centre pole tents whats best

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 22:56
ThreadID: 6007 Views:12667 Replies:16 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
There was a posting sometime back about tents, centre pole verses hoop Im in the market for a canvas center pole tent I see two types available one has the 'umberela type action to tention the top 4 corners others have a steel tube frame..
who would like to share there expirence in favoure of either. whats the easiest to set up.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 23:03

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 23:03
Easiest BY far, is 1 pole tents like Southern Cross ones.

lay tent on ground. 1 peg in each corner, stand center pole up. DONE.

You can also get a 2 pole 'kit' for them so you dont have 1 pole in the center of your tent.
www.southerncrosscanvas.com.au

Theres one forsale in Trader section. The seller is a good bloke too, so you would have no problems withit.

AnswerID: 25054

Reply By: daren - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 23:36

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 23:36
Hilux,
I agree 200% with truckster. 2 mins to put up , that includes pulling it out of the car. I have a freedom tent. much the same as the southern ones,it has the steel tube frame. they have been around for years also. I recently bought the optional outer pole setup, that adds about 30 second to putting up the tent. I very highly recoment that type of tent.

hope it helps.
Daren
AnswerID: 25057

Reply By: petprass - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 23:43

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2003 at 23:43
I have a Freedom Camping Outback Tourer center pole tent. The way that it is made it will literally last me "a life time". (same as the Southern Cross but I think it is heavier canvass) It is easy to put up - unfold, peg four corners and put pole up. Done!. Not as easy to store as the hoop tent, but it's just a matter of working out your storage system in the vehicle to carry it. You can stand up in it - not sure about the hoop tent (I guess depends on size) Much more expensive than any other tent - but I think worth it especially on trips where you are striking camp each day and it gets a lot of folding and unfolding. This is where I think the cheaper nylon dome tents pack it in after a short while. But then on the other hand my friends who have them say that they can buy three or four dome tents, keep upto date with the latest fashion and still be ahead compared to the outlay of the Freedom tent.

Regarding the umbrella type - I am guessing that it may not be as sturdy as the single pole with the small (very strong) tubular frame around the top. With the Freedom, you can actually fall on the tent from the side and it will spring back up.

Peter
AnswerID: 25060

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 00:32

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 00:32
yea Freedom is exact same idea, different styles to protect copyright etc.

Freedom are a spin off of Southern cross, and are basically differnet colour to SC ones.

Not sure about the canvass, think its the other way around, but WGAF! they are both BRILLIANT.
FollowupID: 16917

Follow Up By: petprass - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 10:51

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 10:51
Yes they are both very similar, but Southern Cross have external stitching at the base which are prone to leaking. And yes SC do use in some of their tents 12oz canvass but people are finding it too heavy especially when wet. SC are now tending to go for 10oz - same as Freedom.

Freedom is not a spinoff of Southern Cross - just spoke to Liam at Freedom and he confirmed that Ken Hall (owner of Freedom) came up with the idea based on the Woods Canadian external frame tents. He then got SC to make them for around 3 years and now has them made in New Zealand. Freedom has been around for 30 years wheras SC has been in operation for just 10.

Peter
FollowupID: 16935

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 11:49

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 11:49
Actually SC have been around lot longer than 10! They are having a 10% off sale THIS MONTH for 21yrs in Tents!

So if the other bloke told you 10, I think he is full of bleep !

SC tents are a Bradmill 9.5oz Canvas and vinyl floor.

Differnces according to SC are one is made in NZ other in Aust, and seems they battle well between each other... LOL, they say the opposite!

ANyway both are good, both do the same job, both are within $100 of each other for simialr size.
FollowupID: 16936

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 11:56

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 11:56
That was the other thing, one has a spring loaded pole, for wind and storms... Allows the thing to 'flex'!!
FollowupID: 16937

Follow Up By: petprass - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 12:23

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 12:23
Just to protect the reputation of the person that told me 10 years for SC -Freedom has been around for 30 years and SC for 21 (as corrected) so the point is that Freedom is not a spin-off of SC.
FollowupID: 16938

Reply By: tour boy - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 06:54

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 06:54
G'day all. In my line of work (tours) I've used alot of single and twin pole tents. The single pole tents win hands down for reliability. The twin pole version is great for snugling BUT the frame causes the canvas to rip in the corners regularly. also take longer to put up especially when you are alone. It may just be the Blue mountains wind and snow, but the single pole tents don't move around as much in gale force wind either. The main thing is make sure it is dry when stored. Whatever you decide ...enjoy
AnswerID: 25073

Reply By: flappan - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 09:32

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 09:32
Vote One . . . . Southern Cross
AnswerID: 25079

Reply By: Luke - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 10:09

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 10:09
I have a Southern Cross tent. Absolutely awesome - best in the business by far IMHO.
AnswerID: 25081

Reply By: Mixo - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 10:47

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 10:47
Mine is an Adelaide made single pole. HD floor. Pole pops into a receiver in the center of the canvas roof. Metal frame around the roof. This is a simple and very effective as tent as others have mentioned. The centre pole is good for pulling yourself upon if the back is playing up and as mentioned elsewhere, it doesn't
rub on any canvas. Just sit the pole on a jam tin lid or wad of newspaper and the floor is safe.There is plenty of room for two to sleep alongside the pole. Ground sheet down, four corner pegs, pole in - done.
We took our camper trailer into the center for 2 weeks, but the weather was so good that we threw the single pole up each night for the whole trip (we take it as a spare/option). I think the center pole canvas tent is a classic, simple and very practical tent. Make sure you have the flyscreen door and window for flow through air.Gotta have red sand on those boots !
AnswerID: 25083

Reply By: Phil G - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 13:34

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 13:34
Just another option if you want top quality canvas, a bit more room and no poles in the centre of the tent:

Halls Canvas Goods in Adelaide have a 12x9ft dual centre pole tent called the Breezeway, which goes up just as quick as any of the others, but has two centre poles which swing outboard so you get an uncluttered floor area. Costs under $800. I've had mine for 12 years and not so much as a thread loose - only tent to stay up in a gale at Coober Pedy last year. Lots of people at the club with the centre pole tents who wouldn't mind the extra space of the breezeway.
AnswerID: 25094

Follow Up By: Member - Terry- Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 21:17

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 21:17
Phil would you have either a contact number for Halls or photos/diagrams so I can get one made in Perth.

Thanks Terry
FollowupID: 17008

Follow Up By: Phil G - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 21:26

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 21:26
Terry,

Don't have a photo offhand, but their details are:
Halls Canvas Goods,
58-60 Cottage Lane
Hackham, SA
Phone 8384 3117
Fax 8384 1010

Maybe they can fax you an info sheet. They have patented the design,so I doubt whether you could get one made. You can also get awning walls etc if you desire.
FollowupID: 17010

Reply By: tristjo - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 13:51

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 13:51
Hilux,

Canvas center pole tents are FANTASTIC!!! I wouldn't recommend anything else!! As for brands, I currently use a C.O.I Lighting center pole tent. It has proven to be as tough as nails, and very easy to erect. I have probably now set it up 50 or more times, and it has become second nature, only takes 2-3 minutes. The best thing about the C.O.I's is the price. For an 8'x8' tent, your looking at around $500!!! thats almost half the price of an equivelant Southern Cross. While I don't doubt that they are great tents, with the years of loyal service I have enjoyed out of the COI, I would recomend it over the Southern Cross. The change would buy you a good esky, or a couple of sleeping bags, etc, etc.

One things for sure, once you try a center pole, there will be no going back!!

Tristjo.
AnswerID: 25097

Follow Up By: Kevin - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 14:04

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 14:04
Couldn't agree more we use a COI extended for a family of four, cost
$800 half the price of Southern Cross and Freedom. So effectively you need to wear 2 of them out to be even with the others. The one we have is as tough as nails.

Kev
FollowupID: 16949

Follow Up By: tristjo - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 14:16

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 14:16
I wouldn't say no to a Southern Cross, but there is no way I could justify spending the extra dough!! The Lighting Extended my dad bought cost him $599, which when compared to the price of a S-C, make's it a steal!!
FollowupID: 16951

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 16:44

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 16:44
$800 is 1/2 the price of SC or Freedom?

Gee inflation since I posted this morning!
FollowupID: 16965

Follow Up By: Member - Terry- Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 21:13

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 21:13
tristjo, the COI tent you mention I assume this is an abbreviation for a company? I am not aware of this brand in W.A can you give me any info.

Thanks Terry
FollowupID: 17007

Follow Up By: tristjo - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 22:45

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 22:45
Terry,

The company is called Camping and Outdoor Industries. They manufacture everything from tents, tent pole's, pegs, basketball hoops, etc. I would imagine that most camping stores would know of the company, because the only brand of tent poles I can seem to find over here are C.O.I, evn in the stores that do not stock their tents.

Try a search, and see what you come up with. They certainly are a great product.

Tristjo.
FollowupID: 17021

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 22:57

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 22:57
Coi tents are at Aussie Disposals

Some Coi Tents
FollowupID: 17023

Reply By: stillthinkinaboutit - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 18:51

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 18:51
I also have COI Lightning for when we can't take the camper trailer or just for overnighters when we are 4WDing with the club. It is very solidly made, has good heavy canvas, 10oz and a solid vinyl floor, also have both the standard center pole as well as the side pole kit so depending on who's sleeping in it you can chose which way you want it. Have had many other styles of tents, Cabins, Pup, Domes and none of them are worth Pi$$ing on., they all leak like sieves when you have wind driven rain and a few of them have even ripped apart. The COI Lightning is really worth a look.

Regards,
Mark
AnswerID: 25126

Reply By: Phil P - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 21:54

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 21:54
I have the COI tent, it's fantastic to set up, a little bit of a pain to pack up. I have the version that has an extended rear & if you don't fold it right it's a tight fit to get back in the bag.

I bought it because of the price saving compared to the Southern Cross version.

What I found is that the fastening rings (the bits that the tent pegs fit through) started rusting after the first night out in the rain. I think the Souther Cross version has stainless steel fastening rings, also the Southern Cross has a spring loaded centre pole where the COI is adjustable with a butterfly type screw.

AnswerID: 25155

Reply By: Tuco69 - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 22:26

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2003 at 22:26
We have had a Freedom Family Minit Tourer for over 10 years - and it has stood up to the worse conditions that one could imagine. In 95 we were in the Simpson and had what could only be described as a mini cyclone - with heavy rain etc. Two other families in other style tents had them colapse, but the Freedom just bounced on the spring. The others spent 2 nights in their vehicles, while we were dry-s-bone in ours.
The floor on the Freedom is also better than others that I have looked at, and we have had situations where the floor was floating - but not leaking.

Great stuff.
AnswerID: 25162

Reply By: Treading Lightly - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 12:16

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 12:16
Hi all.

We (the wife) have a COI Lightning Extender Centre Pole tent, best thing since sliced bread. I can have it out of the forby and erected in approx 4 minutes, great.

However getting it back into the vehicle can take up to 20 minutes, what are we doing wrong?

JDLife is to good to be dead.
AnswerID: 25188

Reply By: Member - Rick - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 19:16

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 19:16
Re center pole tents:

on a scale of 1 to 10

freedom or southern cross center pole 10

COI center pole 7 (poorer constructiion, lighter weight canvas, less durable floor tub)

Igloo/dome tents 4 (slow to erect, not tough, last only a few short years when "really" camping)

I only know couse I learnt the hard way - some may say: is there any other way? LOL

At a tour I led last week of 20 vehicles & 73 bods, we were the only ones with a center pole tent. Set up time = one third of the other troops. Therefore center pole= less hassle; more time to relax, and while it's not a race, it sure is less stressful. IMHO there will be more centre poles once people have seriously considered them.

Concur with wind resistance remarks already made( sometimes after camp cooking it gets windy in the tent, too!)

BUT, how can ya beat a swag? On this scale a swag = 11

CheersRick (S.A.) - ' It is better to travel hopefully than arrive'
AnswerID: 25213

Reply By: hilux - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 14:06

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 14:06
To all the guys/gals that answerd my question thanks for all the suggestions. It seems the centre pole wins hands down.

Happy camping

Steve
AnswerID: 25300

Reply By: Hedonist - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 22:42

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 22:42
Not sure where you are Steve, but Great Outdoors do a single pole tourer as well - I picked a 9x9 up from Cargill's in Burswood (Perth) for under $500 on special.

Check out http://www.greatoutdoors.com.au

Cheers,
Pete
AnswerID: 25330

Sponsored Links