Fuel cost

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 01:19
ThreadID: 58744 Views:1788 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I am currently in Philadelphia visiting my son and his family and the nightly news is full of the fact that drivers here are having to pay US$4.15 a gallon (3.78 litres). That is about US$ 1.20 a litre or about A$ 1.30. Diesel is about US$5.00 a gallon.
Is someone getting at us in Oz??
Can't wait to get home though. US is a good place to visit but gimme our beautiful country anyday. We were asked if we still use British Pounds as currency and the guy was amazed when I showed him our colourful notes.
The drivers here are much more considerate than in Sydney though and willingly wave you through in front of them at intersections. In that regard we have a lot to learn. In 4 weeks I have not seen 1 prang on any size but they must happen as there are panel repair shops around.
Take care of the place.
Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: robertbruce - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 01:49

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 01:49
Most people dont realise what other nations think of us Australians - we are all that wrapped up in our sporting prowess that we miss things like

Australia - from world culture & tribes; only been around for five minutes
Australians - from the EU: convicts, barstards and escaped bitsa's that dont know what real coffee or a real washing machine is
Australians - from the US; poor cousins that we protect
Australian - from the US; they like our trailer-park musos', eg pink, meatloaf

this stuff comes from foreign people who have been honest enough to tell me a generalised view ...an instant-coffee society, cheap

so the next time someone diss's you - just tell em' you would rather be home....

AnswerID: 309809

Follow Up By: jskogsta - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 07:05

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 07:05
"that dont know what real coffe" .. that is sooo not true! The coffee culture here is super strong, and the coffee's great!

.. but I must admit that i do agree on this: "real washing machine is" .. you should ask my better half what she thinks of that, and how it stacks against the Siemens one she used to have back home (=Norway). She'll probably stop short of 10 swear words. ;-)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 575773

Follow Up By: Rock Ape - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 07:26

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 07:26
How the hell do you get from diesel prices in the US to washing machines, coffee and Musco's.

What others think of us is their right and I have given the matter guite considerable thought, a total of two seconds came to the conclusion WHO CARES WHAT OTHERS THINK.

FollowupID: 575776

Follow Up By: Member - Jason & Jodie - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 09:39

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 09:39
Hi,
We have several Internet Businesses with partners in the US & even Israel & our US partners have said that they (American's) are only just now starting to realize that Australia is not as 'backward' as generally thought. So we are coming of age & the New Economy of Internet Business is creating a 'One World' mindset which is long overdue.

Cheers
Jason
FollowupID: 575792

Follow Up By: Rock Ape - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 10:36

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 10:36
Thanks Jason,
I have a daughter that married a yank, make and lives in the states. I have nothing against Yanks. Have worked with a few, same as always some good and some bad, sure they felt the same about me. Only thing I have found is they are very inward looking.

I believe they have even discovered our Hills hoist and are starting to use them instead of driers.

Have a good one.

FollowupID: 575812

Reply By: floody- Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 09:08

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 09:08
We have not long come back from a five week driving holiday over there. Can't agree more with you on the politeness of drivers. I think I realised the reason for that. Most mornings we would hear on the news, that some driver had been shot on a freeway. I personally think that drivers are too scared to show rudeness, in case they are shot. Have you struck any cross intersections that have four stop signs yet? One thing I did like was the ability to turn right at a red light, after stopping and checking to see that its safe to do so. Like you, we drove through four States, did six thousand kilometres and never saw a crash.
AnswerID: 309837

Follow Up By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 09:19

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 09:19
Hi floody, yes we have encountered 4 way stop signed crossings and they work well as the drivers are polite.
Turning right at a stop sign, or sometimes at a stop light, makes so much sense and I have thought that many times. Dangerous spots are signed saying "no right turn on red".
Driving on the right was easy to get used to once I stopped changing gears with the door handle!!
FollowupID: 575789

Follow Up By: floody- Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 09:34

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 09:34
Ian, we were supposed to get a mid sized hire car and were upgraded to a Murcury Grand Marquis, which is an upmarket version of a Crown Victoria. We tired a little of driving on Interstate freeways, so where possible, we stuck to other highways. The only problem with driving in backroads is the tendancy I had of automatically entering a highway on the left side from a side road. I found it far easier driving in cities like San Francisco, LA and the like where it was just a matter of follow the leader. We loved the US, we are going back over next year to do Washington, Oregon and Montana, before heading up to Canada and Alaska.
FollowupID: 575791

Reply By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 09:54

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 09:54
Ian , "Is someone getting at us in Oz??" Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 309848

Sponsored Links