Back From The Cape

Submitted: Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 10:45
ThreadID: 5977 Views:1981 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone. We got there and back in one piece.

Got back from the trek yesterday and had an absolute blast. Five weeks were just not nearly enough :(

The road up and back was good with no major problems. The OTL was alot of fun especially the last bit from Twin Falls to the Jardine. Towing the trailer through that bit was a bit of a struggle in places.

We came back via both the bi passes and I don't care what you hear on the road, they are not as bad as everyone makes out. I reakon, the locals are telling everyone that the Bi passes are too bad to drive on to keep the tourists off them. The bit of the bi pass that you have to travel on are by far the worst. If you keep you tyres below 30psi and the speed up around the 60 to 80kph mark you will have no dramas. Pity it's so dry this year, we hit the tip around June 23 and none of the creeks were tricky. Would hate to do it in Aug/Sep.

Cheers
See you on our travels

H,K & A
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce (San Diego) - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 11:10

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 11:10
We are doing it in Aug/Sept!!!

Did you happen to go from Bramwell out to the Olive River and Temple Bay, Just wondering what the track is like that Bramwell put in. We need to look at some plants out there.

Thanks

Bruce
AnswerID: 24899

Follow Up By: Member - dolfn - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 16:29

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 16:29
Sorry I didnt.

Just Bloomfield, Cape Melville and the the OTL to the top. Only 5 weeks :(
See you on our travels

H,K & A
FollowupID: 16791

Reply By: pathfinder - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 12:12

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 12:12
Dolfin - I note you are running 245/75x16 tyres. I've just fitted same to my 93 Disco and even though I've got a 40mil OME lift, the rears still catch on the guards at max articulation...I'm going to have to do a bit of custom work on the guards... Do you have this problem and what was the effect of the larger diameter tyres on your fuel economy?
AnswerID: 24900

Follow Up By: Member - dolfn - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 16:27

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 16:27
The 245/75R16 don't rub the guards on the series II. I think your model came with 225/70r16, wereas the series II came with 235/70 as standard. I have not given the truck a lift, but I will be doing so not too long from now just to harden the rear end, which droops a bit with the extra weight. (not so good off road). The width of the the 245/75 will probably be your problem, it only just fits inside the guard on mine. As for fuel economy, it does effect it somewhat, especially when towing. The exact figure, I couldnt tell you. It effects the gearing quite a bit also, especially when hauling up hills.

I hope this helps.
See you on our travels

H,K & A
FollowupID: 16790

Reply By: DARREN - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 12:46

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 12:46
dolfin, we are heading up in mid august for 5 weeks and i am towing a leaf sprung 7*4 box off road trailer with a 3.85 quitrex v nose on top of it behind my GU patrol. 3 cars in group. I was wondering if you had any tips or advice particularly regarding the following:
- stone guard on trailer vs masking up back window ( I am wanting to avoid chips in paint on the back of the car too)
- not having towed up there before - the difficult parts of the OTL and the development road with the trailer
- your favourite places
- did you catch any fish?
Regards,

Darren
AnswerID: 24902

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 15:06

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 15:06
Throw the tinny on the Roofrack! Can the trailer. ;)
FollowupID: 16787

Follow Up By: DARREN - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 15:18

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 15:18
Truckster, I appreciate the comment however due to size of boat, and 25hp motor, fuel tank, spare fuel etc fitting it all into or onto the car would be extremely messy to say the least, I understand that trailers are a somewhat contentious issue however the concensus seems to be they are OK if it is all done correctly hence the pre trip homework.
FollowupID: 16788

Reply By: Member - dolfn - Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 16:36

Monday, Jul 14, 2003 at 16:36
Darren,

Problably avoid the last section of the OTL with the trailer, its a bit tight and steep in spots. We did it and had to be towed out of Cannibal creek. Although this is the best off roading on the OTL, its just a pain in the arse with the trailer and if I had my time again, I would have done that section without the trailer and then returned for it. The Bi pass is fine for a trailer, but you are going to get stone damage. We didnt notice it that much as the Ultimate is designed to minimise the effects of stone damage. Saw lots of people towing trailers with the window taped up.

Make sure your trailer suspension is up for the job. The corrugations are hell on the under carriage. Saw about a half dozen broken trailers on the way up and back.

I was only land based, and the fishing was a bit average. With the boat it will be a lot better. Caught a couple of Barra, one in Lakefield and the other in the Dulhunty river, just up from the crossing. Other than that just some yuky catfish and barracouta off Seisa wharf.

I hope this helps
See you on our travels

H,K & A
AnswerID: 24913

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 11:22

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 11:22
Darren
What was the southern approach to Palm Creek like? This is the only spot that pulled me up in 2001 - heading south the mud and steepness of the exit got me. But as it was the last crossing and any detour meant backtracking through Heathlands - resorted to the tirfor and an hour's sweat.
Is the bridge over Cypress still intact? It used to present a bit of a problem for those with tailers as well.
FollowupID: 16866

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 12:40

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 12:40
Duh........the followup should have been addressed to dolfn - sorry.
FollowupID: 16871

Reply By: Member - dolfn - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 17:55

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 17:55
Patrol22,

Hi the Palm creek crossing was OK, we only attempted it to the North. Still is steep both ways, but due to the dry wet, not slippery at all. The creek is still kinda deep in places ;)

Cypress creek bridge is still intact and I got my Ultimate across OK. It has the same wheel track as the Disco, so no probs. A chap in our group had a boat trailer which was a tad wider than his 80 Series Landcruiser. It was Ok as well.

Hope this helps.
See you on our travels

H,K & A
AnswerID: 25022

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 13:00

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 13:00
Dolfn
Thanks for the update. I'm already into planning my next trip to the Tip - probably depart these cooler climes about second week of July next year. Probably spend 6 weeks on the road with a month on the Cape north of Cooktown.
FollowupID: 16940

Sponsored Links