Great Central Road Feedback

I travelled the Great Central Highway in the middle of May 2008. Had a wonderful trip with the one overnight disappointment being Warburton Roadhouse. I need a powered site for my Cpap machine and unfortunately the tent site was a white carpet of very prickly "Bindi-eye" weed. I put 2 blankets on the tent floor under the Air Bed to make sure no prickles punctured it. I think that if you are going to charge $25 for a tent site you could ensure that it was not a bed of prickles.
Rick Polley
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jason & Jodie - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 16:05

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 16:05
Hey Rick,

Can relate to the prickles. Had a similar experience in Birdsville (not in the CP). The surrounding area looked like green paddocks but on closer inspection it was long prickly green stuff lol. Got it beat this year though, bought a Camper Trailer :-).

Cheers
Jason
AnswerID: 309500

Reply By: Holden4th - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 18:39

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 18:39
When I stayed there (same time of year in 07) I decided on the donga as I was rather hesitant about leaving stuff out and about on a powered site.
AnswerID: 309534

Reply By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 20:04

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 20:04
Rick, I have never been that way and am contemplating a crossing via that road in the future. What are the opportunities to bush camp and only stop for fuel/supplies at the roadhouses/communities, and having just been there, which would you recommend.
Fred.
AnswerID: 309553

Follow Up By: Rick Polley - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 09:58

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 09:58
Gidday Fred,
For your info on this trip I drove my daughters Rav4 from Bunbury W.A. to Hervey Bay Qld. via the Great Cental Road and Plenty Hwy. I purchased a large heavy duty battery in Alice Springs so I could run my Cpap machine on 12V. From then on I bush camped and loved it. No more expensive camping fees. If you are interested Curtain Springs near Ayers Rock has free camping if you dont need power and you pay $2.50 each for a shower.
Bush camping is the way I would do it next time with the exception of Laverton caravan park. The lady there is very friendly and so helpful. She gave me 5 foolscap pages of roadhouse information on the Great Central Hwy which tells you fuel availability, fuel type, hours open, distances between ect etc. Also her camp kitchen is fantastic. So nice to find friendly people who go out of their way to be helpful. As far as bush camping goes I would look at the 200 kms between Pikul and Hunt Oil Road which by my maps is not Aboriginal land. Also there is a very nice bush camping area about 4 kms West of Docker River which to me is a must. It even has water, toilets, cold shower and fire places.
Hope that helps you Fred.
Catch ya,
Rick.
FollowupID: 575609

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 17:54

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 17:54
Many thanks for your reply Rick. That's just the sort of info I was looking for.
Cheers mate.

Fred.
FollowupID: 575667

Reply By: Member - Kemsley C (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 19:27

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 19:27
Recently travelled the Great Central Hwy. If you are planning to travel this road DO NOT overnight at Warburton or anywhere near this place. The petrol sniffers will break into your car, tent, caravan and steal everything. Even if you are in it! They even broke open my fuel door looking for petrol despite the diesel sign. This is happening every night and the police are at the moment run ragged. Stay away.
AnswerID: 310586

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Monday, Jun 30, 2008 at 23:58

Monday, Jun 30, 2008 at 23:58
what a load of crap
FollowupID: 579196

Follow Up By: Member - Kemsley C (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2008 at 09:52

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2008 at 09:52
Richard

On what do you base your well thought out and informative response? You were there? You have read the filed police reports? You have access to the insurance claims?
FollowupID: 580358

Follow Up By: ross - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2008 at 10:51

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2008 at 10:51
It might have had an element of truth a few years back but things seemed to have settled down out there since.

However I prefer camping along the road. I found a nice road building quarry half full of water and plenty of firewood last time
FollowupID: 580365

Follow Up By: Member - Kemsley C (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2008 at 15:57

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2008 at 15:57
Ross,

Unfortunately the issues we and others in our group had were only last month. The general indications are that the troubles have come back again. I am sure that they will be short lived and are only the doings of a couple of rogues. This sort of problem is not confined to just this place and is probably cyclical.

We will be staying away for the next few months.

As you suggest there are other alternatives.
FollowupID: 580412

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2008 at 21:48

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2008 at 21:48
Been there thats all

I see you have had a think about it

Cheers

Richard
FollowupID: 580488

Reply By: Natalie & Steve - Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 15:14

Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 15:14
Hi... We are looking at travelling the Great Central Highway from Laverton to Alice in April 2009. We have a X-Trail and Off Road Camper Trailer. Any suggestions? What is the road like? We are not experienced 4WDrivers! How many days do we need to allow & where should we stay? Will we make it?
AnswerID: 311222

Follow Up By: Member - George C (WA) - Saturday, Jun 28, 2008 at 13:11

Saturday, Jun 28, 2008 at 13:11
Hi Natalie & Steve,
Your X-Trail should not have any problems crossing the Great Central Highway, but as you will be towing an Off Road Trailer you would need to take it a bit slower than say a true 4x4. The road is quite good to Warakurna Road House, which is near the Giles Meteorological Station. Once you leave WA and get into the NT the road is not so good and can be just a sandy track in places, that would be my only concern with towing an Off Road Camper trailer with an X-Trail They do have tours of the Meteorological Station, you need to book at the road house, it is a free tour but the idea of booking is to give the Meteorological Station staff the numbers of people that will be attending the tour, it is well worth going and seeing how it operates and also the launching of a weather balloon.
You will need two permits to travel through Aboriginal land, one from Western Australia, which you can get off the internet and another permit from the Central Lands Council in Alice Springs, which you have to fill the form out and send it in, it only takes about a week to get it back, but check on the internet you may be able to get one there. as this will be your first time on the Great Central Road I would suggest that you stay at the Tjukayiria Road House I know it is only 311klm from Laverton, but it gives you time to just take it slowly and enjoy your time on the road and will not overheat your drive train on your X-Trail. The next stop I would suggest be Warakurna Road House, which is about 479 Klm from Tjukayiria Road House that way you can by-pass Warburton and still have a good relaxed drive, make sure you find out if there will be any rain, if there is going to be heavy rain I would give it a miss, dry conditions should see you get through ok
The next stop I would suggest is Curtin Springs about 472 Klm from Warakurna Road House. I hope this helps you.
Cheers George
FollowupID: 578674

Reply By: Natalie & Steve - Sunday, Jun 29, 2008 at 20:15

Sunday, Jun 29, 2008 at 20:15
Thanks George for your helpful advice. We are a bit nervous about tackling a road like this with our limited experience, but I guess we will give it a go!
AnswerID: 312944

Follow Up By: Member - Jon W (WA) - Monday, Jun 30, 2008 at 19:16

Monday, Jun 30, 2008 at 19:16
Hi Nat and Steve

we are going to be doing the GSR in september of this year.This will be our first time on the dirt to so we will give you the heads up when we return about safe places to stay,we will be trveling with two children under 5 so we are looking for safe campsites to.
FollowupID: 579110

Follow Up By: Natalie & Steve - Monday, Jun 30, 2008 at 19:33

Monday, Jun 30, 2008 at 19:33
Hi Jon

Thanks, that would be great. We will also be travelling with two kids 8 & 10yrs and are a bit concerned but wanting to give it a go!
Are you towing & what type of car?
FollowupID: 579116

Follow Up By: Member - Jon W (WA) - Monday, Jun 30, 2008 at 23:44

Monday, Jun 30, 2008 at 23:44
Hi there

we also will be towing a camper trailer.It is a full off road camper and the car is a nissan navara 4x4.We have friends that have a xtrail and it goes great on the beach so i wouldnt think you would have any dramas.
FollowupID: 579193

Follow Up By: ross - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2008 at 10:54

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2008 at 10:54
The only thing you shouldnt do is travel at night. Too many camels,goats and bad drivers on the road.
FollowupID: 580367

Sponsored Links