Off-track driving banned in SA

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 08:09
ThreadID: 58465 Views:2507 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
With your attention gained, its always been banned in National Parks, but.....

The DEH in SA have released a Draft Motor Vehicle Access (Tracks) Plan for public comment. Its a very interesting read, and may give some insight into where we're heading for aaccess into outback parks.

You can read it here.

To make a comment or submission, follow this link.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 08:51

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 08:51
Thanks for that Phil.

As per normal, it seems not to indicate what CHANGES are being considered. So it makes it hard to form a well argued defence of status quo - or even promotion of the need for extended access.

One of my beefs is that 'cultural values' seems not to encompass the cultural values of those of us who seek the beauty, isolation and extremes that this country offers all of us. Another is that we are commonly denied the opportunity to camp alone as we are herded into generally small unattractive holding pens - sparse shade, close company and noise, poor amenities, closed tracks ...

I wonder if the SA 4WD reps would mind showing the forum their response or even inviting comment from the forum - after all, they represent far more than the people of SA.

Thanks again Phil

Chris
AnswerID: 308293

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 13:14

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 13:14
Chris,
I agre with your sentiments, especially about not being "herded into holding pens", which I suppose is a problem in the more popular areas.

4WDSA was a contributor to the draft document, and they have a very good record for keeping tracks open in the past. I'd be pretty sure that they would be totally opposed to locking up the bush.

I can understand the opposition to offtrack driving. In a popular place, like a national park, the area gets trashed and unsightly. But I still think theres a place for offtrack driving in the very remote areas. Lets face it, the north Simpson is a vast area with no real tracks. To travel cross country up there will never be popular - the spinifex humps are too bumpy, and the area too remote for most. And once a group of vehicles have travelled it, their tracks are blown away by the next year anyway.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 574482

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 09:58

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 09:58
Phil,

Read an associated article in the Advertiser this morning and was amused by an "aside" comment from the Northern Territory Government on this weekend's Finke Desert Race.

Quote:- "In the Northern Territory this weekend, meanwhile, the desert is subjected to the ultimate impact of the Finke Desert Race.
The NT Government is prepared to wear the damage by cars and bikes racing over hundreds of kilometres but is appealing to campers and spectators to minimise their impact."

How bloody stupid is that logic.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 308304

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 13:18

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 13:18
Gday Bill,
I read the same article, which prompted me to search for the draft plan.

Yeah, the Finke Race is "different". With the rain they had, they would have trashed it pretty well, but its such a great event, that I'm sure the locals would never want to see it go. But also, its not in a national park.
FollowupID: 574483

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 11:11

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 11:11
Blame the cowboy 4X4ers and the Toorak Tractor drivers, the ones who think a rough track is a competitive stage in the World Rally Championships and or who have very little respect for our environment and other travelers....you know who you are.

Seen it on other forums were some will go out and find the biggest mud puddly they can and not drive through it not once but 10 times and they make a day of it and call it fun, this does not include the 4X4ers who do it on approved private property.

Most of us are sensible and respectful but a small minority aren't.

Something asked on this forum regularly is some people think that by lower their tyre pressure they save tyres or get more traction....but it also saves the environment by not digging up track as much and making them rougher, the funny thing is not once has anybody replied to a post regarding tyre pressure to tell people about the impact on the environment.

Some things I think impact on tougher regulations are:

1) 4X4ers driving on closed or no access tracks.
2) Doing U turns in an area not big enough to do it and leaving deep tyre track or knocking down vegetation.
3) Leaving rubbish behind.
4) Having campfires in non camp fire areas or out of season.
5) Knocking down fences.
6 Rerouting tracks.

and the list goes on......

I'm sure a lot of people on here will knock me down but it is the truth and when we are away we might see it once and a while but the Park Rangers and local property owners would see it a lot more....

100 vehicles travel in an area doing the right thing and nobody sees them but 5 do the wrong thing and then all of a sudden everyone sees them.

It's only going to get worse!

AnswerID: 308314

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 13:39

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 13:39
Doesn't seem like anyone's going to knock you down :-)))

Re the "cowboys" - a lot has to do with age - almost invariably its the younger people who do this, and often because they know no better, and I'm sure most of us can remember doing stupid stuff when we were young. A lot seem to be on bikes these days, or in 4wds chasing mud. I don't know what the answer is - education of the whole population is pretty hard especially when 4wd adverts promote it.
FollowupID: 574495

Reply By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 11:42

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 11:42
This is an issue that I have terribly concerned about in W.A....Over the last 10 to 20 years, particularly the last 5 or 6 the numder of 4x4's has exploded to the point that every thinking person MUST be seeing first hand the impact on our beaches, dunes, bush, etc, etc, of the FLOOD of new 4x4 drivers and vehicle types( and to be fair, it is a free country,) but I shudder when I witness the behaviour of many, and we are to a greater degree powerless to stop it......the parks and wildlife are seeing all this and have the job of not only trying to manage it but to witness the thoughtlessness of some /many who basically don't care as long as they can do whatever they like....over here in W.A., we are already seeing signage in all major forest area's stating that it is now illegal to go in and remove firewood....are we beginning to see the future in regard to future management....I THINK SO....Already some 4x4 clubs are activily getting involved with goverment departments and are attempting to bridge the divide between goverment and indigenous (land rights) and themselves in an attempt to address this situation...HOWEVER IT WILL THE DRIVING PUBLIC AT LARGE THAT WILL CONTRIBUTE TO THE FINAL OUTCOME I BELIEVE...the question is "will it all be just to much, too soon and the powers will have to employ draconian measures to save the enviroment, leaving us restricted as to where and when we will/ can go?".....The enviroment must be protected from the impact of a growing and affluent population......over to you
AnswerID: 308320

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 13:57

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 13:57
Maybe the "4wd explosion" has peaked???

Sales of new big 4wds is in decline. The numbers of tourist vehicles in the remote areas will decline this year because of the cost of fuel, and cost of living increases, and falling sharemarket etc etc etc

But, maybe 4wd areas close to town will become more popular ???
FollowupID: 574504

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 14:09

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 14:09
I do wonder why they put so much effort into these draft plans, given that this stuff has been thrashed out so many times before.

In was only in 2005, that the DEH released theRecreational Vehicles Handbook.
AnswerID: 308525

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 14:27

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 14:27
G"day Phil,

perhaps just treating it as a "living" plan and trying to act in support of the Burra Charter. I welcome the effort, it is going to become more and more important with each passing year.
FollowupID: 574510

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 14:36

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 14:36
The people doing the damage are OUR neighbours, OUR children and OUR clubmates. Lets not be fooled into thinking it's some alien race doing the damage.

What you do about it is your concern. I don't have any magic answers.

AnswerID: 308527

Sponsored Links