Nissan Terrano or Toyota Surf

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 07:32
ThreadID: 5958 Views:11619 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello, im fred from the Philippines. I know I am very far asking these. But australia is near our country and most imports from japan that came here may well be the same as in australia. I want to know which of these two are better. The nissan Terrano 5 door or the Toyota Surf. I don't know the model and the engine. But I have seen both today. Terrano (90-92 model) (370,000 pesos or around 10500 aus dollar and the Toyota Surf(90-94) is 580,000 pesos or arnd 16,477. one dealer says that I should not buy a nissan terrano. I still have not ask the question but they are selling Toyota Surf. I assume he wants me to buy from him or they really know that the Terrano is not good?. Also what about the price comparison. Sure the Toyota is very high. But comparing the two are they priced the same when it is brand new or nissan just depreciates too much. I also found a toyota prado which cost around 410,000 and ISUZU big horn which is arnd 540,000 they are roomy than the Terrano and Surf. I am just confused which is the best buy.Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter (WA) - Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 14:40

Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 14:40
hi the Terrano has very limited head room ,the Surf has a better ground clearance jiust a couple of pointsBorn to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 24833

Follow Up By: ffred - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 05:50

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 05:50
thanks for the response. Yes the terrano has a limited head room. We tried it for a test run. and its like you have been sandwich specially in the back seat. Unfortunately We have not tried to test drive the surf 3.0 litre diesel since it was in the process of converting it from a right hand to a left hand drive. Ground clearance is not very important since its mainly used for on road and seldom on off road. Thanks once again and nice toyota you've got there.
FollowupID: 16767

Reply By: Member - Willem- Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 18:55

Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 18:55
The Toyota Prado is by far a superior vehicle to the others mentioned. The Isuzu Big Horn is the equivalent of the Holden Jackaroo here in Australia. They are good vehicles and quite capable but are being fased out here by the end of 2003.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 24855

Follow Up By: ffred - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 05:44

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 05:44
thanks , I just look at it again and the toyota prado they have was an old version ( the interior has old design, metal dashboard and the aircon vent is round.) These vehicles where not very succesful in sales when they where released back then . Its just until now that there are many imports from japan that they have become popular. A lot of people here still preffers Mitsubishi Pajero. Does the Toyota Prado breaks easily or is it as strong as the other 3??? which of these vehicles breaks easily and usually what part does it break easily???
FollowupID: 16766

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 19:22

Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 19:22
Fred
Before I bought my Terrano I really wanted a Surf, until I drove one. The Surfs I tried (2.4litre) were really under powered and the diesel mechanics I spoke to said the Nissan was the way to go. I still like the Surfs but now we really love the Nissan.
The Terrano is much better around town than the Surf but I believe the Surf is better off-road. The Nissan is really very capable off road but occassionally the lower ground clearance shows (mainly in deep wheel ruts).
The interior size of each is the same but the surf has a bigger cargo area.
The Nissan has much more leg room in the rear passenger seat area.
In Australia, Nissan handles the spare parts for the Terrano but generally Toyota doesn't want to know about the Surfs. (I believe a few Toyota dealers are interested but not many) I don't know what the situation is in your country but you should check it out. (My next car won't be an import)
I hope this has been helpful
AnswerID: 24864

Follow Up By: ffred - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 05:34

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 05:34
Thanks for the response. I also forgot to mentioned that All these 4x4's are diesel and AT. I just ask the dealers and The toyota surf that they are selling is 3.0 liter diesel. They say that spare parts for Nissan not as plenty than that of Toyota here . What are the mechanical problems of the Terrano R3m 2.7litre, Surf 3.0, Toyota Prado(old design, the aircon vent is still round) even The Isuzu Bighorn? which of these 4 breaks easily???
FollowupID: 16765

Reply By: zigglemeister - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 19:38

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 19:38
Dear Fred,

A question to think about is how bad the roads are where you live. I live in Vanuatu where the roads are *terrible*, and are very very hard on vehicles. I don't know where in the Philippines you live, but if you are out in a remote area then I would strongly recommend the Surf over the Terrano. Here in Vanuatu the Nissan Navaras (which I believe have similar suspension to the Terranos - am open to correction here though!) are not very popular owing to the front suspension wearing out much more quickly than the Toyota Hiluxes (which have the same front suspension as the 4Runners). Something to think about if you're likely to travel a lot on bad roads.

Tim Z
AnswerID: 24926

Sponsored Links