Caution, High Country roadworthies.

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 12:37
ThreadID: 58475 Views:2739 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Apparently last night the police had a breath test station approaching Mansfield, nothing unusual but this one pulled everyone over then directed almost every 4 wheel drive over to the side for an additional roadworthy. Even entire club convoys were lined up. It's one thing to enforce roadworthy vehicles but to target one user group & let other cars with bald tyres & cracked windscreens through gets up my nose.
Going bush is certainly not getting any easier.
Cheers Craig.............
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DIO - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 15:16

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 15:16
Just doing their job. Would be heaps of complaints if they sat on their bums watching TV all day and didn't even bother to go out onto the road. As for 'targeting one group', perhaps they had good reason to ? Perhaps their actions were based on past experience in the high country with some vehicles getting into strife or causing problems for others simply because the owners chose (CHOSE) to take them out onto the roads whilst unroadworthy, Did any one bother to ask them what/why they were doing so?
AnswerID: 308351

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 18:42

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 18:42
very good point , Finding out why not only shows you have an interest in doing the correct thing , but also may help stop future mods to your car that you didn't realize was illegal

Boc
FollowupID: 574241

Follow Up By: Steve - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 22:00

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 22:00
I often wonder where the bloody hell they are as I drive along the F3 and see any number of cars with no rear lights - 4x4s in the minority as they are anyway (in number)
FollowupID: 574340

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 19:01

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 19:01
Craig,

Of two separate groups, 4wd and 2wd, who would you expect to be the most likely to attempt the more difficult tracks ?

Of the same two groups, who would you expect to be most likely to have extensively modded vehicles ?

You open with "Apparently last night". Were you there or not? If not, how can you state "let other cars with bald tyres & cracked windscreens through" ?

Sometimes we, as in 4wd community, get more than a wee bit paranoid.

AnswerID: 308391

Follow Up By: Crackles - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 21:05

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 21:05
No Al I didn't drive through Mansfield yesterday, just had someone drop in that had. As all the vehicles chosen for the roadworthy's while he was there were 4wd it was clear to him they were being targeted. And no he didn't actually see cars with defects but if the police didn't even direct them to the lit up area for inspection then they of course they will never find anything. 2wd or 4wd wouldn't really matter, more than 80% of either wouldn't pass a roadworthy.
Paranoid.... quite possibly but just posted to hear from others that may have been caught up in it.
Cheers Craig...........
FollowupID: 574309

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 22:43

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 22:43
Craig,

Yeah. see what you mean.

FollowupID: 574354

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 21:15

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 21:15
Caution, High Country roadworthies

Hiya Craig

Sorry mate don't need to be Cautioned,My Vehicle is 100% Roadworthy and i don't drink/drug drive...I go through Mansfield to get to my block a few times a year...
I'm glad guys are being picked up for bad mods,99% know its wrong but try plead ignorance when they get caught,there not insured for starter's,although they may still pay it...
I find it really hard to believe coppers let through bald tyres and cracked windscreens..

You don't have to be Einstein to see all the illegal mod's going on in the 4x4 forums...Dont forget they (Police) have internet access too..
OH Great there picking up all the Pedophiles and there knocking themselves off,now that's real progress...

Cheers
AnswerID: 308424

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 22:04

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 22:04
Most seem intent on giving you a gob full, I for one craig would thank you for the warning. This time it would not effect me (I'm up the other end of the country) but if there is a next time where it might, I would like to know ahead of time. Easy for a taillight or indicator light to be blown and us not pick it up for a few days or even weeks.

Agree that things are getting tighter on what can be got away with. But I think that is going for all types of modded cars these days, plenty of flack being copped by the boy racers on the M1 between Gold Coast and Brissy at the moment too.

Cheers, Trevor.
AnswerID: 308435

Follow Up By: Crackles - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 22:40

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 22:40
Wasn't particually meant to be a warning as such Trev as by the time I posted they're be moved on anyway, it's just I haven't heard of specific roadworthy targeting around here before other than towards the custom car clubs over at Shepparton. Hope it's not a sign of the times.
Cheers Craig..............
FollowupID: 574351

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 22:54

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 22:54
*Easy for a taillight or indicator light to be blown*

Hiya Trev

Thats not what they are after and you know that just as well as i...Some of these mod's are downright dangerous and if one killed your family that should have been picked up at a roadworthy stop but was'nt because he was warned about it, it would be a different story Trev...Same goes as warnings for booze bus'es..Stuff them, get the drunks OFF THE ROAD...

Most of the time if i can pull up beside someone at the lights i toot and tell them to wind window down etc etc,heh mate your brake light/indicator is out,how hard is that...

My reply was never intended to be nasty just like this one -(*-)

Cheers
FollowupID: 574365

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 08:42

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 08:42
Why worry, if your vehicle is legal

Probably chasing the "cowboys".

How many 4B's do you see, that have ridiculous modifications, ?

I see quiet a few !

I see heaps more perfectly roadworthy ones !
( hopefully I am the later),,,, and we can almost get into just as many places, as the cowboys.

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 308470

Sponsored Links