High lift mout off wheel of patrol

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 10:12
ThreadID: 5869 Views:1848 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I have a GQ patrol and have considered for years the practice of hanging a high lift jack and other bits and pieces off the spare wheel mounted to the door. I've often considered this but thought it may cause long term problems with crackes or sagging hinges. Anybody out there have any experience good or bad with using this storage method over the medium or long term on Patrol's.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John Boy - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 11:04

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 11:04
Hi Ray, I have some experience with this problem. On my 1989 Maverick the weight of a 35inch BFG tyre and a high lift was too much to handle. It cracked the door after a year or so of use. The cracks appeared on the inside just below the window. I got a swing-away style rear bar and wheel mount from a mob called SMI who have since closed down. A year later the swing-away wheel carrier cracked — so it was round to my mates place with a trusty old case of beer and he welded it back together with some heavy duty gusseting.
In short, extra weight can damage the door and I would be cautious about placing the hi-lift on there, especially if you also have a heavier than stock tyre and rim combination.
AnswerID: 24452

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 11:52

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 11:52
GQs have shiatty rear door hinges to start with. Several have gone, mine both, and mate with shorty and lwb have both gone only having 33's on. Lots of others carry 35/36s on theirs no problems, so could just be bad luck, but yea its 'not uncommon' for them to go according to local Nissan Spares bloke George.

Personally I dont like the idea of lots of weight on the rear door, but as you say theres not much choice.. I also dont like High mounts, used them a few times, and car has fallen off them at the wrong time :( could have been VERY VERY serious.

You can get those Roofrack mounts, that hold a shovel and High mount, i think Roly has one forsale in the Trader section.. Mounts to 2 Rola Roofrack type things..
AnswerID: 24457

Reply By: Peter H - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 14:27

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 14:27
I had concerns about weight on the rear door of my troopie and was able to get high lift jack brackets to go on Rhino roof racks at a fraction of the price. The door moved anyway on trip to Cape last month
AnswerID: 24472

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 00:09

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 00:09
isnt there a weight sticker on the dppor somewhere ?
i wonder if this takes into account bouncing around .
my 2c1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
AnswerID: 24529

Sponsored Links