Cooper STT in the Mud

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 12:44
ThreadID: 6023 Views:1842 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,

Just wondering if anyone knows how Cooper STT's go in muddy conditions? Are they as good as other muddies such at Goodyear MTX and BFG MT?

Cheers!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 13:28

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 13:28
gday cruza.
i cant speak for goodyear but stt better than bfg in mud.
have a look at the two side bye side and there are big differences.
stt has bigger cut out on outside blocks for better cleaning.
stt has srtaight through patten for better cleaning.
they look very similar untill you put them both together. new job coming so no fraser this time:-((
AnswerID: 25195

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 16:16

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 16:16
Depends on who, what car, what sort of mud(sloppy or clagy bleep etc)...

Both will do well, I would have the Coopers over the BFG, but got the MTR's over the STT's.
AnswerID: 25202

Reply By: Wazza (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 17:55

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 17:55
I was out today in boggy mud in the Otways... had a ball. Running Cooper STTs 285/75/16 on 80 series. First time I have had muds on the car. Only had road pressures 40 psi and that was affecting the level of bite they were getting. Very greasy and slick hill I went down forwards and had a tree across the road and had to reverse out. Like all muds (i am guessing here as these are my first set) they filled with sticky mud when I was trying to reverse out. Without getting out to let the pressures down, it was high range and both lockers engaged in reverse to get the wheels to spin quick enough to clean the mud out of the tread. Was not liking the idea of winching sideways to spin the car around. Letting the pressures down would have been next, but didn't have to in the end. The two Kiwi's I had in the car were pretty impressed. Probrably more so at the deisel doing 3000+ rpm and mud flying out from under the bonnet as we slowly reversed up the hill......

Anyway, I think they are not too bad. Measured in the tyre shop they have about 1mm more tread depth than Goodyear MTRs when new. Not as soft as the goodyears and they don't have as much sidewall ballooning at lower pressures as other tyres. (From what I hear). Ever second lug on the outsides is about 10 mm lower than others, this helps a bit in the mud, or so they say.

Dunno if this all heps, I was just reliving a fantastic day I had today in the mud. Wombat State Forest will be another good test on Sunday.... plenty of mud out there at the moment.Cheers,
Wazza
----------------------
AnswerID: 25210

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 18:17

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 18:17
gday wazza.
shame about sunday(wombat).
i have teed up going with toonfish and a cpl of others on sunday to talarook(i think).but ive been dying to go to wombat.
havnt been there in years and that was on a bike.could you please let me know if your heading that way again soon.
theres a bit of talk about going back to skene again aswell.new job coming so no fraser this time:-((
FollowupID: 17059

Follow Up By: wazza - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 07:11

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 07:11
G'day Diamond. Yeah, I saw you guys organising stuff on another post. Would have called you up, but we have 8 cars going to Wombat. Starting to get out of control. Too many people to go with. Better than a few months ago when I didn't have many others to 4wd with... I am tagging along with a group of friends and didn't want to make to group too much bigger. Plenty of mud there though. I am running out of spare weekends, I am back to work on the boats in August. See ya. Hope you all have a good weekend out at tallarook. It was a choice for us of Wombat, Tallarook or Dissappointment.
FollowupID: 17096

Reply By: Shawne - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 22:02

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 22:02
Don't worry about "Treading Lightly" or any of those 'self regulating' groups....just bitch like crazy whenever any creek and back road is closed 2 4wdrivers...go on ...just stuff the areas for everyone else !!! ... in the name of 'which tyre ' is best.. For What ??
AnswerID: 25243

Follow Up By: Wazza (Vic) - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 09:28

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 09:28
Yeah, righto. I can see the angle you are hitting me from. What I wrote may sound bad to some, but when you know the full story it is different. This area was in the northern area of the Otways in an area currently being logged as a sustainable, renewable plantation forest. The tracks that I would have left yesterday are currently being driven over by bulldozers, tractors and trucks towing and carting logs. I am all for tread lightly, etc... however I know where I can have fun and remain environmentally friendly.Cheers,
Wazza
----------------------
FollowupID: 17106

Reply By: Slunnie - Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 13:27

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 13:27
In contrast to Diamond, I can compare the STT to the GY MTR, but not the BFG.
The STT is better than the MTR in mud and (gulp) clay.

regards
Slunnie
AnswerID: 25346

Reply By: choppa - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 10:25

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 10:25
I am on my third set of Cooper STT's, I run 33's x 12's, I have been in some shocking spots with them and they have always pulled through, I have used BFG's and Kelly's and find that there is no comparison in the mud, as for wear I have gotten 65 k's out of one set, so they wear very well as well.
AnswerID: 25984

Sponsored Links