unroadworthy turbos

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 18:15
ThreadID: 5881 Views:1194 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
acording to vic road law any increase over 15%in power from standard engine requires an engineers report.
now we all know a turbo bolted to a diesel/petrol will give you more than that.
spoke to a local guy who fits turbos and has for years didnt even know about it.
any one come undone yet if not just another thing to think about(insurance)new job coming so no fraser this time:-((
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 18:39

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 18:39
I think just locking yourself in a underground bombshelter is where we will all head soon...

then theres probably some rule that says you need "SOMETHING" to do that legally.

I give up.
AnswerID: 24493

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 18:43

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 18:43
From Baz on Patrol list.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
When Engineer looked at mine he questioned Turbo. When he saw it was Safari he asked no more questions.

Apparently a complaince has been lodged by them I belive with stae reg authorities.

In QLD a new compliance plate is put on firewall.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
FollowupID: 16461

Reply By: GOB member vic - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 18:59

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 18:59
sssshhhh boys in blue might rate it like eating while driving another b revenue raisr
steveits arrived just got to get photo and download
only 32 sleeps to go then off nth to darwin yeah
AnswerID: 24500

Follow Up By: Chris (W.A.) - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 04:57

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 04:57
I've got mates in the 'blue' that are equally into 4wding and don't give a sh*t about "revenue raising". There's a difference between speed cameras (rev raising) and coppers that pullbleeps over for driving like dick*eads. Give the poor bastards a break. They'll probably rescue you or your family one day!Gibb River in July.
FollowupID: 16477

Reply By: Donald - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 22:31

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 22:31
Just a general comment or two,
It would be fair to assume that as long as the final Power & Torque output is equal to or below the alternative biggest donk for the model you would be OK...but you also would have to get clearance on the hurdle of "Emissions" & compliance to ADR etc.
Their are disclosure rules by insurance companies also which you have to seriously consider......
I previously owned an old 1985 Cruiser with a standard 2H Diesel motor. We had done about 300,000 K's the motor was low on power, using oil & needed a full overhaul. I considered putting in everything from a Holden V8 petrol to a GM V8 Diesel.
During the process I contacted my Insurance Company at that time (NRMA) and they would allow me to put an after market Turbo & limit power to the Factory Equivalent from Toyota or a put in the Petrol Donk for that model. Anything else they were not interested in. It appears there is a resistance to putting in conversions with high power outputs. I suppose other Insurance companies would have the same sediments.
Unfortunately even though we have good intentions we do live in a world of litigation and political correctness.
I like to keep my stress levels down so sometimes it is easier to follow the rules.
Check with your Insurance Company.
Cheers to everyone
AnswerID: 24514

Reply By: Steve from Drive Systems Victoria - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 09:31

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 09:31
So whats the problem??You don't seriously think vicroads are going to confiscate and dyno test every turbo engine car on the road do you? Relax, just get on with life!
AnswerID: 24535

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 09:27

Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 09:27
Relax, get on with life ---- and try not to think about the many thousands of law graduates with nothing better to do than find new ways to make a living from the misfortune of others. If you have a bingle (it happens) and someone is injured, their lawyer may discover that your vehicle is 'illegal' and bingo - have a nice day!
FollowupID: 16534

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 16:06

Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 16:06
While being an interesting topic i personaly wouldn't give it a second thought !

Most would have other things to worry about before turbo legalities.

Just don't tell the insurance companies !!!

AnswerID: 24605

Follow Up By: tex1972 - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 22:54

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 22:54
ditto who cares. but any changes to induction affects your adr's and requires an engineers cert in nsw, all the vehicle inspectors I've talked to here say they don't really car as long as its not on a gemini or hyundi
FollowupID: 16830

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)