Keep River NP in NT

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:22
ThreadID: 58592 Views:2260 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
If we go down the Duncan Road, we'll be going right past. Anyone been there? If so, any recommendations? Suitable for caravans?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 11:19

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 11:19
We dropped in for a few hours in 06 - would stay longer next time - quite a few vanners in the good campground - did a one hour walk through interesting terrain - nice lagoon rear of the Ranger station too - coupla pics.
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 308980

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 11:30

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 11:30
Thanks Darian, nice photos too.

I note from the map there are two camp grounds; do you recall are both suitable for caravans?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 575006

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 19:38

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 19:38
We saw so much on that trip that it is getting a bit fuzzy - think the others answering below have covered it - but we saw vans in the further campground - far as I recall, it was the end of the road in.
FollowupID: 575108

Reply By: timothy - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 15:44

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 15:44
Hi Motherhen,

We did an overnight stop in Keep River this time last year for and really enjoyed it. We towed an on-road caravan out and stayed in the Gurrandalng camp area because the Jarnem one was closed, the camp sites at Gurrandalng are shady and fairly big but are formally set out if you can see in the pic below.

The rangers came out and did a campfire talk about the area, complete with hot chocolate and coffee. The walk at Gurrandalng is great at sunset and it's not too hot to do the complete loop, you get great views of the country and Kellie's Knob.

The Nganalam art site is good, but I wouldn't do the Jinumum walk unless you're particularly keen. The road in is dirt and has minor corrigations. Hope this helps!

Tim

Campground

Kellie's Knob
AnswerID: 309016

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 16:43

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 16:43
Thanks Tim

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 575068

Reply By: Member - John L (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 18:45

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 18:45
Lovely spot, Spent 3 days on way home to WA from NT last Sept. Rangers supply wood (recycled from unsuspecting travellers stopped at Quarantine Station on WA border). Had a great cook up with 4 other travellers all eating fresh food not allowed into WA - included big bag of fresh walnuts from Gippsland! Try the walk at sunup AND sunset. Cheers Heather
AnswerID: 309063

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 20:11

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 20:11
Thanks Heather and John

We will go. Only problem is for us, if we stock up on fruit and veges in Kununurra, the Duncan Road we will take heading south weaves in and out across the border, and I don't know whether they let you take WA purchases back in again - they don't at other border stops now. I'll have to research that one. We plan to head out on the Tanami when our Kimberley touring is done.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 575114

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 20:04

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 20:04
Motherhen,

I wouldn't have a clue what the park is like now, but I worked on Newry station from '68 to '71, which then encompassed all the current park.

Some of that country is the most charismatic scenery I've ever seen, and I grew up in the Blue Mountains in NSW. We used to say that we were getting paid to work in paradise........well, when things were going along okay, that is.

Down towards Police Hole there are the gorges, and rocky hill country, and this is the more delightful area. The roads used to get quite bull-dusty after some use, but they may have done something about this.

Woud strongly urge you to visit,

Hooroo,
Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 309080

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 20:07

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 20:07
Thanks Bob - it is now on the itinerary

Mh