House Sitters

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 15:53
ThreadID: 5943 Views:2034 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Has anyone had any experieces with house sitters? We are planning our big trek for next year, leaving in about June, and shall be away for about 8 weeks. The missus and I think the best option would be to use a house sitter to look after the place and the 2 dogs, but as we've never used house sitters before, we'd thought we ask our fellow EO's.

cheers

Al..

happy driving, and if you can't find em...grind em..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 16:44

Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 16:44
Gday Al a two couples friends of our parents have house sitted a few times and they are on some sort of bank of standy for house sitting apparently they have some organisation for this maybe even ploice checks .
I'm in the food and accomadation game and our business gets in manager residents for 3-5 weeks a year to give the manager a leave break (lucky bugger).
If you want i can find out for you or check them out through the web or maybe REIV
Not sure where you are located?

hope it helps
feels weird to have strangers in your house but we have done it for family when they have been overseas a few times.

cheers1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
AnswerID: 24770

Follow Up By: Member - Al (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 16:55

Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 16:55
cheers Toon,

would be interested in any info that we can get our hands on. We live in the Macedon Ranges area in Victoria. We usually get family to stay but for that length of time it would not be possible, and we think that a kennel would cost a heap, plus the 'big boy' [irish wolfhound] frets too much, it would be easier to leave him at home.

We don't mind the idea of having someone stay, we just want to make sure that it's from a reputable organisation, and I guess, am interested in what other's think.

Alhappy driving, and if you can't find em...grind em..
FollowupID: 16668

Reply By: Member - Willem- Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 17:47

Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 17:47
Hi Al,

We invited old friends to house sit in 2002 while we disappeared south for a month. They had to drive from Perth to South Oz and we paid for 3/4 of their fuel. We left them the house fully stocked with everything including a months supply of pre-cooked food for the dog(spoilt thing!). It worked out OK except the house sitters did not use the lounge fireplace and all the wood that had been supplied but ran our electric heaters flat out. We paid for that when the next bill arrived!! They also only gave the dog half of the allocated food and she was looking ragged when we got back. June 2002 was the coldest month for a long time here where we live and when we arrived back the housesitters had their bus' engine running and were gone within 20 minutes of our arrival. Don't think we will go down that path again. But it is worth exploring, however.
Now we take the dog with us everywhere we go( including some National Parks when nobody is looking) and shut the house down.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 24775

Follow Up By: Member - Al (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 17:57

Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 17:57
Thanks Willem,

Our house is only heated via solid fuel, so I guess we'll have to make sure there is some sort of supply or work it out with whoever sits here. As to our dogs, with 2 small kids, I doubt we've got room for an Irish Wolfhound and a Brittany, we could get some serious looks from our fellow travellers :), and to be honest, I think they would be happier at home. I think that's why we're starting to investigate now.

Al

PS..How's the knee...happy driving, and if you can't find em...grind em..
FollowupID: 16671

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 18:33

Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 18:33
Hi Al,

The knee is doing OK. Walking without an aid for short distances but it will take a while to loosen up fully. Took the drivers seat of the G60 apart today and reconfirgured it and now I can get my foot on to the clutch pedal. The doctor said no driving for 3 months but I like to be naughty.

Yes you have a large contingent to take care of and would need a Hummer or the like to take everyone with you. Maybe you will be able to find reputable house sitters through Google or a good agency. Good luck.
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 16673

Follow Up By: Lyds - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 21:41

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 21:41
Al,

You should check out various kennels and have that holiday home for the dogs sorted out just in case. Don't be shy to travel as not all kennels are the same.

We have cats, and use a local(ish) place for short stays and one that is literally on the other side of Sydney for lengthy stays (more expensive, further away, but the cats come home in better nick).

Then all you have to do is: organise to have your bills paid via direct debit, have the mail held, put a "no junk mail" sticker on your letterbox, have your neighbour put out yours bins, get someone to mow your lawns, put in timers for some lights, turn your hot water system down, lock up the place, and get out.

BTW, did you turn the iron off?

Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
FollowupID: 16819

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 18:39

Saturday, Jul 12, 2003 at 18:39
Theres companies that look after house sitters now, it was on one of them house/travel/lifestyle shows.

People do it to live free... Why wouldnt you? $200k for a house, or just live with minimal things, and use everyone elses.

Check your house insurance to see how you would stand if your house burnt to the ground or was burgled, while someone else was incharge of it too.

Change the locks when you get back, incase.... I trust nobody

AnswerID: 24779

Reply By: Sapper - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 20:19

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 20:19
Al

Go to www.housesitters.com.au and see what you like there. I have had no experience as yet although, friends in the local area have used the service and all was OK.

Sapper
AnswerID: 25531

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 08:46

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2003 at 08:46
Thanks Sapper,

have been checking out a few, I am hoping that perhaps a relative might be able to do it, otherwise, I think I will have to get the dogs kenneled, the prob with a lot of housesitters is that they are retired, and well into their 60\s, and, well, my Irish Wolfhound weighs in at 70kg+, it's alot of dog for an older person to look after...he's a lot of dog for me to look after sometimes!!..

thanks for your input...shall weigh up everything soon

cheers

Lyn [Mrs. Al]1927 Oldsmobile Tourer

Corrugations...what are they?
FollowupID: 17327

Sponsored Links