GST rebate after one month in a caravan park

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 19:14
ThreadID: 58693 Views:6061 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Remember you are entitled by Federal Tax law to a full GST rebate after you have stayed at a park for one month. It is not retrospective, but applies to any duration you continue your stay at that park. I have had a certain park tell me a rebate was not THEIR policy...and they even handed out computerised reciepts which showed a GST at zero percent, while in fact it was inclded in the amount receipted. When I had to firmly request a rebate..I was told.."it was a bit political" and could I come back later and see the manager. I eventually got my account reconciled and received almost a $100 rebat
Cheers. Gerard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Porl - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 20:02

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 20:02

If they maintained their claim that GST was zero you could probably report them for fraud. ATO doesn't like people collecting gst and not reporting it and therefore keeping it, big mean penalties.
AnswerID: 309552

Follow Up By: a convict - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 20:13

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 20:13
..fascinating snippet. Never knew.

Invoice should have the words 'tax invoice' on it. (perhaps I'm wrong(?))

FollowupID: 575529

Reply By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 20:11

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 20:11

You obviously have some knowlwdge of this legislation and was wondering if you could point those of us who do not in the right direction.

If I was going to lob into a park office and ask for this rebate, I would love to have some documentation to back up my request.

I wonder how many caravan park owners/operators would be aware of this.


AnswerID: 309557

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 20:15

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 20:15
Cruiser, ya beat me by thaaat much with that very Question. Further info on the legislation would be great Joondalupgerry.
Thanks for the tip on that park :-)
FollowupID: 575531

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 20:14

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 20:14
I have never heard of such a rebate...wonder how well its known at all, let alone the managers!!

Will keep this in mind if I ever stay somewhere for a decent amount of time!
AnswerID: 309558

Reply By: Joondalupgerry - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 20:22

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 20:22
Crikey..I'm no expert, but I'll stand by the full facts of the GST rebate...for instance the Glengarry Big 4 in Port Douglas knew all about it and actioned it immediately the month was completed..(an excellent allround well run camp)..the Broadwater Tourist Park was difficult to deal with and even claimed that as I had shifted sites twice (at their request) that I had to fulfill another month each time to get the rebate.
As I see it it's GST after a month as your caravan etc becomes your home which attracts no GST.
Cheers Gerard
AnswerID: 309559

Reply By: jomah - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 20:39

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 20:39
Working Aus we invariably stay at one park for more than 1 month.I have found from experience that the vast majority of parks transfer us to a permenents(lower rates) after the first four weeks. The discounted rate is always more than 10% less so be careful what you ask for as 10% off the full rate could cost you more than the permanent rate.I have also found from experience that it is more often not what you ask for rather HOW you ask for it that achieves the best results.
AnswerID: 309565

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 20:56

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 20:56
Does this only apply if your van is your principle place of residence or does it apply to everyone?

An other thing is available to recipients of a Commonwealth pension that are living in their van and have no other residence is rent relief. If you live in a van or manufactured home you rent the land underneath it and you are considered to be a home renter even though you own your van or manufactured home. You are thus entitled to rent relief from Centre Link. For those in a van you use a receipt for at least 3 weeks at the time or rent review for the calculation - you do not have to produce a continuous record of your rent receipts (wink wink, nod nod.)

Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 309571

Reply By: Ozboc - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 21:17

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 21:17
Knowledge is your best weapon ...

Perfect example - Businesses that sell items and have a " store Policy"

Recent example for me -- I purchased a water cooler ( water dispenser) from Melbourne - was shipped to me(Sydney) - and when it arrived -- the cold water function was not working at all. Contacted the seller - they told me that i must return it to them ( at my expense ) and they will then take 1 - 2 weeks to look at it then decide if they will repair or replace - ( There shop policy) Or i can Pay an additional $40 and they will send me a new one ... ( to replace a machine that i have not even used once so i have to pay double for shipping ???? )

A quick look at the department of fair trading webpage revealed the Australian laws in regards to white goods and warranty / replacements obligations by vendors .....

Sent of a copy of this _ direct link to the seller --- within 2 days i had a brand new cooler at my door step .... - no extra charge -- even told i could keep the non working one ( Oh joy )

My moral of this story -- Educate yourself - don't just take "oh its our policy" as an answer - If needed - provide direct proof of laws relating to your query and contradictions of there story policy to Australian law - This will get you much further than to just argue ..


AnswerID: 309575

Reply By: Bushtrek - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 21:31

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 21:31
Guys and gals,
It ain't that simple unfortunately.
As with all things to do with Australia's Tax system, the bureaucrats in Canberra have spent as much time as possible working to stuff this one up and make it unnecessarily complex.

There are issues that allow the Caravan Park operator to choose how they charge GST for accommodation based on the definition of a short term stay (28days).

The operator may still be charge GST for long term stay but at a reduced rate (ie: 50% of the GST inclusive price of the long-term accommodation for the entire stay) OR treat the stay as input taxed like residential rent.

There are 2 separate treatments of the system leaving it open to Park Operators to choose which of the 2 they will operate their business on and therefore how they will approach the application of GST.
If they decide the long term stays are input taxed (under division 40) then they cannot claim input tax credits (read GST credits) and they cannot charge GST.
If they choose to use the reduced GST tax method (under Division 87) they can choose to charge full GST on the first 27 days then a reduced amount (50%) on the balance of the stay above 27 days if the business is not predominately provide long term stays OR a reduced GST on the whole period of the stay if the business provides more than 70% of its accommodation as long term.

As you can see it's as clear as mud, but essentially it depends on
1: what proportion of the total business accommodation is long term.
2: which of the GST treatment choices the operator chooses to adopt to run the business (they cannot change for 12 months once they make the selection)
AnswerID: 309582

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 21:33

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 21:33
There is a difference in GST application for short term and long term residents of caravan parks. The critical time is 28 days. If you stay up to 27 days you are a visiting tourist if you stay for longer than 28 days you are a "long term" resident.

Caravan park ruling

You can see by this ruling that different parks may use differnt applications.

AnswerID: 309585

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 08:43

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 08:43
going by the flow chart all one can get is 50% off the GST if you are in a "predominatley long term" rated park
FollowupID: 575596

Sponsored Links