Tragic accident

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 19:45
ThreadID: 6004 Views:2097 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
According to radio reports a Swiss family of three were killed instantly just 20km out from Oodnadatta on Sunday afternoon after their vehicle left the road, rolled and slammed into a tree. The family were crossing the Simpson when the young child took ill and the parents decided to make for Oodnadatta in haste for medical assistance. Nobody is sure what happened but locals are blaming the poor road conditions. Speed may also have been a factor. The SA Government had cut back on providing money for outback roads two years ago and the roads have deteriorated. At the moment everyone is getting on the bandwagon to blame the government who are ducking for cover.

So to all you travellers out there. Drive according to road conditions and don't speed. All it takes is one bulldust hole and you could be out of control. Locals reckon that sections of the Oodnadatta Track between Oodnadatta and William Creek can only be traversed at 60-70kmh.

Take care and good travelling.
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TonyT - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 21:11

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 21:11
Saw the Landrover photo- minus roof- in today's paper- text said estimated speed was maybe 80kph. There was comment on the vehicle's rear suspension on one side, not part of the accident damage. A very sad incident.
AnswerID: 25036

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 21:29

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 21:29
Yes it is very, very sad but the same thing happens all the time on bitumen roads.

When a family are needlessly wiped out this becomes a very emotive issue.
Until someone really comes up the the specific cause I don't think we can speculate.
I just came back down the OOdnadatta track a few weeks ago and found it to be in better than expected condition.
The fact is it is the outback and we will never get bitumen roads all over the country side and nor should we.
Driver education for using outback roads would not go astray and one must always respect the road and drive according to conditions.

Also emergency equipment should always be carried. I assume they didn't have emergency communication otherwise they probably could have called for medical assistance for the child.

Anyway it certainly is sad but by the same token we must keep it all in perspective and refrain from pointing the finger until all the facts are known.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 25039

Reply By: Eric - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 22:43

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 22:43
Willum.
This accident is a good example of why it is very important to fit roll cages in defenders. I lost a school mate when he rolled a series 2 many years ago and I imediately fitted a roll cage in my series 2, latter I lowned my landy to another school mate and he rolled it end for end and survived. Defenders can not be registered in California with out a roll cage. By the way you idea about heating battery acid in a soucepan is very dangerous because battery acid reacts vilantly with almost any metal. Eric.
AnswerID: 25052

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 09:07

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 09:07
Eroc,
Yes I agree with you, boiling battery acid is dangerous. But so is old age, walking across a busy street, or driving off into the outback. When you find yourself in a situation in which drastic measures may be needed what do you do? Err on the side of caution? You tell me.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 16926

Follow Up By: Eric - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 21:22

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 21:22
Willem.
The bioling of the acid is not only dangerous but it will also destroy the battery because the metal from the saucpan will react with the acid and form a contaminating brew, you must know never to put waterin a battery that has bean in contact with a metal, thats why you always use clean rain water or distiled water. this sort of crap on the forum is dangerous because someone may try it. I hope that David will take this post of the forum for public safety. Eric.
FollowupID: 17009

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 21:56

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 21:56
The one thing that we should avoid on this forum is to become engaged in a slanging match. If you disagree with what I have posted then that is OK. But don't come along and denigrade other ideas no matter how dangerous they may be. I have performed this potion once and have seen it done on another occassion with no detrimental effect to anything. I am still here. It is an old bush method. As I have stated before when you are in dire need then it could be applicable. I wonder what safety measures you will come up with when I post some more bush mechanics trivia. Get a life Eric.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 17014

Reply By: jules - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 08:15

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 08:15
Have travelled the Oodndatta Track - and the operative word is "track" - it is not a road (nor should it be) and I agree you do have to drive to the condition of the road - safety is always the issue.
AnswerID: 25076

Reply By: Steve L - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 08:44

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 08:44
It has turned out that it was not the Swiss family who were killed.

Apparently they arrived in Sydney to meet some Sydney based relatives, and lent the car to them for an outback trip. Initial confusion was caused because of the cars rego and the world map showing the Swiss families trip.
AnswerID: 25077

Reply By: sean - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 14:14

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 14:14
I live in the NT and lots of fatalities here are from 4 wheel drive single vehicle roll overs.

Lots of people travel at 140 to 180 in their cars and they are NOT the ones dying on teh roads. In the rural areas its mostly tourists in four wheel drives, not going fast, running off the road and rollover. One person rolled their fourby at 40km/h while slowing down to a stop and the death of child occured. Its not only 'speed' that kills. Loss of control at any speed can be fatal.

This type of accident if common. I rarely drive my Patrol above 110 even on the speed unrestricted roads.

Sean

AnswerID: 25101

Sponsored Links