gu patrol instrument surround

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 16:44
ThreadID: 6002 Views:1557 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
still chasing a rattle in the dash of a gu patrol. has anyone removed the instrument surround on this car . it appears to have two screws in the top but none at the bottom (that i can see). does the bottom just clip out? afraid to put too much pressure in case of breakage. is it necessary to remove steering wheel ? or can surround be manoured past steering wheel ,when wheel is lowered. book tells you nothing. Have recently sent letter to nissan regarding fifth gear failure, to get a clearer picture on vehicles effected. will keep you posted great forum regards.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gerry - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 17:13

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 17:13
Hi Bill,
I realise your car is a GU so I may be totally up the wrong path, but a common "dashboard rattle" in the GQ is very often the bonnet hinge which is recessed into the firewall. With the GQ, all that is needed is to wedge a large screwdriver between the two halves of the hinge and slightly bend/deform the hinge so as to put pressure on the pivot point when the bonnet is closed. This firms it up and the annoying rattle completely disappears. I had this happen in mine and it was only thanks to this forum that I didn't pull my dash apart looking for it.

Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 25011

Follow Up By: Tom - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 17:56

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 17:56
Gerry,
How/where/in which direction do you bend the hinge? My GQ has this rattle and I had decided it was the hinge but was wondering how to fix it.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
FollowupID: 16888

Follow Up By: Gerry - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 09:54

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 09:54
Hi Tom,
The first time it happened I removed the assembly and heated/hammered the rivet to tighten it all up - worked for a while but the rattle came back. So, the next time I simply put a big screwdriver between the two parts of the hinge and bent the two bits apart slightly. You could also try bending the whole thing sideways a tad. This puts pressure on the rivet when the bonnet is closed and is all that is needed. Just don't get too heavy handed - it doesn't need much to shut it up. Good luck.
FollowupID: 16932

Reply By: Luke - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 21:55

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 21:55
Hey Bill - what specs are your GU? My GU had an awfull rattle which I thought was in the dash somewhere - but it was actually coming from the intercooler frame. After Nissan couldn't fix it I loosened the bolts for the intercooler frame, and slid it up on the slots ... the rattle went for a while then came back, did the same thing, went again ...etc etc...

....but only pay attention if you have the intercooler :-)

Cheers,

Luke.
AnswerID: 25043

Reply By: Tony - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 08:10

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 08:10
I to have a rattle in my GU but I think it comes from the fan area, if you push hard on the grills of the middle vents it goes away, but starts up again as soon as you ease off the presure.

It's another nail in a not to bad a coffin.
AnswerID: 25075

Follow Up By: bill - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 14:53

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 14:53
thanks for th advice guys will try bonnet hinges. forgot to mention rattle goes as soon a car heats up. no intercooler 4.2... thanks again
FollowupID: 16956

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)