Trip calculator on this site and also Google maps

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 11:33
ThreadID: 58796 Views:3077 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning, could any one inform me how the travelling times are worked out when you enter into the directions calculator you "to and from" fields. (EO or Google)
For instance when entering directions for Byrock to Tibooburra it gives you 495 ks and 6hrs 15 mins.
How does it take into account road conditions eg. good tar to poor dirt etc. And how accurate have people found these times and distances.
Cheers,
William B
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John S (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 12:55

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 12:55
William,

Most trip calculators have an average speed for the different types of roads, ie Major, minor, secondary, dirt :)

A good example of how this works is with a GPS program like Copilot - you can change the average speeds for the different types of roads, and therefore this changes your overall estimated travel time.

But road conditions are hard to factor in, especially on outback roads due to weather and traffic flows.

The example you have given is calculated on an average speed of 80Km/h, which is what I would use for most black top and/or major dirt road trips. For more remote tracks/fire trails I usually work on 40-50Km/h which I find is usually a little conservative but relatively accurate for myself.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 310083

Follow Up By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 14:17

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 14:17
Thanks for that John,
I was curious how it works, because Nyngan to Bourke would be 100 kph but Cameron Corner to Merty Merty would be (at a guess) 50 kph.
Just wondering how represenative of the outback track times they are.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 576110

Sponsored Links