innamincka /birdsville.

Submitted: Monday, Jun 16, 2008 at 23:58
ThreadID: 58874 Views:2452 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
anyone who is going to innamincka or birdsville have any info on track conditions from someone actually there and when it is going to open. I spoke to south aust dept of transport re the road closures and 4wd only usage and they said when they put up for "4wd only" it means 4wd that are 3 tonne and under and as I have a landcruiser with the lot and a CT my total rig weight is 5 tonne it leaves me out and its not worth the risk. So this would mean alot of 4wd's wouldn't be allowed also. It depends whose out there and if they book you. I still have some 3 weeks before I go so I will have to wait and see.. Has anyone been checked for weight out there...... thanks peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 08:37

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 08:37
Give us a bit more idea of which way you are planning on travelling so we can give you a bit more of an idea of what's happening.
What makes you think anyone takes any notice of the weight restrictions? Being a bit cynical here I know. Not too many people are actually aware of how heavy their rigs are.
Don't fret about your trip - it's another 3 weeks - every day the sun shines and the wind blows is another drying day. Your biggest problem will be the big ruts in the roads from those who were bogged in the middle of it or took off in panic when they shouldn't have.
AnswerID: 310461

Follow Up By: TRAKN - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:52

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:52
Hi Ruth,
We are going up the Birdsville track and then to Betoota south to Innamincka via Haddons corner and Arrabury travel to Dig tree and Coongie Lakes. and then down to Cameron corner Tibooburra and Waanaring to Bourke .
After ringing authoriies regarding 4wd sign under 3 tonne they said it was really an issue who is at the other end and whether the road gets really ripped up. It is really for the big trucks more than us 4wders . When they say the road is open to 4wd only they mean those 3 tonne and under now if you have an accident your insurance will be void if your vehicle weighs more than 3 tonne. Thats why I wanted to make 100% sure what this sign really meant. Our rigs are worth too much to ignore this as when it comes to the crunch there right and where wrong. I want to have a good time not a bad memory of the trip. Just hope the graders get in before we get there.
Can you look into your crystal ball and tell me what the weather is doing in 3 to 4 weeks thanks Peter
FollowupID: 576505

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:22

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 10:22
Peter

I had wondered a bit about the 3t limit – can’t remember seeing it on my travels, but noticed it on Ruth’s profile photographs a week ago or so. I just rang DTEI N&W region because I didn’t think trailers should be added necessarily, as trailers don’t add greatly to contact wheel pressure (more a drag issue).

DTEI seem to have a fairly practical attitude to it all e.g. not so concerned that some 4wd’s are over 3t (cruisers and F250’s). Their main concern is heavy 4wd mining trucks which have become more prevalent and can make a big mess. They ‘prefer no trailers’ but said decent off road types ‘probably ok’. They stressed using judgement which I think most of us understand, and if in doubt wait a day or so etc.

Other interesting thing was grader gangs are on rotation (18 on and 10 off I think) and have just come back and started work today, which I reckon is excellent timing after rain and before peak travel period.

Cheers JD
AnswerID: 310477

Reply By: TRAKN - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:27

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:27
Hi JD,
Yeh I wasn't awhere that sign existed Having a 4wd I thought that was all was needed . But as anything goes everything is okay until you have a mishap. Thats the worrying bit when we travel these outback roads if have an accident start ripping off all your gear as an assesor may get vehicle weighed. This happened to some one I know lucky they were okay. Travelling that road wouldn't be a problem the fine isn't worth it and then insurance not paying just adds to it. I've heard stories where those responsible for the damage also had to pay for fixing the road. The handbrake reckons Fiji is a better alternative. Looks like I am going by myself.
Just hoping the sun is shining out at Birdsville/Innamincka so it can dry up. Its a great place and looking forward to go back again.
Cheers Peter
AnswerID: 310483

Follow Up By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 15:29

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 15:29
Hi Trakn.
When do you expect to be leaving Maree?

I will be thereSunday 20/7 on way to Birdsville.You are quite welcome to tag along with us up the track.

Cheers.
Vince
FollowupID: 576542

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 16:14

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 16:14
Peter, I can see where you're coming from.Well let's hope things will be better when you leave. We're leaving on about 5/7. I've got a plan B (and C) just in case the weather frustrates Plan A. There is so much to do up there. cheers JD
FollowupID: 576550

Follow Up By: TRAKN - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 16:33

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 16:33
JD I too have plan B and C . I really want to go to plan A. But Plan B isn't bad. Anything is better than work Cheers Peter
FollowupID: 576553

Reply By: TRAKN - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 16:03

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 16:03
Hi Vince
I will be going thru Maree 11th july heading for Mungeranie hopefully that day.
Cheers Peter
AnswerID: 310540

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2008 at 07:21

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2008 at 07:21
Peter, by the time you are ready to come up the Birdsville Track the graders which are on the Bdv track already will have managed to do a fair bit of repair. Also by then the road will probably be open to all vehicles, not just 4WD. You seemed to have answered your own questions by doing a bit more research since putting up the post.
As of this morning all roads in this area are still Open to 4WD only - but as I said earlier, each day is sunny with slight winds and everything is drying out really well. The weather reports are positive (for the southern area as well) - you should be able to proceed with Plan A or else turn the trip around and go the other way. Be positive.
AnswerID: 310693

Follow Up By: TRAKN - Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 09:23

Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 09:23
Thanks Ruth, You've been very helpful . Looking forward to getting out there and catch up with a few members we should be there from 14th july and leaving 17th. for Tibboburra. I thought I'd do it in reverse as last time I went everyone must of had a similar itinerary as they followed us round most of the places.
thanks again regards Peter
FollowupID: 576896

Sponsored Links