Trak Shak 240V UPGRADE (pics inside)

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 16:22
ThreadID: 58808 Views:6163 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
So the only thing i really didnt like about my trak shak was the no 240v thing so i did something about it.

Got my electrician mate to fit waterproof GPO inlet 7 RCD,6 power points,4 at rear 2 for fridges and 2 for other stuff and 2 at the front for fridges if need to leave them at front .Also fitted and wired up a 3 stage charger for deep cycle.I think it turned out great and will surely make it easier with no cords running around the place.Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 17:44

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 17:44
We have a similar setup in our Trak Shak.

Good to see you used a real socket for the power inlet and not one of these cheap caravan ones, you can buy a round plastic cover to go over the end of your extension cord that screws into the socket on your trailer making it more water proof and it stops the cord getting pulled out.

Regards Richard
AnswerID: 310134

Follow Up By: Member - Matthew C - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 18:07

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 18:07
Yeah i will look into that at a later date but wanted it too be safe for all occasions and also they are double pole GPO's,anything that is fed by a cable must have double pole switching.

Richo: It is well worth the investment mate as you know cords are a pain in the a#$e
FollowupID: 576185

Follow Up By: Member - Effie C (ACT) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 20:37

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 20:37
Member - Matthew C posted:
Yeah i will look into that at a later date but wanted it too be safe for all occasions and also they are double pole GPO's,anything that is fed by a cable must have double pole switching.

Richo: It is well worth the investment mate as you know cords are a pain in the a#$e

ANything in a caravan or mobile situation has to be double pole, active and neutral both must be switched. Your mate has done a very neat job, hope you "look" after him!
Live One Day at a Time for Tomorrow May Never Come.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 576222

Follow Up By: Member - Matthew C - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 21:02

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 21:02
Yes i certainly will,he is in the process of wanting to fit a turbo to his n/a 4.2 GQ and as that is my business i will be returning the favour indeed.

Matt
FollowupID: 576231

Reply By: Richo (SA) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 17:52

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 17:52
Awesome Matthew, I reckon I might get the same done to mine.
AnswerID: 310137

Reply By: 4wln - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 01:48

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 01:48
Hi Matthew, Great idea I'll have to do it to mine. Your quite right the lighting situation can get quite messy. There are a few questions though. The outside plug ins how waterproof are they. Say if you are going thru a deep water crossing. Do they ingest water. Do you buy them any hardware or do you need an electrical wholesaler. And the plugs inside would work fine for the fridges. I have 2xwaecos and I suppose you would use the 240v plug straight into the sockets. I have a C-Tek charger that I could charge the battery with and use the external charge plug wired directly to it. An external socket would be great for anylights as I can't see me using the ones inside the tray as I close the tray up at night and this would pinch the cords. This external socket would have to be really waterproof for water crossings not so much for rain. But you've given me some ideas and now I'll have to work on it.

Another question have you had your trailer weighed the gvm says 1350kg on mine and with the CT full with the camping gear in the tubs and 6 jerries full of water and the 2 gas bottles and 2 fridges empty I weighed in at 1440kg even before I put on my boat and motor.. If I travel with empty water tanks thats 120kg less I would be legal but have to leave the boat behind. I have the solar panels and full cage roofrack. I am going back to trakshak to see about which trailer this gvm is for. More problems .
So much to do and little time to do it. regards Peter
AnswerID: 310242

Follow Up By: Member - Matthew C - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:46

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:46
Yes some valid points there,the GVM is very understated i think.

Maybe we can investigate what the GVM is for.

Matt
FollowupID: 576320

Follow Up By: 4wln - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 22:38

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 22:38
Hi Matt, I am going to trakshak and will discuss gvm debarcle with them and will let you know what is outcome. Peter.
FollowupID: 576443

Follow Up By: Member - Matthew C - Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 23:14

Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 23:14
Peter

I rang them today and said that i had weighed mine in the same state as yours as i had been questioned by traffic police about it after being pulled up for speeding just after i git it.

Now mine weighed in at 1420Kgs and i told Kerry the manager how can this be due to the fact that i had no boat/motor on at the time and he replied that he cannot understand why the GVM is so low when they are tested to 3.2ton .

Anyhow let me know because it does seem a little light.

MAtt
FollowupID: 576449

Follow Up By: 4wln - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 00:19

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 00:19
Yeh Matt your weight was similar to mine I am hoping they can increase gvm it to at least 1700kg so I can carry my boat ,outboard ,foldup trailer. on the trakshak. regards peter.
FollowupID: 576466

Sponsored Links