Holden Jackaroo

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 13:12
ThreadID: 58476 Views:6500 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I have noticed that some members have Jacks and I would appreciate feedback on them please? I have been offered a 2002 Holden Jackaroo Equipe 3.0l diesel with 109000 on the clock for 17grand. It is an automatic which suits me fine as the waroffice can drive it then. I will end up pulling a boat trailer camper behind it and will tour Australia when I retire. Some dirt and sand but not exceptionally heavy duty 4WDing.
Also I take it the twin batteries are both used to start the vehicle. So is it possible to fit another under the bonnet to drive fridges etc. and keep it charged when driving?

Thanks for your time

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 14:42

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 14:42
Hi Nev,

Sounds pretty good to me.

I'm not familiar with the diesel vehicles, as mine is a petrol, so I can't offer you any advice on space for a third battery, but they are very capable 4WD vehicles in any configuration.

If there is not enough space for another battery, you could consider upping the CCA rating of one of the starting batteries and install a deep cycle in the second cradle.

Another alternative would be to install a portable battery system in the rear of the Jack, for accessory use, such as fridge, etc.. Something like the "Thumper" I am familiar with and it comes with an in-car charging kit to charge it from the alternator while driving.

Derek from ABR also has a "Flyer" portable battery system but I'm unsure how this is charged. Derek is an advertiser on this site.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 308344

Follow Up By: Member - Nev (TAS) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 14:57

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 14:57
Hi Bill,
I will chase up with Derek if I buy the vehicle. I appreciate your response, thank yuu.

FollowupID: 574186

Reply By: madfisher - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 14:47

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 14:47
Nev, I have had two jacks a 91 2.6 and currantly own a 98 3.5 v6. I have had mine for 15 months covered 26000ks and have only had routine services and tyres in that time.
NOW the bad news the diesels where 10 years ahead of their time but it bit them where it hurt bigtime. The injectors are a thousand dollars a pop(get a quote) and run off high pressure engine oil.
Heaps of engines have been destroyed because the seals have started leaking and they then run on their own oil.They do have very good power and torque(118kw)
If all the recalls have been done maybe I would think about it(local gmh dealer can tell you this.
I looked at the running cost over 100000ks of a diesel and a v6 petrol and their was no diff, because the diesel requires twice as many services and the filters are much dearer.
The petrol v6s are reputed to do over 400000ks and are very powerfull. My best economy from a manual is 8.6ks per litre fully loaded at 105 using cruise on the hume. On the wat to tassie actually. The diesel is a good motor if the seal problem has been overcome but I did not take the risk. Personally I would pay less for the diesel than the petrol. The older 3.1 was a bullet proof moter but they only went to 97.
Jacks are cheaper up here on the mainland and are outstanding value eg 01 v6 98000ks $14800 immaculate.
Goodluck do some research on the archives on this forum
Pete
AnswerID: 308345

Follow Up By: Member - Nev (TAS) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 14:56

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 14:56
Thanks Madfisher,
I have been doing a lot of reading as you suggested. This forum has been excellent. I have already checked with Holden and the particular unit has had the recalls done and the injectors/seals all replaced. I was hoping to hear if there were any post recall problems with this motor. I have asked several other forums and some 4WD members here in Tas but nobody has any horror stories to tell me.
Thanks for your response I appreciate your time.

FollowupID: 574185

Follow Up By: madfisher - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 15:13

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 15:13
Nev they are a great vehicle and we have a series 2 Paj as well so can make a comparsion. What impresses me is the weight they can carry on standard suspension. As soon as you load the paj up it sits down at the rear. The Jack may have dropped 1in and we had a large esky in their that took two to lift. It is also very stable towing and does not even know my boat is their. The panels are a bit light but all cars are like that today.
Goodluck Pete
FollowupID: 574187

Follow Up By: Member - Matt (Perth-WA) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 14:32

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 14:32
What a fantastic response Madfisher!!

You are spot on!! Petrol and Diesel both great cars but if the recalls havent been done then the diesel is an expensive risk.

Nev, The Jackaroos are a very understated vehicle and revelled in the Isuzu truck build heritage and go forever.

If you were set on a diesel the earlier 3.1L TD Jack (pre widebody mid '90s) are a terrific option. Reliable and powerful with little to no electrics in the engine but lose you nothing in the cabin. Just harder to find now they are getting loinger in the tooth!

All the best with the search.

Matt.
FollowupID: 574513

Follow Up By: madfisher - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 07:37

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 07:37
Thanks Matt,
I am trying to find out how long the v6s last out of interest. The only rebuilt ones have been abused although from my research the earlier 3.2 may be the more durable motor some of these are now 400000ks plus. Some of the 3.5 do burn oil and this is something you have to watch when buying one.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 574697

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 16:05

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 16:05
I had a 99 SE TD for 8 years - did most of the servicing myself. The injectors were subjected to a number of safety orientated recalls - in mine for example, the seals were done twice and then finally the injectors were replaced completely ($$$$$ for Isuzu) - you can easily check with a dealer if yours has been finalised. They are a powerful and sturdy chariot and that price seems quite fair to me for that model and year. They used two batteries because starting can be a lengthy exercise in really cold weather - it is very important to use the right oil - the colder the conditions, the thinner the oil needs to be. In my mild environment, 10W-40 was fine - but in frosty conditions when camping for example, the stock battery would be hard pressed in trying to start on 10W-40. A 700CCA battery is quite ok for starting in mild conditions - the other cradle can then be used for an aux battery. That was my formula for camping - if I ran into icy weather, I just jumped the batteries with my cables. As for TD versus petrol - the TD was $4300 extra when new - not sure if that difference exists in the used offerings - looking at fuel prices now, a petrol on gas (with rebate) might be smart - and they didn't have any "issues" like the diesel, as I recall.
AnswerID: 308359

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 16:33

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 16:33
Good comments Darian.

Just one thing though. To my knowledge, the 3.5 V6 is not suitable for conversion to gas operation.

I like mine, even though the consumption is up around 18L/100k when towing the camper.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 574201

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 17:51

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 17:51
May well be Bill - I know bugger all about the petrol model - one thing is for sure - while I love the 05 TD GXL 100 that I'm now in (higher towing specs for my van plan), I wouldn't be getting rid of a petrol fourie that I was quite happy with ! Cheers.
FollowupID: 574215

Reply By: KevinT - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 17:16

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 17:16
Nev,
I have a 99 SE 3L diesel, has done 223000Km, had done 94000 when I bought it. I tow a 17'6" caravan which it does with ease, or a camper trailer. I get about6.5k per litre when towing the van, about 9.5-10 without towing. I don't go bush bashing for the hell of it, but have taken it to Cape York and across the Gulf country with camper. injectors were replaced under recall 2006.
The duel battery system has a solenoid setup which allows the second battery to run the Waeco overnight while protecting the main battery then recharges while travelling.
As previously mentioned, oil is important. I use Penrite HPR diesel 5 and have no problems with starting. Parts can be expensive from dealers but can be sourced eslewhere(filters, belts etc).
If I could buy a new one today, I would.

Regards KT
AnswerID: 308377

Reply By: Craigjackaroo - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 19:05

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 19:05
Hello Nev
I am the owner of a 2000 3.0 diesel with the 4JX1 motor and would not honestly recommend them to anyone. They do have a number of issues other than the injectors- Oil rail pressure sensors, Throttle position sensors, Injector wiring harness etc. Also keep in mind the servicing costs of these rigs is significantly more as there are two oil filters with genuine prices coming in around $80 for the main one and the need to use special semi or full synth 5w30 oil. Many people also recommend 5000km changes as compared to the recommended 10000km to keep it running smooth It has been previously mentioned that it was Isuzu who taught Toyota how to charge for genuine parts.
These motors have a hydraulic injection system with a proprietry computer system that you will find the average mechanic unfamiliar with. Fault codes can be read from onboard diagnostics but there are a number of faults that don't generate a fault code. There is a need to go to Holden for correct calibration on their proprietry Tech 2 for certain faults/repairs.
If you do decide to go through with the purchase at minimum open the connector near the dipstick. If there are traces of oil in it then demand a replacement injector harness and oil pressure and temperature sensor before purchase.

Regards Craig
AnswerID: 308392

Follow Up By: Member - Nev (TAS) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 13:44

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 13:44
Hi Craig,
Connector and surrounding area all clean.

Rgds
FollowupID: 574499

Reply By: Member - Nev (TAS) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 08:44

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 08:44
Hi all,
thank you for all your responses. Much appreciated.

Rgds
AnswerID: 308472

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:43

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:43
G'day Nev, I'm a bit slow out of the blocks on this one, but as a very happy Jack owner I cant miss a chance to praise the vehicle.
I went for the V6 after being frightened off by the diesel stuff
you have already been told about. But I must say that price looks good. I got a 2000 model with 80k for $14k. Like new, man hubs
which I prefer, auto. Hooked up a C/t & went to Broome & back, 4 adults, Ood, Tanami GRR, Bungles & so on...faultless. Averaged
just under 15L /100k, driven sedately. Big, strong, quiet &
comfortable. For my money the diesel advantage is very small
today & looks like getting worse. Cant believe I said that... I love
diesels but one must be practical. Anyway thats the commercial,
best 4wd you can buy for the money........oldbaz.
AnswerID: 308724

Sponsored Links