Arkaroola & Mines

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 15:39
ThreadID: 58408 Views:2198 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Out to dinner last night with friends who have just got back from the Fli ders Rangers and they tell me that there are plans to carry out mining within the area in and around Arkaroola.
They had not been into Arkaroola, only up as far a Blinman where they heard about it.
Anyone have any information one way or the other? Reg Sprigg must be turning in his grave if it is true.

Vince
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Signman - Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 15:51

Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 15:51
Do you Think that Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary is an Appropriate Place for a Uranium Mine?
We don't......!
In fact, we don't want a mine - of any description - on Arkaroola.
A uranium mine here would be a total contradiction ofthe principles of the Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary. It undermines the 40 years of conservation work conducted by our parents to protect over 600 square kilometres of this wild and beautiful arid mountain range country.
Arkaroola is a major South Australian biodiversity asset: the property contains a number of threatened species; plants, birds and even fish. There are 35 colonies of Yellow-footed Rock-wallabies, and in 1981 our father, Dr Reg Sprigg, placed 70 square km of prime wallaby habitat on the National Estate Register to assist in their protection.
Arkaroola contains a number of Geological Monuments, including Mount Gee (the site of the uranium deposit and planned mine).
The property is a sanctuary under the National Parks and Wildlife Act. Funds raised from tourism activities are put back into the environment in various ways, such as weed and feral animal control. Arkaroola was a pastoral property for only a short time, and the regeneration of mulga here is the most significant in the Flinders Ranges.
In 2005, Arkaroola was identified to be of international significance by Andrew Ingles of the World Conservation Union.
It is our philosophy that through the principles of Ecotourism we are not only able to help protect and conserve this unique environment, but make it accessible to you to enjoy in a way that inspires inquiry; a thirst to understand more about the interconnectiveness of its fabulous geology, flora and fauna - that makes Arkaroola what it is!
AnswerID: 307893

Follow Up By: Vince NSW - Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 15:58

Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 15:58
This sounds bad.
Where did this come from Signman?
I may have to go back to the hippy protest days I never had and become a protester
Vince
FollowupID: 573729

Reply By: Member - John G- Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 17:25

Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 17:25
G'day Vince

We camped at Arkaroola last August. There was mineral exploration going on in the area (as there has been since Douglas Mawson was there pre his Antarctica days). While it was out of the way of the tourist areas, except the track to the ridge, it was discussed openly and positively by the staff at the place. May be a dumb assumption, but I can only assume that it is happening with govt approval and with environmental protection considerations.

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 307911

Reply By: Member - John G- Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 17:33

Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 17:33
g'day again Vince

Have a look at www.arkarooloa.com.au. I should have looked at it first. Doesn't alter what I said about July 2007, but things have changed.

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 307912

Reply By: Garbutt - Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 17:33

A mob called Marathon Resources was recently prospecting up that way and got in the poo for leaving drill core samples in the wrong places etc. There was something in the paper recently about them they apparently sacked their CEO for the stuff ups and now he's suing them. Not sure where the mining/prospecting is up to though.

GB
AnswerID: 307913

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 17:33

I read an article about this in the local paper a couple of weeks ago.

The Mining Company, (Marathon Resources) has (had) an exploration licence for the Arkaroola wilderness area. They have apparently been found guilty of burying a quantity of low radioactive waste (from the exploration/laboratory work) in a pit and there is a considerable amount of plastic bags containing the waste, that has been discovered.

The mining Company has been taken to task by the Spriggs, brother and daughter of Reg and the Dept. of the Environment (I think) has suspended the license indefinitely while investigating.

Licence Suspended

Another stuff up by the Government, in the quest for the almighty mining dollar returns.

I sincerely hope the Arkaroola Wilderness Area is protected for the benefit of current and future generations. There is enough uranium at Olympic Dam to supply Australia's domestic and export needs.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 307914

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 20:11

Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 20:11
There has been a lot of coverage in the local pressLink Here
If you search for Arkaroola Mining on the Adelaide Now site you will bring up a lot of information.
It seems that the mining companies have been allowed to run rough shod over the locals.

Kingo
AnswerID: 307965

Sponsored Links