Holden Rodeo latest model Towing Capacity issues.

Submitted: Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 14:32
ThreadID: 58556 Views:9491 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem with the new Holden Rodeo. I have had no help from Holden in regards to this, though they do keep telling me to read my owners manual on towing. I purchased last year the latest model Holden Rodeo Ute with the 3ltr common rail turbo diesel (120kw). I am happy with the car and its performance except when towing a load under certain conditions. I have found that up here in the tropics when towing a load up a range at 90 in 4th during the wamer months the engine starts to overheat progressivly and you must back off the throttle, change down to third and travel at 60k to level back the temperature. At no other time is there a problem. My thought is that it just has not got the cooling capacity (it has got the power) to tow their stated loads. Regards Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Matt (Perth-WA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 16:05

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 16:05
Well done Tony you will also be doing the turbo a favour too!! When the engine temps get up like that the EGT is already heading for the danger zone and your likely to do permanent damage.

Glad you have solved the problem by backing off and cruising at a gentler pace when towing up long climbs, about all you can do when there is 120kw on tap. Dont worry you will still be cruising past most trucks!!

All the best

Matt
AnswerID: 308782

Follow Up By: tonyfish*58 - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 16:37

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 16:37
Matt. Thanks for that, would not like to damage the new car. Will be doing a trip to WA accross the centre from Cairns next month. Hopefully it will not play up through the sand in the hot country, had no problems in the sand at the coast. I have made a slide off camper out of alloy to keep the weight down a bit. Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 574808

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:17

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:17
I posted on here not long ago about my cousins new rodeo. He has towed a trailer only a couple of times 2200t from here in Sydney up north and has never been an issue with temp rising, yes its working its but off pulling the hills mind you it wont do 90 anyway up some of the hills and is some times back in third and revving quit hard BUT the temp hasnt risen on him. Must say but he hasnt been in the tropics as you describe so maybe this is why he hasnt had an issue. Possibly would do the same thing in the area your talking about ?? Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 308830

Follow Up By: tonyfish*58 - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:27

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:27
Ta Steve. Yes mine did not play up when I first got it, it was winter up here in Malanda and raining most of the time. It was when summer hit and no rain on the road, happened everytime coming up the range from the coast then. Last weeks trip was the first since it became cool and hardly a problem, only a slight rise that did not continue upwards. Must be our tropical heat. Regards Tony.
FollowupID: 574837

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:53

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:53
Not sure how many klms you have done but has it had its first coolant change yet ?? Probably not the problem but when I was working at Toyota years ago we had issues with some of the imported toyota's, (cressida's, tercel wagons etc) and what it was, was the coolant that they were using in the dealership was different to when they come over from Japan and if not flushed out properly including the heater core the two coolants would eventually mix with each other and cause a gellling effect in the radiator and leading to reduced water flow there fore running hot etc. Probably not the reason but just a thought. Regards steve M
FollowupID: 574844

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 15:08

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 15:08
Steve. Thanks for that. Ive turned over 20,000k now so had two full services.
FollowupID: 575044

Reply By: Paul Grabonski. Vic - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 08:31

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 08:31
what weight are you towing?

have you checked what you are towing loaded on a weigh bridge?

have you checked the total weight of towed item and vehicle loaded?
AnswerID: 308955

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 15:15

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 15:15
Paul. I have not done the weigh bridge but gesstimates are well under the max tow weight. I have a 5.5 mtr plate alloy boat, manufacture weight of 750kg. Outboard 150kg. Single axel braked trailer say 550kg max fuel & accessories 250kg max. So lets say 1800kg. I do not carry anything in the ute when I tow the boat. But I suppose you would have to add the winch , bullbar, aircond, spare wheel, etc to the sum if you want to know the exact weight. Still should only add up to around 2200kg Max. Suppose I will have to do the weigh bridge thing. Thanks. regards Tony
FollowupID: 575048

Reply By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 09:19

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 09:19
Is it an auto transmission? If it is, it's one reason I won't tow with an auto again.
AnswerID: 308962

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 15:17

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 15:17
Hi no its a manual, thats how I change down to 3rd gear, I do not like autos as some do. Ta Regards Tony.
FollowupID: 575049

Reply By: oz doc - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 09:43

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 09:43
Hi Tonyfish*58, We have just taken delivery of our Rod this week. On reading the book there was a statement about the temperature gauge reading quite high under load, but unless it goes right into the red zone, you don't need to stop. However I'm sure what you are doing is a better idea- back off a bit and use a lower gear to the car can do its job more efficiently.Haven't been able to tow with ours yet - need to get 1500km under our belt first.Looking foreword to trying it out though.Cheers.
AnswerID: 308968

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 15:28

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 15:28
Thanks. I will re read the owners book, did not come across that though read it through and through. You will be happy with the car, quite capiable as a 4 x 4. I have had to do quite a few mods to make it go where we like to go, had trouble before that, they are a bit low to the ground. I put the Snake Racing full 2" lift kit in, the best thing I have done, the ground clearance gives me 50% more capability, used to bottom out in heavy sand until then. Also Air Bag assist was a must for the load, the rear srings are to put bluntly poo. The 4 x 4 system can be a pain when it is new, a bit hard to get out of and into low at times. If you have trouble do the shift to neutral and then select from there where you want to go and that gets on top of it. I made a slide off camper with rooftop tent for the rear, if you are interested quite cheap to make. If you need some advice on Mods just contact, I have plasted a few on the rig to date. Thanks Regards Tony
FollowupID: 575050

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 17:03

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 17:03
oz doc. Well humble pie it is. Holden told me to read the towing chapter re problem. Of course that is what I did. Unfortunatly information I needed was in Emergency chapter under overheating, silly of me not to look there, shame they did not reference to it. The conditions described are the ones where I overheat, so we have the answer. If it happens to you just back off until your on the flats again and no problems. Thanks that found the answer - shame Holden did not know the book as well as you read it. Regards Tony
FollowupID: 575075

Sponsored Links