Snow Camp

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 20:13
ThreadID: 58662 Views:2376 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am wanting to camp-out in the snow in my 4WD Camper to do some low-key photography.

I Prefer a recreation or forestry area....

Where is the cheapest place in nsw to go to...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Leroy - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 20:41

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 20:41
no where atm as there is no snow!

Leroy
AnswerID: 309348

Follow Up By: robertbruce - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 22:46

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 22:46
..lol...yerr, ino
FollowupID: 575387

Reply By: madfisher - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 20:50

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 20:50
When it snows you can camp att what is normally the top of Ecubene dam in the national park. May have to go for a drive higher up to see much snow or you can also camp at 3 mile dam at an atitude of appox 1500m. brrrrrrr the lake freezes over so it will be very cold.
Their is also Mt canoblas but not sure of camping their.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 309353

Follow Up By: robertbruce - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 22:49

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2008 at 22:49
thanks for that steve - i guess it is a matter of getting high .. darn about orange tho - i passed there a week ago...

the bloomin parks guide says you can camp just about anywhere, really helpfull for people...
FollowupID: 575388

Reply By: Splits - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 00:01

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 00:01
One good place that immediately comes to mind is at the point where the Snowy Mountains Highway crosses the Eucumbene River in the valley below Kiandra. You will be able to park right in the snow there. Every time I have driven through there, there has always been two or three camper vans or tents along a couple of hundred metres section of the river.

The Three Mile dam between Kiandra and Cabramurra is magnificent but there is a gate leading into the camping area and it is usually closed during winter.

There are many clear areas, including an historic hut, off the side of the road between the start of the snow after you pass the top of Talbingo Mountain and the end of it a few ks before Adaminaby. You should be able to stop in many of them, paticularly if you are in a camper on a vehicle and not in a tent.

There may be other areas off the road up through Jindabine to the major ski resorts but I am not sure.

I don't know if there are any caravan parks in the permanent snow areas but the tourist info centres would be able to tell you.

Another good camping area that is below the permanent snow line but still very close to it is along the sides of the Tumut River between Tumbarumba and Cabramurra. You can see the area on the satelite pictures on Google Earth. Follow the Elliott Way until it comes to the upper reaches of the Talbingo Reservoir. There is an excellent camping area at that point and plenty more for a few ks along the side of the river. The road climbs very steeply after it leaves the river up past the entrance to the underground Tumut 2 power station and reaches the snow line a few ks before the short turn off to Cabramurra.

Don't forget you must carry snow chains in the Koscuiszko National Park, even if the radio snow reports say it is a clear day and all roads are open.

Brian
AnswerID: 309402

Follow Up By: robertbruce - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 00:17

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 00:17
HUGE thanks for your post Brian...

i noticed the geography on to the west, only a few k's from the river it's all happenning....
FollowupID: 575401

Reply By: robertbruce - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 00:20

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 00:20
does anyone know all the roads that require the vehicle pass?? or is it just the main one near the resorts...

also - is the vehicle pass the "entry-fee" into the resort areas....

i wont be vising the onsnow resort areas... cant ski anymore but i can roll around in it....lol...
AnswerID: 309403

Follow Up By: Splits - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 09:19

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 09:19
I can only remember seeing two Nat. Parks checkpoints. One is a couple of ks from Kiandra on the road to Cabramurra. The turn off to the Mount Selwyn ski resort is off that road.

I have lived at Tumbarumba and I have not seen anything on the Elliott Way right up to the Three Mile dam and Cabramurra so if you stay in that you are not likely be asked to pay park fees, that is unless things have changed in the last two years since I was last there.

The other is on the road up to Jindabyne to the big ski resorts.

There may be one on the Alpine Way through Khancoban but I doubt it because that road is closed during winter so there is no access to the ski resorts.

There is nothing on the Snowy Mountains Highway as it is a major through road however if rangers see you camping beside it, you may be asked to pay.

The only way to be sure is to ring Nat. Parks.

Brian

FollowupID: 575425

Reply By: robertbruce - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:32

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:32
heya Brain,

tas for that - no use paying the fees if i dont need to go into that area.....
AnswerID: 309448

Sponsored Links