Landrover 130 dualcab diesel! Opinions Please.

Submitted: Monday, Jul 07, 2003 at 18:57
ThreadID: 5860 Views:4231 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

As a middle aged old fuddy dudey I have driven/owned a variety of 4x4's patrols, hilux,landcruser and a series2/3 landrover.
I sold my last 4x4 around 1yr ago and feel lost without it! (a Falcon just ain't the same!)
I have recently driven a 1995/6 landrover 130 dualcab with a 6/7ft rear deck, it was a turbo diesel and seemed to go quite nicely.
I hope to get opinions of all interested about this vehicle before I purchase anything!
All comments good or bad most welcome.
Cheers guys, keep rocking and rollin!(NO not rollin!!)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Monday, Jul 07, 2003 at 19:09

Monday, Jul 07, 2003 at 19:09
Hi tomic,
Last September we bought a '96, 110. I was no Landrover fan it seemed to have what we want. We were after a vehicle that can go anywhere and can take the hard knocks, we certainly didn't want a pretty car!
This vehicle had 116,000km's on it and has been in Central Australia all of it's life, I have got to say if you want a vehicle to go anywhere, I wouldn't go past a Defender, I am just over six foot and find the seating position very comfortable, we have recently come back from a three week 6,000km trip and not once did I find it uncomfortable. The fuel economy is good considering they are shaped like a block of flats!
Reliability has been good, a couple of niggling problems but then it is Pommie.
If I was going to buy another four wheeler to do the serious stuff, I would find it hard to go past these machines.
Hope you have a great time in it.
Nigel
AnswerID: 24413

Follow Up By: tomic - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 17:19

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 17:19
Hi Nigel,
Many thanks for the comments my friend, nice to see' the Drover' still likes to please, even with it's niggly faults (We all have those!)
The others may 'look good' but when the poop hits the fan eh!
I have pulled out of a lot of tight spots with my old Drover and its diff locker!!
Cheers mate, Tom.
FollowupID: 16453

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jul 07, 2003 at 20:18

Monday, Jul 07, 2003 at 20:18
I sat in one at a car yard in Carrum Downs/Seaford, and they 'feel' really agricultural..

Are they? EG Comfort was never an option
AnswerID: 24418

Follow Up By: tomic - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 17:24

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 17:24
Hi Truckster,
I would have to agree, they do leave a little to be desired in the comfort stakes!
The large centeral 'arm rest' needs 'slimming' and the seats widening, then it would be much better.
I think this could be done OK and you would be left with a great tough go anywhere, no frill's vehicle.
Many thanks for the feedback, Regards Tom.
FollowupID: 16454

Reply By: Steve from Drive Systems Victoria - Monday, Jul 07, 2003 at 20:29

Monday, Jul 07, 2003 at 20:29
Curious ergonomics, intrusive engine noise, small driveline componentry,agricultural appointments,easy to dent panels and poor clearance under that monster rear diff housing. Can't have everything I spose? If these few hang ups don't worry you, then go for it.
AnswerID: 24420

Follow Up By: tomic - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 17:32

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 17:32
Hi Steve,
Yep yer probibly spot on mate! although I think the engine noise is much better now than it was before 1995!
As for ergonomics well what can I say!! It's no pritty painting for sure BUT it does have it's own querky style!
It was designed as a 'farmers' vehicle, tough as nails, practical easy to work on and ain't changed much since then!
The panels may dent easy BUT they don't rust, big plus, anyway you can easy knock alum out!
Gearbox's problem's do seem to crop up a lot though! but I hope that would be sorted after 1996!
Cheers mate, regards Tom.
FollowupID: 16456

Reply By: Eric - Monday, Jul 07, 2003 at 23:17

Monday, Jul 07, 2003 at 23:17
Tomic.
The 130 is a very good machine. there is a few od things like the bar across the floor just where the rear seat pasengers want to put there feet, and some of the early air con instalations left no where for the front pasenger to put there feet flat on the floor. The very first models had a timing belt problem but I gues you knew that. Apart from those items the 130 is a great long distance touring machine able to carry the wieght of you camping gear and fuel. Eric.
AnswerID: 24438

Follow Up By: tomic - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 17:37

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 17:37
Hi Eric,
Nope did not know about the timing belt problemo! will watch out for that one!
I have had a couple of 110 (old one's the newest being a 1985 model!)
but had nothing to do with the newer 130 beasts, they look ideal for a family trip and room for the kitchen sink!
Cheers Eric, regards Tom.
FollowupID: 16457

Reply By: nugget - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 00:28

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 00:28
Tomic,
Used to own a Landy 110, own a GQ Patrol at the moment. I appreciate the Patrol but dont really love it. Loved the Landy but sometimes didn't appreciate it! eg oil leaks, somewhat noisey, wet feet when it rained, woefull ergonomics, the list goes on. Will definitely own another one one day. Maybe one of those new 90's. Convincing the "minister of operations" though will be nigh on impossible.

Problems with them are cam belts breaking prematurely. They must be replaced at 60 000km intervals. Gearbox mainshaft spline wear. Problem fixed around 1995 with cross drilled transfer case input gear. Brake vac pumps dont seem to last that long. Rear axle drive flanges wear out quickly due to no oil in the rear hubs since early 1990 models. (they fitted inner axle seals because they couldnt make a decent hub seal. ) It is a good idea to fit Maxi Drive flanges, remove the inner axle seal and use a double lip hub seal as on later Range Rovers.
I hope this helps and enjoy your Landy. I find them a joy to drive.
Cheers
AnswerID: 24446

Follow Up By: tomic - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 17:45

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 17:45
Hi Nugget,
Thanks for the feedback mate, much appreciated.
I used to own a '92 patrol, always seemed very much like the landrover in many ways only the Jap's styled it a lot better!
The landy do have something though, not quite sure what but!
Look's like you will have to take 'the Minister' out, wine and dine! you never know!
Thanks for the 'look out for tips', will write it all down for inspection!
Cheers Mate, regards Tom.
FollowupID: 16458

Reply By: Old Jack - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 16:43

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 16:43
Tomic
rail services Australia (NSW RAIL infurstructure) has a fleet of 130's with rail wheels & drives installed, only duel cab "Strong Enought" to do the job, for all the comments about landrovers the likes of state rail & the ARMY own heaps of 110's & new DEFENDERS are being added to the fleet now. The army expects them to last 20-25 years, they buy toyota LC and sell them off after a few years.... they base what they buy on what they KNOW they can do with the truck not what the ADDs say! they litrially take them out & overload them to twice the rated load capacity & drive them over a test track for days (ARB sold air lockers to the army only after they past the test on the torture track)
happy motoring
AnswerID: 24484

Follow Up By: tomic - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 17:58

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 17:58
Hi Jack,
Thanks for a lot of positive info. it all very interesting when you look at the comparisons!
Maybe it's says something about why little has changed in the basic design, maybe the pom's had a good setup from square one!
I did here that the Army was using 'crusers now instead of 'drover's but it seems the 'drover is still in favour, bigest, toughest and best eh!
Looks like I will have to start planing for a landrover 130 hunt! It is the most covenient for family,camping, farming and firefighting, a good all rounder!
I hope to keep this one for a good while and maybe upgrade the internal comfort a little!
Cheers mate, best regards Tom.
FollowupID: 16459

Follow Up By: Matt M - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 21:30

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 21:30
Old Jack,
just a few comments on the Army LR 110s..It was a political descision to STAY with the Landrovers and was not by merit in any respect, alot of old soldiers had a say in it!
They Army versions of the 110, ie 3.9 Isuzu, 4 speed trans and not a sway bar to be seen, are VERY capable off road its only the on road that tends to sour them. Extream amounts of body roll caused the army to retrain ALL the drivers for the introduction of the 110, they lean but dont tip unless the driver panicks!
It may be the army drivers?? but I have replaced endless diffs, axles tcase output shafts, tcase third diffs and hub drive caps. Could be driver error, ie centre difflock engaged and run on bitument, axle wind-up snaps everything!!!!! literrally!!!
The LC the army have are fleet (DASFLEET) so they HAVE to be rotated every few years! The Rovers are owned and they just keep getting rebuilt and put back out there, so you cant compare that as a reason to staying with the Rover!
All our rovers have open centre diffs, only a few out there have lockers and they are in the West with the Long Range Patrol Vehicles! These rigs have trialled everything from ARB lockers to Detroit! Personally..Love the detroit very easy to accustom to road use even in the constant 4x4 of the Rover!

There is heaps more out there about the Army Rovers, good and very bad, but due to the different configuration and the driving habits of the Army drivers it is very misleading when you try to compare these to Civi Rovers.
Tomic, if you are happy with what you have heard about Rovers and you descide to go with the tractor then great and I wish you all the best with many km of happy driving but please dont base any of it on the Army varients, they are chalk and cheese.

Goodluck, Matt.
FollowupID: 16468

Follow Up By: tomic - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 10:57

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 10:57
Many thanks for clearing that up Matt, I thought a little politic's may be involved somewhere!
But never mind, still a very capable vehicle, as good 'off road' as the rest but cheaper to buy!
I would have thought a shear pin device would have been used to prevent serious drivetrain damage with the difflock (mind you if your dumb enough to drive on solid ground with it engaged maybe you deserve to do repairs!!) not that that help's the mechanic's who have to repair other people's stupidity eh!(I know all about that being a electro-mechanical engineer, underground coal mining trained!)
Which of the big boy's is easiest/cheapest to run! any idea:o)
All the best to you mate, keep on rockin!
TomIC
FollowupID: 16487

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 18:15

Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 18:15
Hi Matt,
I understand that the the older 110's are differant to the standard version(also got galvanised chassis as well ?), and yes to can keep rebuilding them. there is a batch of new LR being supplied (100 of them?) of the standard production line with custom modifications in Australia. Will be intesting to see how they go...

intersting about the detroit lockers with the constant drive , had them in the rear end of 2WD utes in the past + drag car's & have been very impressed.
FollowupID: 16546

Sponsored Links