outboard motors

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 23:03
ThreadID: 5969 Views:3106 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
g'day, i just bought a coleman canoe with built in transum wich will take a 5hp outboard motor.i want to buy a petrol motor and am wondering wether to buy a 4 or 2stroke,what brand and a rough price. legerlos
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 23:20

Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 23:20
while i only have two old motors for my tinny both 2 stroke , 1 is a mercury 4hp the other is an older evenrude 5 hp (i got it for free) i looked at some newer motors at last years boat show then tried one on a mates tinny it was a 4hp 4 stroke yamaha and it had an accessories plug for a small powered esky or light or gps any small powered device but the motor was quite at all revs no smoke (so no mixing fuels) responded better(well mine was older ) and i know from motorbike experience that two strokes require more service so i will be looking to buy that very motor early next year . If we get some rain to allow boating that is ?

But of course horses for courses i would use it mostly in fresh water so open sea water may be a different issue for you .

But no doubt this is the age old Nissan Vs Toyota -Ford Vs Holden deal , so i am sure if you buy a good brand shop around on price and service then ask about peoples experience with their service and warranty isssues .

IMHO all boat motors new and old are far too expensive for what they are when you can get a small car for the price of some of the v4 or v6 outboard motors .

hope it helps ,

The vicfish forum is also helpful .

good luck 1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
AnswerID: 24878

Reply By: tristjo - Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 23:38

Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 23:38
Mate,

Definitely go for the 4-stroke. They are smooth, quiet, easy to maintain, they don't smell (to much), you don't have to mix fuel, etc,etc.

There isn't as bigger price gap between 2's and 4' these days, probably due to there popularity, and the fact that are becoming easier to produce. Your 2 main choices are Yammies or Honda's. Honda, so I am told, invented the 4 stroke outbord, and are a very good product, but the Yammies are probably just as good, and are cheaper.

As for price, I could only find the Yammies with a price list. A 4hp 4strk s/s Yammie goe's for around $1700, so I would expect the Honda's to be a little dearer. As for 2 stokes, a Yammie 4hp go's for around $1400.

Try this site for more info: http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/

Hope this helps!!

Tristjo.
AnswerID: 24882

Follow Up By: legerlos - Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 23:48

Sunday, Jul 13, 2003 at 23:48
thanks toonfish and tristjo ,very helpful info. lgerlos
FollowupID: 16758

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 07:57

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 07:57
Hi legerlos I have had a fair bit of experience in this area
4strokess are excellent motors but don’t expect it to be silky smooth and super quiet in the small HP unit, and they are heavier than the 2 strokes.
If you are hell bent on a petrol powered outboard for your canoe then a 4 stroke is easier and cleaner, however you really should look at an electric motor –they are fantastic! They’ll pull and push barra and bass boats around all day -so a canoe is a piece of cake! Super quiet, clean, no fuss, throw the motor on its side in the 4WD etc etc..Try one out.
Cheers
alex
AnswerID: 24892

Follow Up By: bruce - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 09:31

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 09:31
I tottally agree about what you said of the electric motor Alex...but you forgot to mention the battery that you need to run it and the motor and fuel or solar panels that you have to use to recharge said battery...which equates to more noise , more weight , and with the panel you have to treat it a bit gently or it will break or get damaged ...a 2 or 4hp o/b these days usually has the fuel tank on top of the motor and is reasonably light weight and can take a bit of knocking about...cheers
FollowupID: 16771

Follow Up By: relaxed QLD - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 23:43

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 23:43
Bruce, I've got to agree with Alex, I reckon the electric is the way to go, especially for a caneo. Your issue with batteries and keeping them charged really isn't a issue because if your vehicle is running a dual battery setup you could just borrow the aux battery and recharge it by refitting the leads. Where this arguement falls down of course is if legerlos doesn't run a dual battery setup on his vehicle. Your issue with weight is negotiatable, those electric outboards only weigh a couple of kilos and the combined weight of a battery would make probably still be less than a petrol outboard.
Anyway thats my opinion
Relaxed
FollowupID: 16838

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 13:57

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 13:57
atill cant find my sheet with the quote on it but $1700 is insane my quote was definetely 100's of dollars cheaper .
1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
AnswerID: 24908

Follow Up By: tristjo - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 23:02

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 23:02
Toonfish,

Yeah, I though it was steep to. But, apparently, thats what they go for these days. I can remember only a couple of years ago you could get a 2hp 2str for around $350!!! Whats up with the price jump???
FollowupID: 16831

Follow Up By: relaxed QLD - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 23:52

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 23:52
3 years ago I bought a new 35HP all electric Johno for my 4.3 meter tinny, had to pay almost 4 grand for it. I like reliability out on the water, it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling of security plus its a bit hard to push start the b--tsard out there if it decides not to go.
Relaxed
FollowupID: 16839

Reply By: tim - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 09:28

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 09:28
Electric is the way to go
Quiet and push well.Use a good battery like a deep cycle and it will last for a couple of days.Excellent for trolling and just moving around if fishing,other wise a four stroke would be the way to go.
Good electric with battery and brackets would compare in price to outboards( 4 strokes)
AnswerID: 24971

Sponsored Links