Permo-Drive Regenerative Drive System

Submitted: Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 10:57
ThreadID: 59020 Views:2635 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,

listening to good old Radio National this morning, I heard a discussion with the chief engineer of Permo-Drive. Think it was covered before on "the 730 Report." They have developed a hybrid drive system which captures energy normally wasted as heat during braking, and uses it in turn, via hydraulics, to accelerate the vehicle. They claim this helps reduce fuel usage and emissions. It can be fitted to any vehicle, lpg/diesel/petrol/natural gas.

They have huge interest from trucking companies and even the US Army. However, they claim that the whole idea, as an Australian invention is teetering due the possible withholding of the "Commercial Ready" grants scheme.

From their website

"The RDS technology works by controlling a hydraulic pump which moves hydraulic oil under high pressure into an accumulator to compress nitrogen gas. The energy to compress the gas comes from the vehicle, thus slowing it down without the need to use the normal brakes.

The driver slows the vehicle by relaxing the throttle pedal (there is no need to use the brake pedal). Whenever the vehicle is required to slow the RDS provides the normal braking and stores the otherwise wasted energy.

When the vehicle subsequently accelerates the energy previously stored during braking is released back to the vehicle. The pressurised nitrogen moves the accumulated oil through back through the pump, thus providing the power to accelerate the vehicle. During this process the power requirement from the engine is reduced, therefore reducing fuel consumption and consequent pollutant emissions."

worth a look at their website
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 11:15

Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 11:15
They had a experimental bus set up with a similar system running in Brisbane about 20/30 years ago. The regenerative breaking system compressed air in storage cylinders, which was then used to help accelerate the vehicle. I am unsure of the details of the technology or what happened to it, but I think the experiment was being run by the engineering dept at either Uni Qld or QIT
AnswerID: 311172

Reply By: Gazal Champion - Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 14:41

Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 14:41
Hi Bushfix,

I heard that story as well.
The fellow from the company was saying that the fuel consumption saving could be as much as 30%. That is one hell
of a saving in a big truck, or road train.

I overheard one truck driver saying that the reason that the big trucks don't use the New England highway on a Sydney / Brisbane run these days is because it it takes one hour longer and the consume an extra 250litres of fuel going that way.

You know there is a lot of things our governments could do to both save on energy, without spending a fortune doing so, and to stop good Australian compaqnies from being sold overseas.

It beggers belief that these politicians that we elect are so narrow sighted, or is it that certain lobby groups are much to powerful.

Regards,
Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 311213

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 22:50

Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 22:50
these sorts of systems have a price and it is only as fuel prices rise that they are worthwhile. Also they must be proved to be safe (especially as they act as a braking system).

Also it isnt hard to see that these things have to be carefully evaluated before forking money (ours) over to some (possible) scam artist.
FollowupID: 577347

Follow Up By: ross - Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 11:52

Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 11:52
I cant see it being much use on vehicles in country areas that hardly use their brakes.
It has more advantage in stop start traffic.

Its not a totally new conceot either. Battery powered vehicles sometimes have electric motors that become generators when the brakes are applied to charge the battery system
FollowupID: 577400

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 15:22

Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 15:22
I see it's front page news in The Australian today.
If what they say is true, then it is indeed a national disgrace that seed money for these great Aussie inventions has dried up. No doubt they will be able to develope it elsewhere, and other countries will reap the rewards...like so may of "our" good ideas.

"Clever country?" Bah, humbug !!
AnswerID: 311224

Sponsored Links