Becoming a Queenslander

Submitted: Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 23:49
ThreadID: 58316 Views:2062 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Well, it looks like We are about to exit our comfort zone and head to Mackay....got sick of waiting for the toads to get here so we will moove to them. Should be over there in about 6 weeks......will probably have to post not long after that to try to get the gos on the local area's secrets. A bit sad leaving KNX, a few things we would like to do before we leave, but it will be worth coming back as a tourist one day, the Kalumburu/long reef trip is already planned for the wet season 2010 with a mate who left for Cermont a few months back.

I may even be close enough for a gathering once over there!

Cheers Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 00:07

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 00:07
Gee Andrew, this will make Kev's day!! Good luck with the move. Cheers JD
AnswerID: 307423

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 07:40

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 07:40
You had better believe it LOL

Cheers Sir Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 573296

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 00:20

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 00:20
At least you will qualify for the 8 cents per litre fuel discount that holders of QLD drivers' licences will get.

Heck, maybe we will ALL end up there.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 307424

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 00:26

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 00:26
Gone Bush
If thats not discrimination eh, Bugger ...I might have to leave and go back to the State of my licence,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 573277

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 00:32

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 00:32
Doug what are you doing up this late?

And you're right with the discrimination. It will kill QLD's tourism industry as far as driving from interstate is concerned.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 573278

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 01:01

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 01:01
Gone Bush
Yeh, time to hit the pillow., my lc is same as yours, gonna keep it too, might end up back over there one....in the North .

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 573283

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 07:14

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 07:14
Gone Bush

The State hasn't changes since I left in June 06, in fact I think it's getting worse...being run by Captain Bligh.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 573291

Reply By: a convict - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 00:36

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 00:36
..nice place, ..but you'll have to work hard on your 'strine accent.

i.e how put a 'tinni - in - the - tilli'

or..

learn how to 'do a youi - at - the tukki' (Fried Chicken)

Great people, great place, only town in Oz where they still land 737s in the main street (well sort of).

Good Luck.

AnswerID: 307428

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 07:44

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 07:44
Andrew,

Sounds like you have seen the light LOL

I am looking at organising a gathering for next year some time either Winter or Spring school holidays so there should be a gathering or 2 that you should be able to attend. There is a few EO people in Mackay so they should be able to help out with local knowledge for shorter trips.

Cheers Sir Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 307452

Reply By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra - - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 00:11

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 00:11
Gday and thanks to all repliers. it will be interesting to maybe put a few names to faces in the future. I have met a few 'forumites' in Kununurra, but it is amazing how many passed through town while I was at work. The new job has a little more conventional hours, a 9 day fortnight. I will miss the 2x2 roster, well half of it anyway, but home every weekend and public holiday will be a novelty. It will be an interesting comparison on roster work.

I used to support Queensland in the state of origin, mainly becaule I was a Victorian in NSW!

Cheers Andrew
AnswerID: 307649

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 17:28

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 17:28
Hi Andrew

At least you are getting to see far afield places. When we live at a new place, we usually end up by being complacent because the places to see are always there, but then get to move at short notice without seeing them all. Looks like you will be gone by the time we get to Kunnunurra, but you will enjoy living in Qld too. Have a smooth move.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 307748

Follow Up By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra - - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 20:25

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 20:25
Gday Motherhen

Looks like I drive out on the 6th of July, Kids and Mum fly out the next day, new job starts on the 14th, eldest offspring starts term 3 (of prep) on the 15th. Its not a smooth moove, the house is part renovated and we want to sell, its hard to get tradesman up here etc etc, but the opportunity is there so we'll take it. There is so much we haven't done up here we should have, but comeing back will be great one day. I will miss the place, although soe aspects I definately will not!

CheersAndrew
FollowupID: 573616

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 16:43

Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 16:43
Sure hope you get something organised with your house. One of the fastest moves we did was with five days notice. Housing was rented though. My husband got an unexpected transfer, and was told we had to move in by the end of the week, or the department would lose the (government employee's) house. I was just pregnant and feeling none too good, one bub still on night feeds, and two other small children. All day was just being a Mum washing, cooking and caring for the littlies (no disposable nappies in those days), and racing around finalising accounts in town. At night i packed, then paid someone to spend a day cleaning after we'd moved out. Quite a marathon.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 573737

Sponsored Links