Back from Trip to western NSW

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 22:45
ThreadID: 6006 Views:1940 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Well we're back from our camping trip around the backblocks of NSW, you may remember I expressed concerns about staying in Dubbo.
Rog from this list contacted me before I left and we arranged to meet in Dubbo and have dinner and a chat. We met Rog and his mate Bruce and had dinner at the Railway Bowling Club, the night we arrived. The food and company were great, he gave me a few tips which proved useful, so thanks Rog..much appreciated.
After spending 2 nights in Dubbo we went to Trilby Station near Louth to begin our Darling River Run Trip. Liz and Gary Murray own Trilby and they are the nicest people you could meet.. easy to talk to and helpful country people. We were planning to spend only 2 nights on Trilby but my drought breaker, read campertrailer, worked it's magic and the small amount of rain that fell made the road impassable so we stayed the extra night.
From Trilby we went to White Cliffs, we had to use some minor roads because the road from Tilpa to Wilcannia was closed still. At White Cliffs, we did Jock's Mine tour, what a character he is, if ever you go to White Cliffs you must go there.
From White Cliffs we went to Broken Hill, via Wilcannia for a refuel. Now there is a scary place, it is a dying town. People standing in the street were not the friendly country folk we have come across up to this point, they are surly, staring and menacing. While i refuelled there i locked the kids in the car when i went to pay.
In Broken Hill we did as much as we could in the 3 days we had left then we headed home, via Cobar. Now this is a nice town, the people are a big contrast to the Wilcannia residents i saw. This seems like a go-ahead country town that still has its pride intact, I will make time to explore it next time out.
Of course these are just the impressions i gathered from a brief stopover in town for refuelling.
Anyway, i mainly just wanted to thank Rog for his hospitality and give brief overview of my 10 day tour.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 00:09

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 00:09
Hi Wayne
Nice report on your trip, only been to Bourke once & saw Cobar for 5 miniuts did seem like a nice place to stay a while. How many Klms ? was 10 days long enough

Cheers BerniePrado TD Auto
AnswerID: 25061

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 20:21

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 20:21
hi bernie,
not nearly enough time really to do broken hill and its surrounds justice.
and i would have loved to have done Menindee as well. 3 weeks would have been better, we covered 3,470kms according to my trip meter.

This was really a precursor for a trip to the centre, to see what i need to add to my setup so i can be independent as much as possible.

I didn't mention Bourke, but one local told me to make sure that anything of value was out of sight. I had to shop there to stock up for the camp at Trilby, not a great feeling in that town either.Cheers
waynepd
%
%:-)
%
FollowupID: 17001

Reply By: John - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 01:32

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 01:32
Hi All
I have to agree with Wayne about Wilcannia, My kids did not want to get out of the car when we passed through back in January.
We were warned about the town before going there.
Also agree about Jocks mine tour in White Cliffs, well worth the visit.
AnswerID: 25068

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 01:40

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 01:40
I remeber a stopoff at Cobar once in the army i agree nice place .
On tv tonight the town made a mention because of a big spate of break ins and burglary with the offnders getting off virtually scott free and back on the streets which has the locals up in arms because most of the judges travel from another town to preside on this towns cases so they couldnt care less it seems.
good to see the locals together on this very important matter .
Maybe Wilcannia and other towns need a wake up call like this as i am sure the good people outnumber the bad.1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
AnswerID: 25069

Follow Up By: Hughesy - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 07:46

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 07:46
Well as a Cobar resident I'm glad you liked what you saw even if it was only brief. I've only been living here 7 months and I must say its one of the most friendliest towns around. If you stay overnight (caravan park is very well maintained) make sure you pop down to the Occidental or Empire Hotels for a few "quiet ones". Always someone there willing to have chat any time of day.
Yeah the crime wave mentioned on the news is just some juveniles stealing money from car ashtrays and houses (mine included). Idiots left my $850 GPS sitting in the glove box. Never used to lock the cruiser up until then. Still nothing like Wilcannia or Bourke though.
Could probably organise a underground mine tour as well if any one else heads out this way and would like a look.
Happy travelling,
Hughesy
FollowupID: 16921

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 20:25

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 20:25
Sounds good Hughesy.
What sort of mines copper??Cheers
waynepd
%
%
FollowupID: 17002

Follow Up By: Hughesy - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 08:32

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 08:32
Wayne, U/G Gold mine mate. Bottom level is currently at around 930m below the surface. Worth a look if you've never been undergound before.
Hughesy
FollowupID: 17031

Reply By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 09:38

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 09:38
I have lived in the outback and remote places for most of my life and I don't have a problem with Wilcannia, and I get on pretty well with the local residents of this town. Stopped there for fuel on numerous occassions and had a rest down by the Darling just below the bridge. It is all a matter of attitude.

One day, about 15km out of Wilcannia we saw a security bag lying in the middle of the road, which must have fallen from a vehicle. So we retrieved it and drove back into town. At the Police Station, the outer door was made of reinforced steel with a small aperture for passing small objects through. There was an electronic button to press for attention. A muffled voice came from inside the building asking what I wanted. I explained. Then it sounded like 4 different locks being released. The heavy wooden door opened and an arm extended around the door, released the catch on the outside small steel aperture, and I was asked to put the bag through there. The arm snatched the bag from me. The outside steel aperture was closed again and the wooden door slammed shut. I don't remember being thanked.I never saw the persons face. I just laughed. Obviously the cops aren't popular in Wilcannia. This incident happened around mid morning.

Such is life in some parts of this multicultural country of ours.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 25080

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 22:21

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 22:21
Interestingly, I met a lady from Wilcannia today at our local fish and chip shop. she is a friend of one of my neighbours and is down for a visit.

When i said that i wasn't comfortable there, she said yeah we have to live in a compound up there. turns out she is a copper up there.Cheers
waynepd
%
%
FollowupID: 17016

Reply By: Member - Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 11:11

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 11:11
Hi, thanks for the report. Interesting about Wilcannia, we're planning going there next year. Could be a quick trip, windows up and straight through :).

Althe '27, she'll shake your shimmeys out!

Corrugations...what are they?
AnswerID: 25084

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 22:44

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 22:44
Hey Al, This one is 40 years younger than your '27(what make) and a good ol' cruiser. It will not run properly unless it has been warmed up for at least 10 minutes. Then it just cruises! Done only 81,000 miles.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 17020

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 12:59

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 12:59
Sadly, my visits to Wilcannia have been memorable for all the wrong reasons too. Maybe Willems given us the answer though. Look like a dero and drive a beaten up old truck and they will treat you OK ;-)
AnswerID: 25087

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 20:27

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 20:27
Well I am a bit scruffy with long hair and a beard, maybe it was the nice fourby that they didn't like :)Cheers
waynepd
%
%
FollowupID: 17003

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 22:29

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 22:29
Yeah and I am ugly to boot with a long scruffy beard and clothes bought from the op shop. I blend nicely into the population:-))Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 17018

Reply By: jules - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 08:12

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 08:12
Nice to see someone else has a "droughtbreaker" - thought we were the only ones - never fails - except in the top end. Great trip report - have often said we must explore this area one day - maybe sooner than later.
AnswerID: 25174

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 11:39

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 11:39
Hi Wayne,

Welcome back. Glad to hear you had a nice trip. Been throught that way several times now but like you, always feel that we need to spend more time than we have.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 25185

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 00:48

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 00:48
Thanks Miff,
I see you had a good tour of Ningaloo too, seems to be the destination of choice these days.
Cheers
waynepd
%
%
FollowupID: 17203

Sponsored Links