UHF Antenna

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 00:06
ThreadID: 5885 Views:1595 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I was informed today by a source that any UHF antenna mounted on to a magnetic elavated feed base becomes ground independant. I was under the impression you had to purchase an antenna to suit base but it seems not.
Can anyone back this up for me.

Thanx in advanceLooking forward to Kalbarri in July..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve from Drive Systems Victoria - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 09:27

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 09:27
I was led to believe the same thing. If its works, who cares?
AnswerID: 24534

Reply By: BJ42turbo - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 12:19

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 12:19
Yeh it should not be a problem Mine works ok but you could check out the "mobile one" website and even get them to send a catalogue, full of good info..........Dazz
AnswerID: 24543

Reply By: Member - Bob L - Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 22:17

Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 22:17
Scotti.
An Elevated Feed antenna will be ground independent and any tuned UHF whip be it a 9db monster or a humble 1/4 wave will work as its designer intended.
Basicly the 50ohm coax terminates at the top of the choke feeding the whip and the outer braid grounds to the choke to simulate a ground plane hence the ground independence.
GME have a good antenna brochure which shows the radiation characteristics for the different Db rateings ie lower Db works better in hilly country and higher Db out in the flat country.
If your going bush take a spare whip just in case you loose one. The wire type tend to fatigue and break in heavy corrigations.

Have a good trip
Cheers Bob.
AnswerID: 24638

Sponsored Links