On the Road - Not chickening out this time!!

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 21:27
ThreadID: 58700 Views:2522 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, I just wanted to say hi and that I'm really excited to be back on here. Last year we decided to rent the house out and go on the road with the ute and our 2 little kids, sleeping in a tent.

However, we chickened out - well my husband did anyway!

We decided it's time again, only this time we're selling up and going indefinately. The cost of keeping the house is too high and the stress of life is killling us here :S

Could anyone offer any words of wisdom to get me (re)started on the planning process - bearing in mind we want to keep it really simple.

Thanks so much :)

Mel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Graeme67 - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 21:54

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 21:54
I would suggest not planning too far ahead and just take it as it comes.

I spent 7 months on the road last year and started with a basic plan for the first month or so and had an idea of some the places I wanted to visit, but if you've got some flexibility you can stay longer at places or leave early.

I spent a couple of days at places I thought I might stay for a week and a week at places I had planned on a couple of days.

There's plenty of good guide books available that can help with ideas for various areas.

Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 309590

Reply By: donk - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 22:20

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 22:20
We have been full time on the road for the past 7 years working as we go

We normally try to spend approx 3 months in each location to have a good look around the area & top up the bank account

When we left we sold our house (a nice one we had renovated) & invested the money but after 2 years we decided to buy another house (a basic renter) & rent it out

In the 2 years without a house prices increased around 30% & we believe we should have sold & bought at the same time instead of investing the money

The renter we have now is being paid off by the tenents & it is increasing in value & if we decide to settle somewhere we will sell it & buy something we like

When we are in one place it costs us around $500 (2 of us) in park fees,food,fuel,etc & we find when we are not working we spend more money than when we are working

When we tow our van (23 footer) between places & travel 400 klms each day it costs us around $200 a day for fuel alone

We work approx 8-10 months each year & enjoy the lifestyle we have & so far we have covered the east coast only (we are in port lincoln at the moment)

We have been to the west on holidays but haven't worked there as yet

Good luck with your decision but do your sums first to see if you can afford it & consider if you might be better off keeping your house & putting renters in it

Regards Don
AnswerID: 309603

Follow Up By: donk - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 22:25

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 22:25
That should have read $500 per week

Also long term in a tent is nice when the sun is out but not much fun in the rain (been there)

Regards Don
FollowupID: 575564

Follow Up By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:33

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:33
Mel & Michael....Donk has given some very sound advice here....think very carefully BEFORE you sell your house...consider what Donk has said....one you are out of the housing market it is very hard to get back in...
FollowupID: 575623

Follow Up By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 19:00

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 19:00
HI Mel,
Thats goiod advice - at all costs try and keep the house, even if it means selling and buying a cheaper one. Once you are out of the market and prices keep going up it may be difficult to buy in again in the future. Rent it out through an agent who will basically take care of all issues with it and pay accounts on your behalf.
Personally I think it is a big risk to sell - even if you invest the proceeds. Think very seriously about that decision.
Hope all goes well,
Cheers,
Glen
FollowupID: 575678

Follow Up By: Mel & Michael - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 17:16

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 17:16
Hi guys, thanks for your feedback. Totally understand where you're coming from in terms of selling the house, it's just that it's come to the point where we have to sell as we cannont continue living with all the stress we are under. For us, selling is a choice that means choosing our health, our relationship and our kids over 4 walls.

Also in another 9 months or so, we could easily be those people who can't afford to pay the mortgage anymore. Either way, none of it is as important to me as what we will be gaining.

That said, we will have around $600/week to live on. is this do-able? How often can you spend a night or 2 for free? We only plan to go very slowly, partly because of fuel costs and partly because our youngest is only 18 months...
FollowupID: 575895

Follow Up By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 00:42

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 00:42
Mel & Michael....Can appreciate your decision but I needed to try to point out your options.....when you ask about bush camping ( free camping) there are a few books avaliable to purchase which show you locations and also provide other info as well...ie water, pets, etc etc.....but even staying at caravan parks you can often do toilet/shower cleaning, etc which can offset your rent....also long term stays ( more than 28 days I think, you can get a GST rebate...you need to investigate)
Weather and insects will be your greatest challenge..for that reason considering that you will be doing this a while I would be seriosly looking at a van with an annexe of some type...but you can do it with a little or with much...depends on your comfort level......try to put on paper what expectations are and try to think of all the situations you will have to face and build a list...ie water, drinking water, food/ meals, sleeping arrangemets, bath times, toilet needs ( portapotty), power needs, refridgeration, esky/ice maybe,gas, hot water, etc etc.....I wish you well
FollowupID: 576024

Follow Up By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 00:48

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 00:48
Guys..... stay in touch through this thread if you need any advice...I will get it through my email....otherwise I will try to watch out for you on this forum....
FollowupID: 576025

Reply By: SOS Mail Solutions - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 14:47

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 14:47
Hi Mel,

Good on you for giving it a go.

Part of your planning process would be to have someone take care of your mail. If you decide to sell your house, you will not have a fixed address.

Just a thought.

Have a wonderful and safe trip when you get going.

Regards

Craig B
AnswerID: 309693

Sponsored Links