie. .wpt & .plt files) you will not have to do any conversions. Cheers
AnswerID: 307414

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 23:26

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 23:26
Hello - Explorists act as external memory devices when connected to PC and as a consequence waypoint and track "upload and download" is actually done via normal windows explorer type setup. There is no need to set com ports or baud rates etc.

Within OziExplorer configuration just select Magellan as GPS Make and Magellan USB as GPS Model..no other settings require changes. Within OziExplorer a magellan menu will now be present along the top of screen. Simply load Ozi format waypoint or track data and then save using Magellan - Send Waypoints to GPS (or send Tracks to GPS) - there is no actuial need to save to GPS - just save them where you want on PC - conversion to correct format files type is done for you. Files can then be copied (using windows explorer) to GPS at any time.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 573270

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 00:30

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 00:30
Graeme

also try this site down load the program GarTrax 3.00
AnswerID: 307426

Reply By: Old Johno [NSW] - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 10:54

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 10:54
Graeme you will find the files are "upt" but as the others say when you transfer them they will do this automatically
AnswerID: 307489

Reply By: EaglePatrol - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 14:36

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 14:36
Ozi Waypoints are in .wpt format and Mapsend accepts the formats .upt, .wpt & .gpx
Ozi Track logs are in .plt format and Mapsend accepts .log, .trk & .gpx

Others have said that the conversion is automatic, if this does not work for you. Export your collections from Ozi as .gpx format files and 'load from file' the .gpx files into mapsend. Save as a waypoint/tracklog files, then transfer to your explorist.

This process can also be used in reverse to get waypoints from Mapsend to Ozi/GE.

Note: the .gpx files are easy to display in Google Earth as well.
AnswerID: 307520

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 00:33

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 00:33
Caution - matching file extensions do not guarantee compatability.
For example OziExplorer *.wpt files are a different format to Magellan "mapsend" *.wpt files.

Using GPX format is a good suggestion and universal compatability is catching on.

Cheers
Greg

PS I assume the term Mapsend in above post refers to Mapsend Lite V2 - there are many "mapsend" products - not all have same basic functions.
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 573487

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 22:26

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 22:26
Hi Eaglepatrol.

Got as far as converting into a gpx file and transfering to mapsend lite.Works fine and you can see the track on the map.However can not work out how to make into a .log file which seems to be the file that the gps accepts.Do you know the path to save the gpx file to a log file.Under my gps in mapsend lite is a path to export as mapsend file but tried and no luck.

Thanks Graeme.
FollowupID: 573646

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 00:03

Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 00:03
Hello - to convert *.gpx to *.log using Mapsend LiteV2 ...

1. Set GPS Type to Meridian/Sportrack (use menu - Preferences - GPS Type)

2. Load *.gpx into Mapsend LiteV2 (use menu - GPS Contents - Tracks - Load from File)

Track should load

3. Then save track to *.log (use menu - GPS Contents - Tracks - Save to File)

or

4. Send file to GPS (use menu - GPS Contents - Tracks - Upload to GPS) - requires correct settings ..com port etc - different issue..if it is one.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 573665

Follow Up By: EaglePatrol - Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 00:27

Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 00:27
Sorry I should have included the steps that Greg has outlined above for Map Send Lite.
I think you said that you were using an explorist XL. If that's the case set the preferences for GPS Type to Explorist.
To save waypoints/tracks to your GPS, you can use the menu as Greg has pointed out: GPS Contents >> Waypoints/Tracks >> Save To File... Choose to save to GPS, Give the file a name (the default format will be .upt for waypoints and .log for tracks) and save. The explorist file system also lets you drag and drop (Copy And Paste) files between the directories on the computer and the GPS.
On the GPS there Magellan have set up separate folders for waypoint/route/track log files. I find it simplest to stick with these default locations.
FollowupID: 573666

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 00:38

Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 00:38
woops - got confused - not sure why I headed down meridian/sportrak path - if only every one used OziExplorer it would be so much easier:)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 573667

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 00:41

Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 00:41
Which does beg the question - why not just use the method I suggested previously for OziExplorer and leave out MapsendLiteV2?

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 573668

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 06:10

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 06:10
Hi Greg.

Followed your last post to the letter and bingo it worked.Had tried your other method and others but no luck.Will be keeping each step written down for future reference.

Thanks again
Graeme.
FollowupID: 573863

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 10:05

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 10:05
No worries - nothing wrong with using Mapsend Lite V2. Strange you have no luck with OziExplorer though as the set up procedure is pretty simple. What version pf OE do you have (old versions dont support eXplorists) and what exactly goes wrong?
Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 573898

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:06

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:06
Hi Greg.

Pretty sure that the oziexplorer map that Phil has [he is a mate from work who also volunteers for SES] is different to those that sent the tracks to me because we needed a supporting map file that matched.The whole thing is complicated in my view and for those that are not computer wizards will find it difficult i think.The xl explorist is a good gps but the manual that comes with them is not so good and in some instances is wrong and it can take a while to figure it out.Apparently the software loaded on them is quite often different which can add to the confusion.

Thanks again Graeme.
FollowupID: 574876

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 21:06

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 21:06
Agree - any software can be hard to figure out without time and yes the user manual for explorists is somewhat lacking and to make matters worse was never updated when they updated the firmware versions.

For the record books, in OziExplorer, you dont actually need a map corresponding to the location of your loaded data to import or export - once loaded its still available for export even if it is not displayed (ie load any map and import/export your data). There is also a blank map function that will display a calibrated white background to display data if you dont actually have a map of the area in question.

Also the firmware upgrade for the XL didnt effect upload/downloads - it just added a few screens and changed/added some menu items. I think the menu item for loading tracks and waypoints changed from Active Setup to Active Map, which I suppose could be slighty confusing. Do what I do - press every button and see what happens!

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 574901

Sponsored Links