Gibb River Road 2008

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 01:07
ThreadID: 58493 Views:2117 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all, just decided that i might do the Gibb Road in about 4-6 weeks, just wanna know what the road is like and how many cars are on the road. Have done the trip a few times just would like to know if i can get into some of the nice camping spots without being surrounded and flooded by a million people. Though i know a fair few secret spots, i do enjoy camping around tourists and travellers and having a brew or two, just cant stand being camped on top of.

As i have lived in the area my whole life and take all the beauty for granted what are some of the places that you guys enjoy visiting and camping at. Am heading up from Broome to East Kimberley so thought bugger it this time i will take the Gibb and just take it slowly, got plenty of time to get there.

Any feedback would be great as i would like to try and experience this trip in the same way that other people who have never been would. Will definitely be taking a lot more photos this trip.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - The Crow (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 05:28

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 05:28
Hi we will be heading to the Gibb River Road at the end of July with luck we may strike you on the road somewhere.
200 Series V8 Diesel
Thanks for the Rest Flying West and Flying Very Low along the track not coming back. The Crow

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 308461

Reply By: Member - Yikes... (WA) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 10:37

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 10:37
hey tukka..

We did the GRR a few weeks ago, we found the road conditions to be very good, but then I guess it was the start of the season: so maybe they deteriorate the longer the season goes... We at times were able to sit on 90Km hr, others dropped down to 40 depending on the section we were in and were pulling a tandam trailer - which are not really made for this sort of thing.

Its a easy drive really, only saw about 10 others the entire trip and found the campin sites mostly empty - if you dont park for the night where the feul is: it prob helped that we tend to travel at times when most other people have left, or got well ahead of them before they did.

The river crosssings were mild, not much in them now but still gave us a bit of fun. At least the dingo's scared the handbrake.. made it worthwhile for me just seeing that

No flats, according to a local with the road improvements over the last couple of years they rarely happen to him - from doing a tyre every trip to hardly ever.. saying that thou - he told us that while we were pumping up his spare tyre for him... because he had a flat grin !

From our persective.. its the best experience that we have had while doing the block... truely a amazing place to vist and we will be back.

Hope the above helps someone....
AnswerID: 308488

Reply By: VH-GU4 - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 19:04

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 19:04
Road is in top condition. Plenty of spots to camp but just camp on authorised camp grounds, station owners are starting to take action for people who camp on there property with out prior approval if you get caught. Some places such as Barnett river gorge camp ground is now only day use only, this is making people have to camp in desiginated camp grounds where some one will collect a fee for a permit. This i find as unfar as you are then stuck with every one else and all there loud noise and the previous persons rubbish.
Dont plan on staying at Mornington station, if you get in you are very lucky as they only take 50 people at a time and two tourist buses will fill that quota.
Charnley river station is very nice, about 40 km to the north of the GRR near Mornington T/O. It has hot showers and flushing toilet and seems to be quiet all the time we go in there. Also has one the best kept gorges in the Kimberley, Grevillia gorge. Well worth a look.
Just watch out for othercars coming the other way on the wrong side of the road on a bend and the tourist buses who think they own the road and struggle to get to 80km/hr. Most people drive with there headlights on and if you see some one catching you just pull over and let them past.
Most of all enjoy the drive
AnswerID: 308587

Follow Up By: Oldsquizzy (Kununurra) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 19:25

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 19:25
Was in top condition...Rained friday night. between thirty and fifty mm's. From Mt Hart turnoff to this Pentecost river is now cut to pieces.. So when it dries out it will be rutted and chopped up.
Drove from Mt Hart to Kununurra today. Tis not a good road at the moment and will take a few weeks to repair.
FollowupID: 574586

Sponsored Links