campsites Wa

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 17:35
ThreadID: 5895 Views:3272 Replies:9 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello I am looking for some information on CAMPsites in an around, Kalbarri, Monkey Mia, Coral Bay and Carnarvon in Western Australia. I am taking a CAMPer trailer with me. I am worried about size of the sites. I would love to know if there are any books or free brochures detailing where to stop and CAMP on a very tight budget (not caravan parks necessarily). I am a single mother and I am travelling with my 3 sons, 1 Italian exchange student and a friend of my son (so there are 6 in total). Most caravan parks are charging extra per head over two people, so this is really causing me some financial worry. Are there any CAMP sites that are just charging per site or per head at reasonable rates. We don't mind roughing it, however I do not have a 4 wheel drive. Hope you can help us.

Financially Budgetting, Jules WA
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve from Albany - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 18:54

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 18:54
There is a book called "Priceless campsites & rest areas" written by Jan Holland. You can get it at most Newsagents for about $15. There is acutally two books, one for the south of the state and one for the north. The one you want is the northern book as it covers from Kalbarri up. It has about 130 campsites listed. Some are free and some have a small charge. Enjoy your holiday.
AnswerID: 24564

Reply By: Jules - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 19:05

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 19:05
THANKYOU STEVE

Thankyou for your response. I will go to my local newsagent tomorrow and look for this. I am sure it will be a valuable guide for me.

Thankyou very much, now I am looking forward to my holiday. Thanks Jules
AnswerID: 24566

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 19:22

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 19:22
Jules
you can get the above book from the shop section of this web site by clicking on shop /camping guides & scrolling down or if you cant get from the newsagents ranger camping also sell it
Regards Bruce
AnswerID: 24569

Reply By: Member - Dave (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 21:53

Wednesday, Jul 09, 2003 at 21:53
Jules, We have just returned from a 6week tour around the north and the best times we had were at road side parking areas. the futher North you get the more use the park areas get. the books we used were camping guide to western Australia.
AnswerID: 24574

Reply By: Jules - Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 11:42

Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 11:42
Thankyou also Dave and Bruce for your advices. I will keep these in mind also. I hope I have as much fun as Dave and family seem to have had.

Thankyou for replys Jules
AnswerID: 24588

Reply By: Member- Rox - Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 23:41

Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 23:41
Jules, Coral bay area cheep site is Ningaloo station , just 39kms past coral Bay turn off. $ 15 per adult/week kids free (not crowded). Heeps of areas to camp 20 mtrs from beach. Warm , clear water.
Can camp anywere from sth lefroy Bay to Winderabandie Point. youre able to get 200mtrs from beach in 2wd.

Reply 5 of 5 posted 18 Feb 2003 at 18:25 - (AnswerID: 13411)
Wayne replied to the question Rox I lived in Exmouth for three years and often camped along the coast between Coral Bay and Exmouth. I always found the area to the south of Ningaloo Homestead less attractive than to the north. You can follow the coast from Coral Bay north and once you get past Ningaloo Homestead (or go and ask if you can go up to the lighthouse ruins nearby) and sheep yards, you follow the track north. Its a fair distance from the sea at this stage. You'll see big sand dunes that are impassable in anything but a tracked vehicle. There are a couple of gates to go through and then you should see a sign for Lefroy Bay. There is OK camping here, but I preferred to head west at Lefroy until you come to another gate. Go through this gate and immediately turn south, following the fence line. This track does go all the way back to the main track, but there is a sign saying No Entry (or some such thing). At this point if you head west again you'll eventually come out at a section of beach that is literally a stones throw from the reef. GREAT camping here. If you're adventurous and can find a way over the sand dunes here to the south, you'll pick up the track that goes to the old Norwegien Bay whaling station. (Heed the signs there as there is a lot of blue asbestos fibres around, but worth a look from the distance even.) I havent been there for a few years, so not sure if the tanks are still standing, but there was a lot of other old machinery etc around. If you wish to travel further north, then Winderabandie Point is also really good. The track out the point is often REALLY soft, so you'll need to check that out before taking the camper out there. Best thing here is you can camp on either side and be in the lee of the wind. North of Winderabandie (through another gate) and there are a couple of deviations to the coast. Most are OK, but again the best one is about 17kms from the Winderabandie turnoff. Further north you come to the National Park sign and about 1 1/2 kms north the track goes out to a natural rock groyne. This is protected from the North East winds. About 1km south of Yardie Creek (4kms north of rock groyne) is a camping spot with pit toilets. Just make sure that Yardie Creek is passable and that you have a national park pass if you are going to stop anywhere in the park. (We used to go straight through and you didnt need a pass - we even took the dog as the road is a public road) In the park there is also camping but fees apply. All these areas are popular, but the track out from Lefroy isnt so well used (or known until now!) Have a good time and take a fishing rod, you can catch northwest snapper off the beaches.

Hope you can catch the fish as I didnt. :-((Around Oz 06/2004
AnswerID: 24751

Reply By: Jules - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 22:37

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 22:37
Thankyou Rox for all that information. I have been on my holiday with the kids and we had a great time. I used the free camping book. However I wish I had known about these places, especially the one near Coral Bay as that was not in the book and I ended up having to stay in the caravan park. Oh well next time I will be much better informed. Thankyou for all your info. I have taken note of all this and I will definetly be going again, as we had so much fun.

Thanks Jules

PS No fish either, not for want of trying!!
AnswerID: 25329

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 17:48

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 17:48
Jules, sorry to go off topic, but you recently posted that you got approx 10 litres per 100 kms with your Terrano towing a Dingo camper trailer.
I have a Terrano 2 - 2.7 turbo diesel, & I cant get that sort of economy when I'm not towing. Any advice on what might help? You can email me at patrol6@ozemail.com.au

Thanks.
AnswerID: 26019

Reply By: Jules - Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 12:06

Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 12:06
Hi Shaker,

Sorry but you must have the wrong Jules. I don't own a Terrano and I did not two a Dingo camper trailer. I never put anything on the forum about this subject. I own a Kia Carnival and I towed a Billabong camper trailer, which was not that economical but very comfortable.

Sorry I can't help Jules
AnswerID: 26144

Sponsored Links