sidewinder fridge/freezer

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 19:33
ThreadID: 58613 Views:3367 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
anybody considering buying a new fridge should seriously consider one of these . i bought one just before leaving on an 8 week trip from perth to kununara & return including the gibb river road & kalumbaru . we packed the fridge and freezer to the brim before leaving and it worked perfectly .
we camped on ningaloo station for 6 days & the thermometer showed ambient temperature maximums from 38 - 52 degrees ( whilst the fridge was sitting in the canvas awning of the camper )
it also showed the fridge never rose above 3.4 degrees everything in the freezer stayed frozen .
we have two agm batterys totaling 210 amp hours & although after 4 days the fridge was still going , i ran the generator/charger for the day & never used it again on our trip as all our other stays were 3 days or less before we ran the car . i would highly recommend this fridge to anyone for quality/price & reliability . i have no vested interest in this product i am just one very happy customer . ( i also own an engel )
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 21:14

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 21:14
I will second that just returned from a 5 day trip over at Straddie for the June long weekend and once again the ice-cream stayed frozen and so did the ice for the rumbos
AnswerID: 309101

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 10:58

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 10:58
G'day Brad.....Glad to see that you made Kulumburu and other places by the look of it....

Remember us from Ellenbrae?.....assume the welding repairs held up ok?

we arrived home last Friday........if your interested in caching up one day give us a hoy

Regards

Graeme & Anne
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 309187

Follow Up By: bradnshaz - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:45

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:45
gday graeme & anne,

yep the welding did hold up , but the other side did excactly the same thing the next day .
luckily, we only just left drysdale station so limped back there for repairs . at a reasonable price too $105 .
although i had to fork out $290 for a new tyre .

the rest of the trip went well apart from getting rained on at carnarvon ,again, on the way home .

wondering if you managed to catch a barra ?

we would love to catch up one weekend soon
email me at bradnshaz@yahoo.com.au & we can work out the details

cheers mate see you soon

brad

FollowupID: 575627

Reply By: Member - Allan C (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 21:14

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 21:14
We have previously had two Engel fridges, which due to noise and vibration we changed for a Sidewinder and we would agree with you about the performance - no issues at all - definitely the quietest and smoothest fridge we have owned.
Our problem is that about 10 days out of warranty, when we had the fridge running in the garage it just stopped running. We contacted Derek Bester from Sidewinder and he was most helpful and sent us down a replacement board which we fitted, but to no avail.
The next step was to take it to the first electronics place that Derek recommended, but they wouldn't touch it as it was a fridge they knew nothing about, so we notified Derek and took it to the next place he recommended. Derek had already rung this person, so he was expecting us and currently has had our fridge for over a week.
We have been told by Derek that he will supply parts at cost - but to just stop running so soon out of warranty and have to pay for parts and labour -even at cost - doesn't leave a good taste in our mouths.
Hopefully it is just one of those things and all will be well from now on - we will have to wait and see.
AnswerID: 309362

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:34

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:34
PM via your profile...

Dave
FollowupID: 575455

Follow Up By: bradnshaz - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 13:08

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 13:08
gday allan
not so good to hear about the fridge , but good to hear that derek is doin his best to resolve the problem .
can understand you having a bitter taste having to pay for repairs
when just out of warranty though .

but saying that ,electronics fail everyday & its just unfortunate that yours failed when it did .
a 1 year warranty does not last for 1year 10 days .

i hope it all works out & would be interested in what it costs you to repair

regards brad
FollowupID: 575630

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 22:13

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 22:13
Actually it does on expensive items.

In Victoria it's called "implied warranty" and it's covered in the Trade Practices Act.

It is based on the principle that the consumer can reasonably expect a product of significant value to perform it's intended function for a reasonable lifespan.

It's also why extended warranties are a joke. Retailers are collecting money to cover their implied warranty obligation so that when that right could have been exercised by the consumer anyway they are still making a profit on it.

I've used it on an 18 month old phone that failed. Consumer affairs took the position that I had a reasonable expectation as a consumer that a phone with a RRP of $900 would last the two years that the it was contracted for. It was replaced with a refurbed unit.

The "implied warranty" is between the retailer who sold the product and the consumer. It is up to the retailer to work out the rest with the manufacturer if they can recover their costs.

Dave
FollowupID: 575735

Sponsored Links