sunday rant caravan park etiquette

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 17:22
ThreadID: 58521 Views:3337 Replies:10 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
we are currently in a park at the top of the gold coast and the number of ignoramuases who wander thru sites not their own is incredible
dont people realise that its serious breach of caravan park etiquette to do this ? do they bother to tell their kids about this ? we watched 2 kids (about 9)walk right across the people behind us ther concrete pad with all their gear set up ,as a still grumpy old bastard i would have revved them right up had it been on our pad as it was i just tol them to get out most of this is shear laziness

steve

rant over for this week
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mogul - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 17:38

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 17:38
50lb fishing line at about 20cm above ground level fixes the problem.
AnswerID: 308555

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 19:38

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 19:38
Copper wire with 240v travelling thru it is quiet a deterent as well!!.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 574595

Reply By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 17:54

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 17:54
Your in a caravan park, what do u expect???????????????
AnswerID: 308561

Reply By: bruce - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 19:42

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 19:42
I would rev them up and then ask them politely if they would like a guided tour through the rest of OUR site/belongings...it is in my opinion the absolute height of rudeness and disrespect...cheers
AnswerID: 308604

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:40

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:40
Hi Steve

It has happened a few times with us also,both times it was kids staying in onsite cabins with there parents, I just gave them a hint
about how to respect peoples space, without making a big fuss,
they didnt do it again.
PS did you enjoy the Wintersun Show down at Coolangatta, we couldnt get a car park, had to walk about 2ks to get there, we had a
fantastic time, as always.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 308621

Follow Up By: The Geriatric Gypsies - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:14

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:14
goodday daza
we are at the park in helensdale so its 45min trip each way we went on friday night for the parade and a look around and back again on sat we spent most of the afternoon walking we were knackered by the time we got back to the van so today (sunday0 we had a lazy day took our pup to labrador beach to the off lead area and then we went for a drive to nsanctaury cove for a look that place isnt for me
bit wet this evening though and tomorrow we are going for a trip to kipparing and bribie is to visit a couple of rellies
but its not to bad our friends have been coming for a few years and my cousins band had afew gigs again this year but the whole thing is a bit busy for us tuesday we head out to lightning ridge a little bit quieter

steve
FollowupID: 574629

Reply By: DIO - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:00

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:00
Understand where you are coming from, BUT could you or someone please show me where I can find the written rules of etiquette one should observe when staying at a caravan park? Problem is that so many people are so used to do their own thing regardless of any impact on their neighbour(s). Happens in metro area all the time, barking dogs, smoke from smelly wood fires, loud exhausts, reving engines, burn-outs, domestic disputes etc. Guess it's the (or one of) the prices we must pay for living in communities or built-up areas. I wouldn't use any of the suggestions (devices) stated by some 'cos f someone gets injured you coulod be up for offence similar to 'Set man-trap' - frowned upon by the authorities.
AnswerID: 308628

Follow Up By: T-Ribby - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:37

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:37
The last CP we stayed at had a written list of please don't do's on the site guide, but this didn't stop our next-door neighbours from inviting their non_stop_loud_talking friends over to their awning from 6am to 9pm. We went out a lot but it spoiled our R & R break. How many people complain about barking dogs and all the other nuisances stated above? I bet not many - that's why nothing changes. We were informed recently by the owners of two large bark all day half the night dogs that because they had spoken to their other neighbours, who were all dog owners also, and who didn't seem to hear them at all, we were the ones with the problem. I like dogs but I won't put up with this nonsense - neither did the Council after I wrote to them. However I digress. On the positive side, there are still good places to go to, and nice people to meet as well - that won't change.
cheers
T.R.
FollowupID: 574636

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:18

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:18
Yep, gotta agree....I've had heaps more aggrievances against dogs that have been given free-reign to do as they please than I ever have had for kids "trespassing" on my sacred little bit of camp area.

At least with kids, you can say something to them (politely) in an effort to educate them in the proper etiquette (as perceived by you anyway.....other campers may have a slightly different upbringing and not share your beliefs as regards etiquette).

I like to know who I'm going to be camping with/near and if I reckon there's a fair chance they'll have dog/s or in some other way be less than pleaseant to camp near, I will go out of my way to avoid that situation. Hence part of the decision not to be at innaminka for the get together in July.

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 574725

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:58

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:58
Yeah... but you, clearly, don't like dogs - I wonder if they like you? Good judges of character are dogs.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 574846

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:06

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:06
G'day Mike,

Not quite right mate; I actually DO happen to like dogs. When I was growing up as a kid in Narrandera, we always had dogs.... BUT we were dirt poor and NEVER went away on holidays. Since I left home and got a job and have had a couple of bob to be able to try and make up for time lost (as far as holidays are concerned), I vowed I would not own a dog. I wouldn't like to have to leave a dog at a kennel or with friends etc while I went on a trip, and I have seen enough pooches in my travels to realise that I wouldn't like to have people thinking about me the way that I think about them when the damn dog leaves a huge turd right in MY special camping space.

Even when Steve and Denny (author of this post) called in to see us last year, I went out of my way to make the dog happy while we all enjoyed a cuppa inside. But, that's a bit different to sharing a camping spot with some unknown person's dish-licker.

If only everybody was as responsible with their dog as Steve and Denny are with theirs.

No, I do like dogs mate, I just happen to believe they should stay at home (or at the very least be with their owners on a lead all the time; which wouldn't be much fun for man or beast).
FollowupID: 574877

Reply By: donk - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:17

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:17
A few years ago we were at Sydney Lakeside Caravan Park at christmas time & we were on a site close to the exit on the beach side of the park

We were sitting out side our van with our table & chairs & some people would squeeze between were we were sitting & the side of our van (about 4 feet of space) to short cut the way to the exit instead of following the pathway

Regards Don

AnswerID: 308636

Reply By: roblin - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:45

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:45
You know, for a long time I have been a grumpy prick at times (and I am only 42!) but I am trying to change my ways. Possibly this is because I am currently working in Africa and getting mad or frustrated doesn't help at all when language is a barrier or people don't know any different.

A friend told me awhile ago that 'a little sugar goes a lot further than a lot of salt!' Just imagine what response you would have gotten from the parents if you had given the kids a bollocking! They would have run off, told their parents and then the situation would have been exacerbated. But, if you were pleasant, pointed out what they were doing and asked them to go around sites in the future you are more likely to get a favorable response. The kids can't then go back and tell their parents that they were abused by some fogey in the van! They were simply asked to be polite....as per the example you would have just set!

Yes, I know that lessons start with the parents and that the kids should have known better BUT what if they had never been to a van park before? Maybe they were so focussed on the new attraction they became distracted and unintentionally wandered through the site. Who knows. But there is nothing wrong with any of us politely asking people doing such things to change there ways. If they continue to ignore you, then get upset.

My (more zen) thoughts anyway.
AnswerID: 308642

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:08

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:08
If they're kids on the GC they'll probably tell you to go get !!
But it's not really the kids talking, it's their parents/peer group.
As you know.
GC caravan parks are certainly not for the faint hearted. But it's not just the GC.
I was sleeping in a tent during the day at 80mile beach cp. Having spent the last two days and nights doing the Kidson, I was beat. Guy walks up to my bro and asks how long the snoring pig would be staying, as he could hear me 3 tents away.
Later that evening I walked past his tent and guess who the pig was then ?
Personally I'd rather snore loudly occasionally then be a rude ignorant and arrogant bogan.
FollowupID: 574646

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 01:20

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 01:20
"A friend told me awhile ago that 'a little sugar goes a lot further than a lot of salt!"
Sounds like a variation of "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar"!
FollowupID: 574688

Follow Up By: roblin - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:51

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:51
Yep, same thing. 'A little bit of nice goes a lot further than a lot of nasty' until, of course, the fighting starts!
FollowupID: 574825

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:26

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:26
FFS people. We are talking about 9 year old kids, who are on holidays, right? Haven't you, in your younger days, ever run across a neighbour's back yard? From the way you guys carry on you'd think all you ever did was sit at home and watch TV, but I doubt that's the case. Selective memory loss?

It seems like you'd prefer these 9 year old kids to stay at home and play the playstation until they turn 25 and then get an office job without ever venturing outside. Oh, but then you'd complain that the kids of "today" don't experience the real world.

As was mentioned above, if you see it as a huge problem have a chat with the kids (without preaching). It's not that hard.

R.
AnswerID: 308971

Reply By: 4ofus - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 11:32

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 11:32
Wow...Im worried now.
We have 2 young kids and I am paranoid about the noise they make to not bother other people. In the end it just gets us frustrated that we are trying to "contain" the kids.
Im sort of not looking forward to our two week long trip in a few weeks because we know there are people out there who forget what its like to be a kid.
But - I would be a bit peeved if people randomly wandered thru my site all the same.
Last time we camped at Lucinda , as soon as we had set up the tent, the older couple next to us drove their car and boat between our sites!! What a welcome. And we are new to camping as well.
AnswerID: 308981

Follow Up By: The Geriatric Gypsies - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 13:38

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 13:38
goodday 4ofus
its not the kids who are the problem the people behind us had 6 across 2 camps all was good its the parents who dont teach the kids a few manners that are the problem
when there is a path and they walk thru your belongings then its a problem

steve
FollowupID: 575225

Reply By: Jayco In The Bush - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:46

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:46
Hey there Steve,
It doesn't matter where you go or camp from time to time we all encounter some one not doing the right thing. We too had an experience camping in a 4x4 park. We turned up and went way down the back of the camping area away from others. We were expecting friends to join us the next day. We went for a drive around the park for about 2 hours and came back to find a 4x4 club setting up camp. To our amazement a pommy bloke decided to pitch his tent right next to our van, didn't even leave us room to park our car next to our camp. We told them we had others coming later that day and there is plenty of room else where. Things got fired up when the reply was " you didn't have this area marked out send them over the other side" their leader came over to see what the fuss was about and moved them over. There was acres of free space. The point is here they were first timers and probably from the city and had no idea that other people don't like to be smothered by strangers. gee they fired us up.
AnswerID: 309452

Sponsored Links