best place to stay in or around broken hill

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 19:36
ThreadID: 58532 Views:3824 Replies:14 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
hi, we are heading to Broken hill and Silverton in the July school holidays as i haven't been there was wondering if others have stayed there and could recommend a caravan park or steer us clear of a certain park before i make the booking, it doesn't worry us if it's out of town and hasn't got the bells and whistles as long as it's got the basics and is clean.
and is there certain things in the area that people can us to see/ do, we will be checking out any Mad Max things as hubby was a stunt driver (and one of the bad guys) in it many years ago so that's a must for us.
thanks from Chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ann 40 - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 19:44

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 19:44
hi,we stayed in the caravan park on willcania side of broken hill and would not hesitate to stay again,edge of town,quiet,clean (sept 07).Mad max replica car at silverton pub plus photo's on wall inside,also make sure your there when they startup the v8 outside sounds great,very good mining museum in broken hill itself have a great holiday peter
AnswerID: 308606

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 19:56

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 19:56
Stayed at the Family Parks, Lake View CP and found it fine.
As stated Silverton is a must. Living Desert Art Trail is also worth the walk.
I use this site as a starting point for the tourist stuff.
Site Link
AnswerID: 308611

Follow Up By: Ann 40 - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:54

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:54
yep thats it lakeview very nice,good place to base yourself
FollowupID: 574618

Reply By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:01

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:01
Hi Gonebush,
My recommendation would be Pemberton Park at Silverton. You can have a fire which is a plus for us, you are not crowded in at all you can be up to 200 metres from the next camper, it is like you are in the bush, it has the most magnificent trees in the creekbed at the back of the park, the showers are not luxurious but they have plenty of hot water and are clean what more do you want we were in Broken Hill in the July holidays a few years ago, stayed in Broken hill for a few nights then went to Silverton and Pemberton Park wish we went their first worth the drive into town for the peace and quiet and a fire. Hope this helps
Barb
AnswerID: 308612

Follow Up By: gonebush SA - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:36

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:36
hi, this park sounds good, like the idea of fires, do you have any further details about this park as i have googled it and didn't find it, thanks from chris.
FollowupID: 574610

Follow Up By: The Geriatric Gypsies - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:49

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:49
goodday gb
i also recomend this park we stayed there 12mths ago and will be staying again on our way to innamincka

steve
we had some wood but they provided more and a firebox

maybe ring tourist info at broken hill for a phone #
FollowupID: 574614

Follow Up By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:51

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:51
Gonebush,
Sorry got the name wrong it is penrose park got the P right Ijust checked it out by googling silverton, on the net it states $7.00 a night for adults and $15.00 for families, they have steam train kids can crawl over as well as birds and heaps of other things tennis courts and a bush golf course it is a not for profit thingy
barb
FollowupID: 574616

Follow Up By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:54

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:54
Gonebush,
here is their contact details hope this helps
Contact Details:
Penrose Park Camping Site
Penrose Park
Silverton, NSW 2880
Telephone: 08 - 8088 5307
Email: tourist@brokenhill.nsw.gov.au
Barb
FollowupID: 574619

Follow Up By: gonebush SA - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:14

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:14
hi, thanks Barb, i did google Penrose and have found it, it certainly sounds good to us and as an extra bonus good prices too which only helps as we have a LOT of ks to travel to get there.
chris.
FollowupID: 574628

Follow Up By: Member - Fred L (NSW) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:47

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:47
G'day Steve, (Geriatric gypsies) - I have some work to do in BH before heading north to Innamincka.
How long are you planning to take to get there? What route are you taking?
I figured leaving Tues morning to arrive on Thursday evening. Want to spend a night in Sturt NP and go via cameron Corner & Merti.
cheers
fredL
FollowupID: 574894

Follow Up By: gonebush SA - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 19:05

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 19:05
hi Steve, our plans changed today and now we wont be able to go until the next school holidays- Sept (i think), we have just bought an older van to put at one of our favourate spots (Point Turton on the York Pen.) to save keep tracking the good van down there and so we can simply pop down there for the weekend ect and now we will be taking the new van there instead of going to Broken Hill, other wise it would have been good to catch up. perhaps some where further down the track, have a great time chris.
FollowupID: 575098

Reply By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:12

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:12
Hi Chris.
We will be staying at Lakeview caravan park from 10th July until Mon 14th..
Might see you there.
Cheers.
Vince
AnswerID: 308616

Reply By: Member - Hughesy (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:25

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:25
Hi Chris.

I'm living in Broken Hill and recommend a few places to see but Member Dave B is a true local and knows this place better than I know the back of my hand (helps when he used to run tours for years). I'm sure Dave will respond to this when he gets home from work (not that he's probably working because of the rain).

None of the CP's in town would be a problem. They all have their good and bad points. Atleast it will be nice and green when you get here. We've had a heap of rain (for BH that is) and its still raining.

If your staying for a few days you have to go to Silverton, watch the sunset at Mundi Mundi plains. Take a day trip (or overnight) to the Menindi Lakes. Well worth alook since the lakes are full (except the main one) and the Darling River has water in it. Plenty of things in town to see too.

The Info centre in town is very good and the staff are very helpful. Tell them you are in town for x days and they will load you up with that much to do you'll need a holiday when you get home ;)))

Hope you enjoy your holiday anyway mate.
AnswerID: 308618

Reply By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:31

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:31
Stay at Silverton as per Barbara M has stated..Just like staying in the bush, but just 40 or so K's out from the Hill, with all the bells and whistles, and one of the best bush pubs you'll encounter. We drove through after 3 days staying in Broken Hill and regretted our missed opportunity. I know where we will stay next time. Broken Hill has 2 parks, and both are bursting at the seams every night, to cater for traffic in each direction. I have been caught twice, but never again.
Fred.
AnswerID: 308619

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:35

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:35
Whatever else you do out there, don't miss the tour of the RFDS Base.
Fred.
FollowupID: 574609

Reply By: TD100 - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:31

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:31
We stayed in the one on Adelaide st? rd? cant for the life of me remember its name. Paul
AnswerID: 308620

Reply By: DIO - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:51

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 20:51
The Broken Hill caravan Park, Adelaide Road. As you approach from Adelaide it is on the left hand side just past the Cemetery. I have stayed there on numeous occasions, it is quite central and the features and attractions of B/Hill are very easily accessed. You won't be disappointed. Link
AnswerID: 308624

Follow Up By: TD100 - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:21

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 21:21
that'd be him LOL
FollowupID: 574631

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:41

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:41
Ditto to DIO - this a big, straight forward, clean and tidy caravan park with good amenities - on flat ground, and with plenty of room to manouvre vans too. We found Sackville Kidman's grave in the huge cemetery next door (call us strange if you like - he was Sir Sidney's older brother :-o).
FollowupID: 574742

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:17

Sunday, Jun 08, 2008 at 22:17
We stayed at Lakeview last week. It is a bit quieter than the Adelaide road (less semis). There is some noise at Lakeview from the mine. I thought the sites were a bit tight. The toilets and showers are badly in need of renovation. BBQs poorly sited and little used up on the hill.The sewer dump point was definitely the most diabolically inadequate one I have used! We never did see the "lake".
Penrose Park is a good safe bush camp but 25KM out of town. There were a lot of families with kids there.
At this time of the year Broken Hill is on everyone's list. It would be adviseable to book ahead. We had the next tenant waiting as we hooked up at 9.30 AM. He claimed he was on Eastern time!

Kingo
AnswerID: 308654

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 07:34

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 07:34
Also, not many level campsites. If you have a tent or camper that is not easy to level this could be a problem.

FollowupID: 574696

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:23

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:23
Kingo,

If you did not see the lake its because you didn't look.

I will admit that you can't see the lake from most of the sites but you can hardly miss it from the shop/office at Lakeview CP.

It's called Imperial Lake and used to be used by the good folk of the Hill for recreational purposes. The council claim the is infested by a parasite that could make you ill if yo come in contact with it. I know that that is not necessarily true.

I stayed there for two weeks when I first moved up to the Hill in 2002 and had the use of an en-suite site. It was well grassed, level and my private amenities were modern, clean and functional.
The park owners are honest decent people making an average living from a lifestyle that makes mine look fantastic.

The kids in the sites opposite me had a great time each day at dusk spotting kangaroos on the hills just outside the park.

Duncs
FollowupID: 574726

Follow Up By: Outa Bounds - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 11:51

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 11:51
We used to live in Cobar, and also stayed at Lakeview when we went to BH for a long weekend I think.
Can't remember what time of year it was, must have been autumn / winter because it got really windy - great test for the camper trailer!

Anyway it was nothing flash but adequate. Yes not quite a lake view like I would have imagined, but at least it had a playground for the kids, a bit too cold to swim in the pool at the time but it looked nice.
We would have been happy to stay there again because it was much much quiter than the one on the other end of town. I think there was only one or two other people staying there at the time!
FollowupID: 575218

Reply By: Dave B (NSW) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:15

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:15
G'day Gonebush, Penrose Park is the place to go for a bush type setting. hot showers, plenty of room, and generally not to many there.
Make sure you have all your supplies though, because the only shops are in Broken Hill, 25 Kms away.
They probably have got the basics in the kiosk there at the park, I don't know, never asked to see what they have.
A really interesting mine tour is just near there at the Daydream too.
The Mad Max car is parked out the front of the pub.
It's only about 20 minutes to get back into town from out there, so it's not too far out.
If you go out to the Umberumberka resevoir about 10 Ks away, they have the most amazing big steam engine in the building there. They used it to pump water back to Broken Hill in earlier days. Try not to miss it. Drive in through the cyclone gates there, but I think they are only open Mon- Fri.
Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 308719

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:31

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:31
If you go out to Daydream, and I recommend you do, say G'day to the owners Kevin and Beth for me. Really good people and Beth's scones are pretty good value.

Take your time out there. If the weather is nice sit on the front verandah while you have a cuppa and just take in the view and the quiet.

The other place that I found very interesting in Silverton is the Coin Carvery. He'll tell you a story about what he does and it really is clever.

Duncs
FollowupID: 574728

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 14:43

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 14:43
Penrose Park is near Silverton just so as you know :0)

Call in and have a feed at the West Darling Motor Inn and say gidday to Kevin and Mary there, great feed and great people.

Mind you I couldnt find a BAD place to eat in the Hill, even the Pell St eatery home of DaveB was an outstanding feed and great people too.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 574795

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 19:13

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 19:13
Stayed
Lakeview CP because it was the only one with any greenery in it. Nice grassy section for the campertrailer and laundry facilities etc.

Visited
Silverton Pub and the Gaol museum as well as some art galleries out there.

The Living Desert Sculptures Fan-bloody-tastic.
Daydream mine tour was amazing and as Duncs indicated the tea and scones are to die for. Jock at White Cliffs ordered me to go there so i didn't dare not hehehehe...

Didn't have much time to do anything else as we were passing through and only stayed 2 nights but have to get back there for a longer stay next time.
FollowupID: 574849

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 18:45

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 18:45
Forgot to say RFDS base is a good visit too with a fine display set up for visitors. Planes taking off and stuff for the kids to see.
If you are into cemeteries BH has a HUGE one with about 80,000 sites ...i believe its some figure like that. I think that means there are more dead people than live ones in BH....LOL
FollowupID: 575291

Reply By: Max 460 - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:34

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:34
Hi there - We just spent 2 nights at the silverton park and concurr with all above comments. All you need, relaxed and spread out.

As I write this we're at the lake view caravan park in broken hill (due to all the road closures when we tried to leave yesterday!!) and it's also a great park, but much more like a regular caravan park.
AnswerID: 308723

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:29

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:29
G'day Chris, dont miss the Museum at Silverton, great displays.
The mine tour ,out of town, is good too, as is the sculpture park.
Tramway museum in town is excellent for train buffs. A daytrip to Menindee is worthwhile, great old shearing shed in Kinchega NP.
Excellent Tourist Info Centre can help with all the rest.
Enjoy......oldbaz.
AnswerID: 308732

Reply By: gonebush SA - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 11:06

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 11:06
hi, a big thank you to all that responded to my questions, i'm pretty sure Penrose Park seems to have the vote and it does sound like the sort of place we like, thanks also for the tourist advice, we are planning to be there about 10 days so we will have the time to check things out. any more comments are still welcome, just wanted to say thanks before this thread gets to old.
once again thanks from chris.
AnswerID: 308740

Reply By: Tim Owen - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 16:29

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 16:29
Lived there for 3 years. Go to South Broken Hill and get a Mlkshake at the Bell St Store (I think that is what it is called) and make out you're the Fonz for a few minutes.

Dont forget Mutiwinji (spelling?) national park including a walk to the gorge for a swim.

Check out Geoff Domains gallery - a fantastic local artist. Seek out the Broken Hill prison - a magnificent looking old building - with some great sculpture and paintings in the grounds.

Spend a sunset with a bevvy, cheese and bikkies at both the Mundi Mundi plains lookout, and the sculptures.

Go to the pub late in a sat night and get talking to some blokes in big hats. See if you can find out which pub Peter Black drinks in these days, seek him out at the bar (he WILL be there) for a chat.
AnswerID: 308787

Sponsored Links