evernighter between perth and shark bay/nanga

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 20:55
ThreadID: 58487 Views:3041 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
G,day all
Myself and the better (???) half are of to nanga and shark bay next saturday for 4 weeks.Wondering if anyone knows an out of the way stop for a campsite about halfway or closer to nanga.
No i dont want to stop at kalbarri as we are stopping there for three days on the return
We are camping and self contained towing a small boat with the missan 4x4.Doesnt have to be flash just comfy safe and reasonable. Dont mind going a reasonable distance off road but dont want to travel half way to South Africa. Any ideas names would be appreciated thanks..B and Iz

P.S. S.H.M.B.Obeyed would like the beach but i'm easy and i'm sure she would be as well if it's okay..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 21:29

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 21:29
You might be interested in Coronation Beach.It is about 35km north of Geraldton and about 10 km to the beach off the main road.
AnswerID: 308426

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 12:57

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 12:57
That's where I was going to recommend.
MM
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 574478

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 21:42

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 21:42
There is a good rest area on the Murchison River. Excellent for an overnight stop.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 308427

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 23:13

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 23:13
I'd vote the Murch as well.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 574368

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 23:21

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 23:21
spot i think on the Murchasin just Nth of Kalbarri TO I think galena bridge - not out of the way but hey its just an overnighter
AnswerID: 308446

Follow Up By: nsngood - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 23:25

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 23:25
sounds like the murch might be the go.I'll look on google maps and see what i can see
Thanks everbody
FollowupID: 574373

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 12:59

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 12:59
This is a link to Galena Bridge within the Places section of ExplorOz.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 574480

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 14:25

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 14:25
Might pay to give Main Roads a call to check the river level. Been a spot of rain around as you know. When we crossed the bridge a while back I commented to my wife that while the camping area looked good it could be susceptible to flooding?
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 574509

Reply By: David A A - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 23:38

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 23:38
Hi nsn
Flies were very bad at Galena Bridge a couple of weeks ago, almost impossible to eat lunch. stop to see the river by all means but I doubt if you would hang around.
Horrocks or Port Gregory if you have not been to either, not to long drive in but both good for R&R/stress relief.
May pass you on the road as we are heading back to the Bay for a holiday in about 4 weeks.
David
AnswerID: 308450

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 00:01

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 00:01
I intended going to Ellendale Pool - a lovely looking spot on Greenough River inland a bit, but husband wanted to get to Wickham on 2 not 3 days, so drove until dusk. Hence we considered Galena Bridge on the Murchison (as a few have mentioned) a few kms north of the Kalbarri turnoff. I recalled noticing it used to be a small but popular overnighter; nice spot but so close to the highway, and I knew they had added toilets, so we checked it out. They have expanded the camping down along the south side of the river, new eco toilets and a dump point. Far enough away from the highway that the trucks didn't worry us, and there is plenty of room. Of all the overnight stops along this stretch, it is well and truly the best pick. If you want to push further north, Nerren Nerren rest area is an overnight stop, but too close to the highway for my liking.

If she wants the beach - sounds like Coronation Beach. I haven't been there, but you drive past the turn off just north of Geraldton.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 308453

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 00:11

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 00:11
By the way, it is easy to find the Galena Bridge site - accessed from old road both sides of bridge, east side. It is well signed as a rest area.

Motherhen

Image Could Not Be Found
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 574380

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 12:15

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 12:15
been to ellandale a coupleof times - nice
FollowupID: 574453

Reply By: grey_gypsies - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 11:57

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 11:57
We have spent a couple of weeks in Denham. Do you know nanga is pretty run down these days?
We haven't stayed there, just went there for dinner (which seemed to take take them by surprise, the restaurant had a closed sign up but fed us anyway) and since have heard pretty bad reports. -lack of customer service, cleaning, toilet paper -depends on what you expect.

We camped at Tamala station which is gorgeous for self sufficient campers but a long way from Denham.
Most of the campsites north of denham on the peron peninsular are still closed because of flooding.
The campgrounds in denham aren't that great, no playgrounds, one has a nice pool. let me know if you want to know more.
cate
AnswerID: 308499

Follow Up By: grey_gypsies - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 12:00

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 12:00
I mean the denham caravan parks, they are fine, clean, some busy, some not. Don't expect grass, too dry here for that. Heaps of mozzies, bring long sleeves and full strength repellent
FollowupID: 574449

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 15:57

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 15:57
I know this doesn't count as an o/night camping spot but an option to consider is staying o/night at the convent on the main st in Northampton. Very simple accommodation for ~ $10 per head, with kitchen available in the morning to get you on your way. There is plenty of room to park rig and trailer without needing to unload. Nice little town and some good walks to be had. Local pubs nice too with gd meals, or you can take your own and use the kitchen at convent.

Regards,Hugh
AnswerID: 308780

Sponsored Links