Shurflo water pump....doesn't

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 09:57
ThreadID: 58497 Views:2307 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I seem to recall a thread some time ago concerning the pressure switch, micro switch dodad on these pumps, but I sure can't seem to find it now.

My problem is that both of my pumps in the slide on camper have stopped. The pumps themselves work (I've got bl**dy water everywhere to prove it) The diaphragm/micro switch thingy does not.

Do I need to replace the entire assembly on top of the pump or is there a simpler (cheaper) way. Also what would cause both to stop. They are about 2 years old with very little work done.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: troopyman - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 13:38

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 13:38
Flojet my son .

flojet
AnswerID: 308520

Reply By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 19:51

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 19:51
Rw Basham P/l in Sydney carry a large range of parts & have dealers all over oz

Regards Vince
AnswerID: 308607

Reply By: zigglemeister - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:54

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:54
If its the same as the one I used to have, (I think it was only about 4 or 5 litres/minute from memory) you can disassemble it carefully and just clean everything up. I found that mine used to get caked with a bit of brown crud, presumably from the water (this pump was hooked up to a rainwater tank) and after a while the micro switch would get sticky and stop working properly. It's been a while so I don't remember the exact setup, but there were no real difficult things - just make sure you don't lose the little spring and rubber piston. Old toothbrush to clean it all up, reassemble and should be good as new. Can't hurt to try if the alternative's replacing it anyway!

Tim Z
AnswerID: 308670

Follow Up By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 08:25

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 08:25
Sounds like a good idea Tim.
It seems it was the switch rather than the diaphragm that was causing the problem is that correct?
Chris
FollowupID: 574712

Follow Up By: zigglemeister - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:13

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:13
Yes, it was the switch - or to be more accurate, the mechanism that activates the switch, the switch itself was fine. In my case it was still switching off, but taking a very long time to do so - in hindsight, what I think was happening was that the piston (which is pushed upwards as the water pressure increases) was partially sticking, so that it required a much higher pressure before activating the micro switch. In your case it might be totally jammed.

I did clean up the diaphragm as well while I was at it, though, since I was in there anyway. Same deal - just an old toothbrush and water.

Tim
FollowupID: 574730

Follow Up By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:23

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:23
Thanks for that I'll go and pull it apart this morning and see what happens.
Not what I had in mind on my day off but better to do it now than way out bush at a later time.
FollowupID: 574736

Sponsored Links