Simpson comments

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 09:38
ThreadID: 5865 Views:1601 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
great time in the Simpson Desert. Sand flags should be attached to at least each lead car. They should be high. Attached to roof racks, not aerials as we saw. They give a much needed warning of approaching vehicles on the other side of the sand dunes.
Great conditions after the rain. Track is firm, but drying out fast.
Big Red will become boggy on the western side. The existing lake is already a challenge to cross.
Thanks Ruth for your hospitality while we were in Birdsville. Your comments on your earlier post were spot on. It is a shame to see litter in the desert, and what motorbikes with nobby tyres are doing by leaving the tracks, to little knolls and grass tufts. They can't help themselves, that's what bikers do.

We hope to see you again sometime Ruth. The desert is still calling.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 09:52

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 09:52
Roof racks are not the best place to put flags Oskar. They should be as close as possible to the front of the vehicle. Do a side view pencil sketch of a vehicle cresting a dune and you'll see the importance of front mounting. It's a pity that poor advice sometimes gets passed on!!
AnswerID: 24450

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 20:14

Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 20:14
I didn't actually compose the post but your point is well made. Thanks for the advice.
FollowupID: 16558

Reply By: petprass - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 13:25

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 13:25
I attached the flag pole to my roof rack after it broke away from the bullbar and I nearly had a head on at the crest of a dune. The other 4WD (who didn't have a flag at all!!) said that he couldn't see it. Just my bull bar as it came over the crest.

Why do you say that they should be attached to the roofrack?

Peter
AnswerID: 24469

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 20:09

Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 20:09
Yeah, good point, you are probably right I was wondering about that but the point was that too many vehicles don't have anything.
I'll put my flag on the bull bar next time.
FollowupID: 16557

Reply By: Nooka - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 21:32

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 21:32
Dude i agree with the others its not a good idea to put a flag on the roof rack. If you dont have a bug aerial then i suggest getting one thats big enough for when ever you go away so you dont have to risk a front on collision.

Thanks Mate
Nooka (who didn't go away with the group this year across the Anne Beadell)
AnswerID: 24509

Sponsored Links