GQ cracked guard repairs

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 10:08
ThreadID: 5868 Views:2265 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

The guard under the battery of my GQ patrol has cracked again due to rough roads. Any ideas on how to strengthen or brace the area to stop it happening again. Thought there might be a fix out there somewhere.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 11:53

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 11:53
Weld in some thicker plate is about it.. Share/Spread the load

Again, its not uncommon for GQ/GU's to do this, there has to be a better design for battery trays!!!
AnswerID: 24458

Reply By: crowe - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 12:11

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 12:11
Ray,

I made my rack, bit different design to bought ones, it has four mounting points. The strongest and best mount is below the holder running vertical down the inside of the gauard and bolted through, this romoves alot of the load off the horizontal surface and spreads the weight better down the vertical axis, if you need more info let me know

crowe
AnswerID: 24465

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 12:24

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 12:24
Ray,

I'd agree with the others, to some extent. From my experience with cracking panels, limited though it is, you need some 2 or 3mm plate, and cut pieces to weld over the current mounting points. If you have the luxury of a mig, "stitch" these plates to the guard, with the mig, and redrill. By making the mounting area bigger, it helps to reduce the flex in the guard, which could help to reduce any further cracking.

As a tojo owner, I could be a smart ice, and say it hasn't happened to the last 2 80 series, but I won't.... Good luck with the repairs, and a long term solution. Hooroo...

AnswerID: 24466

Reply By: relaxed QLD - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 22:48

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 22:48
Ray
There was discussion on this topic a while ago where I read Patrol owners were have trouble with the cracking. So I built my own and used six anchor points on the guard. 3 of the points were in areas that had threaded nuts attached on the flat, one strut on the bottom of the inner guard and the other 2 points where brackets to where the coolant container is attached to on the side (this is on a GU by the way). Anyway, can't tell if this is successful yet, only made it about 3 months ago and haven't been on any long distance rough roads yet. Looks sturdy though.
Relaxed
AnswerID: 24516

Reply By: Mick - Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 08:37

Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 08:37
Mick christie
My whole inner guards started seperating from the cab, i welded 20x20 rhs on the outside of the inner guard, close to the cab in a right angle with a gusset between them.
My battery a few years later fell through the inner guard. heaps of welding needed used some angle running it from the base of the batt tray to the front headlight surround and patched the rest up with plate.
My chasis then cracked in 3 spots, i welded them up and a week later someone offered me a good price!
AnswerID: 24582

Sponsored Links