Diesel Prices not just hurting the traveler

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 09:52
ThreadID: 58751 Views:2274 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, I know we have been talking a lot about the fuel prices hitting the pockets of us free spirited traveller but save a thought for the likes of the smaller seafood business owners who just can't afford to operate any more or the farmers who have to buy new technology to keep their operating costs down or the independent courier or the transport operators or the remote communities that rely on generator power...and the list goes on.

I, for one, am thinking of these struggling business operators & am wondering how far it needs to go before the Govnt will reduce their excise on fuel (35c in the dollar + the GST on every litre).

"The future is ours, we just need to take it"

Cheers
Jason

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 10:13

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 10:13
*who just can't afford to operate any more or the farmers who have to buy new technology to keep their operating costs down*

Hiya

Yeah that statement doesn't really sit right with me..They hav no money supposedly,Like i drive a VR Berlina 5 litre wagon,So i say to myself i should spend $35000 on new Holden to save money (that's good management) rather than use the $2000 Government rebate to add LPG to existing Vehicle...

Sure the farmers are doing it hard in DROUGHT AFFECTED AREAS..But the seafood business owners dont get all the perks/aid/Government Assistance that farmers do so i gather they'd hav something to whine about like everyone else.....

So the good times in fuel are over,We never know when we hav it good at the time...We are in the BEST COUNTRY in the world so lets stop whining about fuel and enjoy our existence ! lol

Cheers

AnswerID: 309856

Follow Up By: Member - Jason & Jodie - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 10:28

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 10:28
I agree with your last statement Warfer - people spend too much time on the negative side of life & don' realize how lucky we really are :-).
The other point I was making, i guess, was not to dwell on the 'poor bugger me' syndrome & realize that there are people out there really doing it tough.

Cheers & Stay Happy
Jason
FollowupID: 575805

Reply By: gmac - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:08

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:08
Warfer,

Can you please advise what these extra perks and aids that farmers get are? Okay ,Fuel rebate is one,but available to just about every business now days.What are the others?

Regards
AnswerID: 309885

Reply By: Member - Kevin J (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 13:19

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 13:19
Perks you say!

96kms from nearest town. Black soil road. 2 mail deliveries per week when road passable. Missed 11 of 14 during November/December due to floods. Packages delivered eg food and other materials $5 per package

Pastoral Lease - payable to Govt $86000 per annum. This gives them the right to operate on the area they purchased.

Rates - payable to Council. $11000 per annum. Have not seen a grader for three years.

Electricity - $12000 per annum on guarantee for a number of years regardless of useage.

Get to town on average once per month.

Interest on loans unknown but more than my house is worth.

Total income last year approx $140000 from sale of last of cattle sold because it was costing $4/5000 per month to buy feed.

Yes lots of perks. go to those people. What's a perk?

Kevin J

AnswerID: 309900

Reply By: robertbruce - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 18:33

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 18:33
Kevin J 0- i think what you have posted is imperative for us to hear..

it is important to tell it how it is rather than delude oneself with leases, dreams and other peoples money...
AnswerID: 309963

Sponsored Links