Consequences of higher fuel costs

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:06
ThreadID: 58755 Views:2038 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Mate of mine trucks new caravans West to East across the Nullabor and has noted that the number of new vans he carries has dropped as WA manufacturers can't keep up supply (labour shortage). But the number of vans he's carrying for people going on holidays has risen dramatically.

A number of people now are loading the vans onto trucks and driving back or going East than ever before. People reckon it's cheaper to truck the van than tow it.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:22

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:22
Doesn't make sense to me Dunc, considering they are still driving their vehicles back anyway.
How much to truck a caravan from Perth to Adelaide? Unless it is very cheap, the sums don't add up, unless their reasons are other than economics.
Fred.
AnswerID: 309870

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 16:35

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 16:35
Got to agree with you Fred didn't make sense to me. Possibly just a coincidence that the numbers are changing and fuel prices going up at the same time.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 575875

Reply By: Gazal Champion - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:36

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 11:36
At first glance this looks like a good idea but once the van is on the truck what do you do for accomodation crossing the Nullabour. I don't think it stacks up either. But then, Ive never been across the Nullabour, well not yet, but 2 years time will tell another story.
Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 309876

Reply By: gmac - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:01

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 12:01
Duncan,

In March this year we towed a van from Geraldton WA to NSW and return.Since then the fuel prices have risen abou 28_30 cents per litre.As a matter of interest and as we had kept records I caculated the addition cost of the trip as based on current prices.

It would have cost us an additional $380.00 for fuel.

Regards
AnswerID: 309884

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 16:36

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 16:36
As above the figures don't add up. Only reporting what was relayed to me. Cheapest way to see the country these days is to fly. But you miss out on all the fun getting there.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 575877

Follow Up By: Member - John & Sharon R (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 13:48

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 13:48
We are off on another trip next month and recieved an e-mail this morning on fuel prices 600km west of Alice the rallies most remote stop. They were embarresed to say its $2.00/lt. Thought it was good compared to the city. Move on to next job.
I was very interested in your sum of $380 and thought thats more bush camps and no more munchies purchased at the servo. We are heading off at the end of the year for about 12 months so will just have to cook all our own food and dont stay at those fancy caravan parks as much. I think travelling is like an addiction. Smokers still smoke drinkers still drink the cost of those addictions have risen more than fuel.
FollowupID: 576531

Reply By: Member - kevin Y (SA) - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 17:30

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 17:30
seems to be 2 way traffic on the trucks ---was out the west last week and the amount of trucks going past with both caravans and boats onto me seemed a hell of a lot
AnswerID: 310357

Sponsored Links