Dust protection in van

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 16:29
ThreadID: 58899 Views:2104 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
Can anyone give me any advice on minimising dust entry in van on dirt road. We have a Supreme Getaway and were advised to travel with the pressure hatch open ,but it is illegal to tape up the door vent.To me it doesn't seem much point .If the air is flowing through wouldn't that drag dust into the van.
Would appreciate any advice on this matter
Cheers Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 16:45

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 16:45
I have taped up the Vent in the door be it legal or not. As the fridge is always on 12v when traveling and the cylinder valves closed I feel safe. Plus our fridge is completely sealed off from the van interior.
The idea in having the pressure hatch open on top of the van is to force clean air into the van and thus slightly pressurize the interior stopping dust from getting in other areas. It does work to some extent however when passing an oncoming vehicle you get some in. I have used this system for over 20yrs with no problems.
I have a Regal desert series off roader that is taken off road at times and on many roads and as most know the fine bull-dust always penetrates to some extent even in the vehicle.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 310550

Follow Up By: Member - Bob C (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 16:58

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 16:58
Hi Dodge
Thanks mate ,thats what I am thinking and wanted to check with someone who has had hands on experiance
Cheers
FollowupID: 576562

Reply By: Red Tail Black (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 17:41

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 17:41
Hi Bob,
Yes we have always found dust a problem in our old van on the outback roads. We put velcrose around all the vents etc and when we hit the dirt out came the canvas window and vent covers. Cut the dirt down a lot. The door was the hardest one to seal. Certainly stopped it around the fridge vents etc and when you get off the dirt you just peel them off.

We are just in the process of having a off roader built to our speck's and we are designing our own Donaldson Air filter system to stop it completely. Like the coaches do in their luggage compartments.
With the caravans with pressure hatches unless you are going along fast on dirt roads you are not creating enough air flow to keep the PSI higher on the inside of the van. The moment you slow down on corrugated roads the dirt goes straight in the pressure hatch. This is why you need to force the air in through a fan set up.
Cheers
AnswerID: 310566

Reply By: hunter40 - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 20:14

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 20:14
Hi,
I have not long brought a coromal seka off road only been on a dirt road once I never had the hatch open and van filled with dust though I have been told that the hatch on these vans work quite well but I guess at a low speed the dust would have to get sucked in some how so I to might look into geting covers made

Cheers Lyle
AnswerID: 310606

Reply By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:30

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:30
Firstly, could someone please show me the ACTUAL legislation, regulation, etc that forbids the taping up of a van's door vent. I'd be interested to read it for myself.

If someone is suggesting that it is to disepate residual LPG that might leak into the van...what a load of rubbish.

Secondly, caravans aren't air tight space shuttles. They are full of orrifcaces and gaps that will allow dust in. From fridge vents to aircon and even the drain in the sink.

You will never, ever keep 100% of the dust out.

Either learn to live with it or don't take the van on dirt roads.
AnswerID: 310726

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2008 at 18:17

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2008 at 18:17
Howdy Bob, You probably can't stop dust entry completely, but as pointed out by another response, even if you were to tape up the door vent, other vents such as sink, air con etc, would allow air flow through the van, thereby negating to some extent the necessary vacuum to prevent dust entering.
As you stated, you are looking to minimise it, not totally stop it.
AnswerID: 310802

Sponsored Links