spot lights adjustment

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 03:46
ThreadID: 6020 Views:1596 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I've just got a set of spotties installed and would like to know short of going to a straight dark patch of road, what's the general criteria to get the correct alignment.

I have IPF lights and they are a pain in the backside cos i gotta undo the nuts that are holding the lights to the bull bar in order to be able to tilt higher or lower.

Can I point them to a wall at a certain distance and measure their height from the ground etc??? or do i need to find a stretch of road and adjust them there?

regards
Jeelan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 07:55

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 07:55
As you say mark a line on a wall at the hight of the lights and line them up on that, then a dark night for the final adjustment.

Great mounting system on the IPF's once done up tight will nevr move or vibrate.
AnswerID: 25173

Reply By: Member - Shawn - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 12:44

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 12:44
Mate, I did as above, string level the lot, but was not happy with direction and angle, so I bit the bullet and went to dark far away place and adjusted them to my liking in the dark
Do it right, do it once, took me 3-4 goes mucking about before I went to a dark stretch of roadKeep your powder dry
AnswerID: 25191

Reply By: Mark from Getaway Portable Refrigerator Hire - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 13:29

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 13:29
Hi Jeelan, Hope you enjoyed your trip. If you get two people to adjust the spoties on a isolated dark road it is musch easier. One has a socket set to loosen off the nuts while the other adjusts the lights to how required and then tighten up. If you do the wall trick and have to make adjustments on the road you have to go through the above process anyway. Regards Mark
AnswerID: 25196

Follow Up By: jeelan - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 01:47

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 01:47
thanx mike...was a great trip, loved the weather :)

i did adjust the lights once, that was on the night that i left Perth and they were perfect. NOw they're facing DOWN on the road rather than going out far...

I think what happened is that i adjusted them while the car was fully loaded and the back end must have settled a little, now that the car is empty and there is no weight the rear sits up a little and so the front points down ever so slightly,

I might just leave them as they are cos i'll probably only use them when i'm going away....fully loaded.

Thanx for the advise though.

Jeelan
FollowupID: 17091

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 16:37

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 16:37
Why not just wait till night and go out do it properly once?
AnswerID: 25204

Follow Up By: B.P.L. - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 22:10

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 22:10
This is the first sensible answer.
FollowupID: 17077

Follow Up By: d.b. - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 23:13

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 23:13
i agree
FollowupID: 17082

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 16:43

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 16:43
I used to use hose clamps straightened out, and screwed to top of light and to the grill/body. Just a turn on the 'worm screw' to adjust up/down - this requires some flex in the mount or losening the light a little. Another method is to use a small 'turnbuckle' in the same way. But testing on dark quite road is realy the only way to get proper adjustment. I have the beams crossed ie. RHS pointing left - this lets me 'see around corners' as I live 'out of town' and there are a million kangaroos just waiting to ambush me!Colin - Subaru Forester
- size isn't everything ! -
AnswerID: 25355

Sponsored Links