Coromal Camper Trailer PS451 - Bike Rack

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 18:00
ThreadID: 58652 Views:4369 Replies:1 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
A quick question to ask, and I hope I am not boring everyone if this has been asked before.

Has anyone come up with any options for a bike rack on a Coromal Pioneer Camper Trailer. Apparently they don't recommend attaching a bike rake to the spare wheel.

I have the old style bike rack that attaches to the tow bar hitch but when I put the kids bikes on this it limits my turning capacity as the bikes hit the front of the van if the turn is too tight.

Just assessing to see if anyone has had this situation and any bright ideas.

Thanks

Ash
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Matt H (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 20:22

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 20:22
Hi Ash,
How about underslinging the spare on the A-frame at the front of the trailerand replacing the rear(?) spare wheel carrier with the bike rack? Might require some modification but removing 20kg odd of spare wheel might allow you to chuck a couple bikes in it's place. The weights would be similiar and wouldn't overstress the suppoting structure. **Normal disclaimer - I'm not a structural engineer, but nothing I've built has ever broken!**

Cheers, Matt
AnswerID: 309339

Follow Up By: WA 1968 - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 15:01

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 15:01
Thanks Matt. I had thought of moving the spare wheel and doing that. Mate has a GoldStream Camper Trailer and had one of his workers mkae a bracket up. I'm still waiting for him to complain that his spare wheel and bikes have fallen off!!
FollowupID: 575476

Follow Up By: Steve - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 15:33

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 15:33
Ash, I have a PS421 and I know a few others who also have em. They are a bit heavy on the tow-ball and if anything could do with a bit more ballast on the rear - as long as it's sturdy enough. The rear bar has 3 x arms supporting the bar, which is pretty good as many only have two - but if you can find a rack that could be welded/bolted to the back securely I think you'd be ok. It might be an idea to re-enforce the existing weld of the three arms and bar though or at least get it checked for strength. There's very little scope on the draw bar as it's pretty short. I wouldn't expect Coromal or a dealer to endorse anything that might alter the status quo so I wouldn't necessarily take their word as gospel unless you're still in warranty period. As long as you're careful regarding the security of welds I don't see a problem.
FollowupID: 575479

Follow Up By: Member - Matt H (SA) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 21:35

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 21:35
Ash,
What Steve said is correct. If the PS421 is that structurally weak at the back end that it cannot accept a bike rack - many people will be in trouble!
I'm entertaining the idea of a pop-top camper or the alike, but I'd expect I could add a few "extras" without compromising structural integrity.
Otherwise, it'll be out with the welder to fix the problem "Matt's" way!

Cheers, Matt
FollowupID: 575557

Follow Up By: WA 1968 - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 23:16

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 23:16
Having spent most school holidays working in a foundry, to me it looks sturdy enough. I have seen bike racks from Rhino that slip over the top of the spare wheel, but was "nervous" as I was in the warranty period. Now I am out, I may even look at one of those.

Wish you were closer Matt as I am as good with the welder as what my wife is with the lawnmower.

Steve, I visited the local Coromal dealer here in Bunbury and they were as useless as tits on a bull.....hence a lot of the Coromals' in our area are purchased out of the PErth dealer. We even got the treatment you guys don't look like you can afford one of our vans treatment down here. Second time we went back it was....well we want to buy a 451, can you get one down here....nah mate will cost too much on our floor plan to get one down and you may not buy it. We ended up getting outstanding service from the metro dealer.

Thansk again guys for your feedback.

FollowupID: 575572

Follow Up By: Steve - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 09:16

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 09:16
hope you let em know that they missed a sale???

The attitude of some of these people never ceases to astound.

Our local dealer had a similar "couldn't care less" attitude so we dealt with the Lismore dealer instead and met him halfway (Kempsey) to do the business and traded over. We had a couple of warranty issues which gave us the opportunity of taking it into our local dealership to fix. They were very interested as to where we'd acquired the new camper.

I tried not to gloat too much ;-))
FollowupID: 575600

Sponsored Links