PIRAHNA BATTERY MANAGEMENT - system fault?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 17:20
ThreadID: 58337 Views:4343 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings all

Last week I managed to run my main battery down to the point where come Saturday morning it would not fire up the Nissan.

I managed to jump start it using another 12V battery I had on charge in the garage using a 700amp spike protected jumper lead.

I was VERY interested to note that once I got the motor running and had disconnected the recharge battery that the small green light on my Piranha dual battery system was lit.

I would have thought that the system should have switched completely to charging my main crank battery (flat) rather than the 2nd aux battery before.

Am I correct?

If so does it mean my Piranha might need looking at?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: herkman - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 17:40

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 17:40
The green light should come on when the second battery is being charged.

If the first battery can take a charge, then the light should not be on.

I suggest that if you make contact with Piranha you will find they will bend over nackwards to help you, even to the stage where they may replace the unit rather than repairing,

Unit is normally very reliable.

Have you checked that you are getting charge to the second battery when the lite is on.

Regards

Col
AnswerID: 307552

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 18:23

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 18:23
herkman

I have had the system in place now for about 18 months - works a treat

Yes, I am aware that the light comes on when 2nd battery is taking a charge - not a problem - 2nd battery is receiving charge under normal situation (i.e main is fully charged)

But I have never had the situation where the main batt has been flat.

You have confirmed what I thought - namely if the main battery is flat then it should take priority when charging over the 2nd battery

I will give Pirahna a ring in the morning to talk to them about this and also what I have to do to set up a 3rd battery to the system ( I have the 180s unit)

I am at this stage assuming I use one of the plugs that are free on the unit - I am already using the solar panel one
FollowupID: 573393

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 18:27

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 18:27
*you will find they will bend over nackwards*

Dont send your wife in then !

Good on Ya Col

Cheers
FollowupID: 573395

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 20:53

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 20:53
Kiwi,

i wouldn't be surprised if your main battery was either rooted or the terminals & clamps need cleaning.

We've had a Piranha 150s for some years now, and never had a problem with it.

Hooroo,
Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 307593

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 21:03

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 21:03
" I wouldn't be surprised if your main battery was either rooted or the terminals & clamps need cleaning."

Not sure how you come to that conclusion

The battery ran flat because I was using my HF radio each night for a week for considearble time each night without running the vehicle - that's what caused the battery to go flat.

Once I started the 4x4 and went for a drive the battery is back up to full charge and has no problems

Battery is less than 12 months old, clean terminals.

Does this extra bit of info make sense and does it change your reply?

FollowupID: 573439

Reply By: Alan W - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 23:56

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 23:56
G'day.
You will find that your alternators output will far exceed your battery's ability to accept the charge.

IE Your alternator's output is 150 amps/Hr but your battery may only accept 70 amp/hr. So your DBES 180 takes the excess 80 amp/Hr and gives it to your 2nd battery or whatever this battery can accept.
Alan
AnswerID: 307643

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 16:58

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 16:58
I rang Pirahna today and found out a lot - the saying 'straight from the horses mouth' certainly comes to mind :-)

1) The green light - does not tell you that the 2nd battery is taking a charge - the green light simply indicates that the system has woken up

2) With the engine and ignition turned off, If you look VERY carefully, in the dark you might JUST see a faint, VERY faint GOLD glow - this indicates that the system is 'asleep' - most people don't know this because it is so hard to see.

3)If you attach a solar panel to the unit (which I have) you will see a YELLOW light glowing

The 180s system on it's own does not indicate anything to do with the actual battery status or which battery is charging. If yiu want this information yoiu have to fit some sort of battery monitoring to the Pirahna

The 180s allows a 3rd battery to be charged. Simply add it to the 2nd battery and the Pirahna treats it as 1 big battery and will charge it/them accordingly

I am happy now that my unit is doing what it should - question resolved :-)

AnswerID: 307742

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 20:43

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 20:43
quote:

"2) With the engine and ignition turned off, If you look VERY carefully, in the dark you might JUST see a faint, VERY faint GOLD glow - this indicates that the system is 'asleep' - most people don't know this because it is so hard to see"

Just been out to the Patrol and - yes - I can just see the faint glow of the orange 'system asleep' light
FollowupID: 573621

Sponsored Links