What Camper trailer to buy in Victoria

Submitted: Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 16:04
ThreadID: 58562 Views:7499 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there
Im in the market to purchase a camper trailer for 2 adults and 2 kids 9 and 5yrs. To be used for a trip into the oz outback kimberley, Broome, Tanami etc. Keen on advise on the good brands to buy. Additional options anyone can suggest ( what type of springs suspension ), Is there rust proof material. Id want to spend nothing over $10,000, Are "Outback Campers" any good? thanks, James
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 16:45

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 16:45
*Are "Outback Campers" any good? thanks, James*

Hiya James

Yes they are and John has a very good reputation,His Canvas work is very good too for accessories if required !

Cheers
AnswerID: 308790

Follow Up By: Matt(WA) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 00:04

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 00:04
Its Jim Warfer. Jim Coulson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 574952

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 16:48

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 16:48
Whats wrong with the other one's made in other states of Australia.
AnswerID: 308791

Reply By: Dave & Shelley (NT) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 16:53

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 16:53
Hi mate,

The market is full of options. It all depends on what type of travelling you would like to do. Travelling through the Tanami is different than camping through it. For $10,000 a new soft bottom floor camper is what you will end up with. I bought a second hand Kimberly Kamper (1996) which was one of there first and that has been great and was under $10,000. I would opt for a good second hand version because I have been spoilt with the hard floor. Would never go back to a soft bottom. It is a squeeze to fit four but it could work. I suggest checking out the trader (on this website) and seeing the options around as bargains are available. Remember that a lot of vans will be hitting the market soon due to the fuel prices so campers are either going to follow suit or become the preferred way to travel (my tip based on drinking rum right now).

Good luck mate and post what you end up getting
AnswerID: 308793

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:14

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:14
Hi guys

If you wouldn't mind sparing a few minutes would you explain the difference between soft and hard bottom camper trailers to me, please?

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 574816

Follow Up By: Garbutt - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:19

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:19
Mike,
The hard floor camper is one where the roof flips over to become the floor when the camper is put up. The soft floor, as I have, is literally that, a vinyl or canvas floor, the problem is with soft floors is you need to clear rocks, sticks etc from the ground where the floor is going to go, where the hard floor the ground roughness doesn't matter and the hard floor can also be adjusted for level via the usual type of threaded legs. Hope this makes sense after 2 bottles of ox blood.

GB
FollowupID: 574883

Reply By: Member - Tom V (WA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:13

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:13
hi james
I have been looking around for the past couple of months, as well. but for 2 adults.
having hired camper trailers quite a few times, i now have an idea what to look for.
I have done a lot of google searches, get magazines(camper trailer) & other 4wd ones, look @ trader on this site, look @ www.myswag.org & other web sites.
by "outback campers" do u mean the MFG here in Perth. if so I have had a look @ his premises & campers. all very good & they now do make a hard floor model.
I now have a lot of web sites in my computer of the various aussie manufacturers. it's now just a case of narrowing down to the one that suits my budget.
good luck. cheers Tom
AnswerID: 308804

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 21:07

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 21:07
Hi Tom.

We had been looking like you for some time and prefered to buy local made in WA if possible.Ended up buying a Downunder made in forestdale and used it for the first time this weekend.We think we made the right choice canvas work very good and trailer well built.Give me a ring if you want 97212559.

Cheers Graeme.
FollowupID: 574903

Reply By: madcow - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:18

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:18
We have a Southern Cross and I believe they are still close to the $10000 mark new. It really depends on what you want in the camper to begin with. A mate has an "Outback" camper and it is a good setup. The only thing I do not like about ours is the width of the awning. Ideally it shoould be the same width as the roof of the main tent when setup and provides that bit more protection when the weather is ordinary. Just my opinion! We have an innerspring mattress and is a hell of a lot better than a foam one. As metioned previously a good secondhand one that may have had mods to it already may be a better option. A member of our club picked up a secondhand Southern Cross Camper for under $4500.00! Bargain.

Good luck and enjoy it!
AnswerID: 308805

Reply By: ian - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:22

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:22
Hi James,
I would look for simple but strong suspension. Leaf springs work fine. You will always get surface rust with a steel trailer. It is not a problem.
As you are in Victoria you should look at Tambo Campers. Mine has done everything you ask for plus more. Excellent canvas work also.
have fun
Ian
AnswerID: 308806

Reply By: Best Off Road - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:27

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:27
James,

We do campers at a very reasonable cost. There is an ad in the Trader section. Feel free to pop into the factory and have a look.

Are Outback any good? Yes, they've been at it for years and have a fine reputation.

Jim.

AnswerID: 308832

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:34

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 18:34
James,

I can only second what Ian has said above regarding theb Tambo range. I did a lot of research prior to heading off on a 12 month round Australia trip in 2006. Settled on the Tambo Cooper. It's a fantastic unit, robust, great canvas work. Took everything I could throw at it with not a single problem. There's a few photo's of it on me profile page. Pop in and talk to Keith at Wantirna.

Cheers. Mick

P.S. A search of the site will find many other testaments to the Tambo trailers. M.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 308834

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 05:11

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 05:11
James

My advice to you is to go and hire a few different ones, for short weekend trips, to get a feel for what you want , before you really make up your mind.
Then you may know exactly what you are looking for.

One thing you want to look for is Independent, Coil Suspension. In order to get an idea of heavy duty, but good I suggest that you have a look at Trak Shak or Ultimate suspension..

Now, I have to apologize to all the leaf spring CT people out there, as there is nothing wrong with "good" leaf springs, but its a fact that coils do it a lot better.

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 308940

Sponsored Links