GU 3.0TD leaking transmission

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 19:59
ThreadID: 5908 Views:1803 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Had a 30K service done on my 6 month old GU earlier this week by my usual mechanic (Not Nissan - they charge too much for the complimentary carwash). The mechanic pointed out a fluid leak in the auto transmission and transfer case. Took it straight to Nissan who said they would look at it next week - next available service appointment. Not repair it, just look at it.

Went home and rang Nissan Technical Dept and questioned whether it was safe to continue driving. They said that as I had reported the problem and booked it straight in, I had done everything necessary. Reading the Owners Manual I saw that I should not drive the vehicle if there has been any loss of fluids. Now I wonder where I stand if I'm causing more damage by driving.

First thing to go wrong under warranty with my vehicle. I'm just trying to short circuit any other problems, and looking for hints as to what else may be expected to go wrong with this type of vehicle.

Has anyone else had similar problem? If so, can I expect problems getting repairs done under warranty? I know little more about mechanical things than how to fill the fuel tank, so any guidance is appreciated.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ben - Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 20:30

Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 20:30
I have a GU 3.0lt 2000 and just had my sump gasket replaced on the motor. To do this the whole gearbox needs to be removed first. You shouldn't have any dramas under warranty - and as long as its only a slow small drip you should still be ok to drive around. Just check your levels every day.
AnswerID: 24626

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 21:29

Thursday, Jul 10, 2003 at 21:29
They said that as I had reported the problem and booked it straight in, I had done everything necessary.

GET IT IN WRITING FROM NISSAN, DUDES FULL NAME AND ON A NISSAN LETTER HEAD.. BY FAX OR EMAIL OR BOTH.
AnswerID: 24632

Reply By: Andrew - Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 01:38

Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 01:38
If your concerned about running the gearbox with too little oil, I'm sure the engines electronics would pick it up resulting in your Engines 'check' light coming on, on your dash.

I believe the auto's have a very sensitive sensor mechinism which will put you car into'limp home mode' should a reduction in oil pressure be detected in the gear box.

That's what ive been told anyway but will stand corrected.

AnswerID: 24665

Sponsored Links