how many nights at Uluru?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 18:19
ThreadID: 58654 Views:7816 Replies:13 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
just planning our first family trek, the big drive to Uluru. Wondering how many days/nights we need at Uluru? I've planned on 2 nights/3 days but wondering if 3 nights/4 days is better or too long?
and while we're on the topic, what about Coober Pedy? is one night sufficient?
We can't really just decide to stay longer, we aren't bringing a trailer with all the trimmings, plan on using cabins/motels a lot, and have a simple tent for other times. This is not a camping trip and as such I have to pre-book a lot of our accommodation.
any thoughts would be great.
cheers,
Gillian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael A (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 18:26

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 18:26
I would go the 3 nights and spend a day each at the rock and the Olgas.

On the accommodation front we have previously not booked anything (because we were rained out from camping) and found great last minute deals at the Lost Camel when we arrived. Obviously risky as they could be full.

Michael A
AnswerID: 309291

Reply By: RalfR - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 18:29

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 18:29
Having done the same trip last October, I would definitely spend as much time at Uluru as possible. One day for the rock, one day for the Olgas, and many other things to do and see on other days.

Coober Pedy is interesting for a day.

Just my two bobs worth.

Cheers
AnswerID: 309292

Reply By: On Patrol - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 18:51

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 18:51
Gillian
As all of the above have said, minimum 3 nights, 4 could be better.

Try to respect the local culture and not climb the Rock, visit the cultural centre first, but you just have to walk the 9-10km around the base, its amazing just how much you will see there, true some areas are closed to the general population but there is still 80% that is availabe for all to see.

While at Kata Tjuta (the Olgas) a walk through the Valley of the Winds will highlight the area that I enjoyed more than Ularu, but dont get me wrong, both are fantastic. Sunset viewing of Ularu is a must as is sunrise at both sites. If funds permit a ballon flight over the Rock is good fun but very expensive.

A beer in the garden at Curtin Springs can be fun if you mix with the locals.

Enjoy it. and dont make your visit too short
AnswerID: 309296

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 19:08

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 19:08
A speccy region, with quality experiences despite the half million tourists a year (or it was that number when fuel prices were reasonable :-o). A day at the rock is easy to absorb - apart from the climb that you may be into, consider the 9km walk round the base too - lots of wonderful rock formations to see. The Olgas blew us away - higher than the rock and more interesting IMO - easy to spend a day out there. There is a beaut interpretive centre for tourists near the Yulara admin offices - worth seeking out IMO - its not by the central shopping complex - a 5 minute walk away. Fuel prices are up a bit of course, but foods in the only smart are reasonable - liquor prices are outrageous up there - if you like a drop, take every drop ! Re accommodation prices - not sure what you might be expecting - sit down when phoning :-o).
AnswerID: 309303

Reply By: GREENDOG - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 19:23

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 19:23
Like the other's have said,3 nights stay and enjoy the area,climb the rock it will be a high light of your trip.cheer's GREENDOG
AnswerID: 309311

Reply By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 19:31

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 19:31
>This is not a camping trip and as such I have to pre-book
>a lot of our accommodation.

Why do you have to do that?

I have travelled the world (with young children) without pre-booking, and therefore confining oneself to a constricted agenda, without issues. In the very, very worst eventuality you spend the night in the car - worse things have befallen man :)

Take a risk... live a little... you'll all come through it unscathed and the richer for it :)

Mike Harding

PS. One night CP and one night at The Rock.
AnswerID: 309314

Follow Up By: gvn - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 20:24

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 20:24
hmm, I have 3 kids. 5 of us sleeping in the Patrol with the fridge and other pharaphenalia is not what I had in mind for this "holiday".

I'm not 20 anymore, where I turn up in Seoul with a back pack and no plans - I have small children to think about, who can't just "be quiet" for another hour while mummy and daddy seek out food and accommodation. Frankly, turning up in Seoul and looking for accommodation in the rain didn't make me feel better, made me feel like a dill for being unprepared. Driving through Italy and taking the time to stop and explore, because we knew we had a hotel waiting for us at the end of the day, no matter how late we arrived, THAT was worth doing. I guess that's what I'm imagining this trip to be like (once you turn the world upside down and then add kids:), and I don't want to waste hours at the end of each day looking for hotels.
cheers.

FollowupID: 575317

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 19:38

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 19:38
Just relax; it will all work out :)
FollowupID: 575519

Reply By: HGMonaro - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 20:17

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 20:17
when you say "one night here (or wherever)" you need to take into account when you are going to get there and what are your plans for the next day. For example, getting into Coober Pedy at midday would give you time to have a look around, do a mine tour & sunset at the Breakaways. Turn up at 4-5pm and all you're going to see is the C.P.

If you want to do the Uluru climb, go at the 1st chance you get as it might be shut the next day.

Cheers, Nige
AnswerID: 309334

Follow Up By: gvn - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 20:30

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 20:30
I don't want to climb the rock, never have, even before the hoohah. Plus, we have 3 small children. By "we" of course I mean "me" :) if hubby wants to climb it (and he does) then it wouldn't occur to him that the kids can't do it until, um, probably the morning of the climb. Even the 9km walk around is probably not going to happen sadly, but there's other things to do.

yes, of course i'm aware of arrival times. we are coming from Alice to Yulara to will maybe have an afternoon on the first day. I'm thinking about doing the run to CP in one day (kids wake you up nice and early, mose as well just get going), and maybe having 2 days there.
FollowupID: 575322

Follow Up By: HGMonaro - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 20:47

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 20:47
is hubby going to get to read that! :)

Ther are spots you can park your car and see things without doing the circumnavigation by foot.

BTW, my 5 1/2 y.o. did the climb.

Nige.
FollowupID: 575332

Follow Up By: gvn - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 21:58

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 21:58
I've already pointed out to him that if wants to climb I can't as someone has to look after the kids [cut to me looking around for the back-up mother!] I would only want to climb for the physical challenge, see if all my hard work at the gym can translate to real outdoorsy fitness!
FollowupID: 575366

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 09:41

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 09:41
I climbed it, but her ladyship declined - as for kids - very wise to keep them on the ground IMV - depite the "relatively safe" record there, and the presence of a fence to hang on to, one slip while attention is lacking can be all that is required for real drama. Should have said too, re the 9km walk - you can of course drive right round and hop out as mentioned above - we walked it at 37C, quite late in the day - phew - but that was an unseasonal heat wave.
FollowupID: 575429

Follow Up By: gvn - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:16

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:16
thanks for that, so true. as i often say, sometimes you get "zero chances" with kids. there's no second chance up on Uluru, so I won't risk it. 2 adults + 3 kids means there's always one on the loose! lol
FollowupID: 575444

Reply By: Dave B (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 20:18

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 20:18
If they still have the Starlight Tour at night with one of the rangers at the rock, that is really interesting.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 309335

Reply By: RalfR - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 21:42

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 21:42
Also, make sure you set aside time to visit Kings Canyon. Apart from the stunning scenery, our kids aged 11 & 10 had the best night of thier holiday at the hotel. There is entertainement in the beer garden which the kids and adults really enjoyed. I think the husband & wife entertainers go there every tourist season to play at the pub.

AnswerID: 309369

Reply By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 08:22

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 08:22
Sorry you can't climb to the top. It is really fascinating to spend some time up there. My mum couldn't climb when we were there so she took a flight around the rock and the Olgas and said that was well worth the money, something else for you to consider. AFAIK is is not a cultural thing not to climb. The locals are just sad to see so many people injure themselves or die trying and try to discourage it. There are several memorial plaques near the start of the climb.
Mike.
AnswerID: 309418

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 09:15

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 09:15
Gillian,

This isn't about Uluru really but I'd add my recommendation of including Kings Canyon into your plans.

Since we're heading off in a couple of months to the NT and even though we're camping, I was curious about Jervois since I'd never seen anywhere whether it had non camping accomm. So, I phoned them and they do. They have three atco huts with two beds in each, no bedding you have to supply that. They are $33 per hut (includes use of the shower etc) and she said that they are often booked well ahead. So, maybe you've already found that out, but just in case, hope it helps.

Viv
AnswerID: 309427

Follow Up By: gvn - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:12

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:12
oh thanks for that! I'll phone today and see.
cheers.
FollowupID: 575442

Follow Up By: gvn - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 19:23

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 19:23
yes, they ARE booked up already! that's about 3 weeks ahead. we can camp there though, so at least we'll have a target on the Plenty.
FollowupID: 575514

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:45

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:45
Gday,
By the sounds, you dont plan on doing too much walking/climbing etc....
If thats the case I reckon you will do everyting you want to in 3 days easily.

If climbing a Rock with your nose wedged up some smelly tourists clacker is your idea of fun you might enjoy the climb....otherwise take a photo.
Same as the Olgas....."Enjoy the tranquillity of Valley of the winds".....yeh right!..... 3000 loud obnoctious German-Asian- American, tourists, yelling over the top of each other and pushing there way past so they could scare the crap out of a poor Wallaby.

Last time the Mrs. and kids took some relatives down there they had some brainless ranger run through 100m of folidge causing mass destruction to tell the kids there feet were on the wrong side of the fence.

Did I mention expensive?????

But apart from that I reckon its a great place.....

A lot of people love there time down there and you might be one of them. But if time is an issue I'd spend more time at Kings Canyon and less at the rock.

Cheers
Hairy
AnswerID: 309451

Follow Up By: gvn - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:59

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:59
LMAO, would you like to do a "real travel" TV show with me? instead of chirping on about how great the hovel behind us is we could tell it how it really is..... that is one of my dreams. But don't worry, I'm not afraid of telling Americans to shut up (or to turn the volume down!), have done so a few times.
I'm just watching wotif and will see what hotel deal crops up. I think we'd probably like the 3 full day break anyway.
thanks for your honesty and for the laughs!! :)
FollowupID: 575464

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 16:14

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 16:14
Smelly tourist clacker??
comin down I had a barely 20 blond German young lady who tried edging down by sliding and ende u with her pants 1/2 down with just the g string protecting her modesty. She didnt seem in any hurry to corret the situation.
Nothing wrng with some smelly tourists clackers
FollowupID: 575487

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 08:42

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 08:42
Gday Davoe,
Yeah mate...like I said....some people love their visit to Rock.

Your one of the lucky buggers I suppose!

Cheers
FollowupID: 575595

Reply By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 16:01

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 16:01
gvn,

We took our 3 kids to Uluru (4 nights), Kings Canyon (4 nights) and Coober Pedy ( 2 nights). Uluru and the Olgas was fantastic.
My wife and 2 youngest kids climbed to chicken rock and my eldest daughter and i climbed the top and it was well worth the hike. Kings canyon was magnificent, the ridge top (rim) walk is a must as there are heaps of great walking trails thru the dry creek beds etc.

Coober Pedy, we stayed there 2 nights and a must is,if its still open is Tom's Working Mine, the kids will love it, the oasis pub which is underground as well as the church and also some houses are also open to the public. One bloke showed us thru his house and when he started it was a one bedroom joint and 10 years later it is now a 5 bedroom place. The stories are fantastic how he decided one day put on an extension and just chipped away at a wall and there was his extension.

Take your time and enjoy, there is so much to see out there.

cheers,

Lance
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 309498

Sponsored Links