Porta Pottie

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 13:57
ThreadID: 6024 Views:2924 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Have just picked myself up a near new Porta Pottie model 245.

Unfortunately the owners handbook is missing.

Can anyone tell me chemical dosage, also do I put it into the waste holding tank, and how much water should I pit in the waste tank before using it.

Thanks

Col Tigwell
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Macca (Perth) - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 14:28

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 14:28
Col
Slip down to any camping store where they sell porta dunnies and look at the book that comes with the dunny!
AnswerID: 25198

Reply By: flappan - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 16:32

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 16:32
I dont think all chemicals are the same.

We just had straight water in the tank, and chemicals in the holding tank. The bottle told us how much to use.

We basically did one flush of water into the holding tank.
AnswerID: 25203

Reply By: Tuco69 - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 17:15

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 17:15
You need chemicals for both the top (flushing) and bottom (waste) tank. The chemical for the top tank is a deodourant and also has a 'slip' agent in it. The idea is to also give it one 'flush' before using it. This will reduce the possibility of leaving 'skid marks' on the bowl. Practice will have you achieving 'bulls eye' drops after a while!

Both chemicals are available at most camp shops as well as K-Mart and Big-W. The 'dose' rate, or dilution rate depends on which brand you choose, and is printed on the chemical bottles.

Be aware that not all toilets are suitable for chemical toilet disposal. The chemicals are harsh and should not be disposed of into a septic system or biocycle system. Both of these systems rely on bacteria for decomposition and the chemical toilets will kill the bacteria.

Safe dump sites are usually marked, and many roadside public toilets have signs wether it is ok or not to dump chemical toilets.

Definitely one of the most 'civilised' aspects of our camping gear!
AnswerID: 25206

Follow Up By: GOB member vic - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 17:52

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 17:52
you will also find the top tank chemicals all very similar but the ones that go into main pan vary a lot from extremely friendly to envoiroment to breakdown any thing inthe pan but you need to shop around and read the labels
steveits arrived just got to get photo and download
only 32 sleeps to go then off nth to darwin yeah
FollowupID: 17057

Reply By: Member - Errol (WA) - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 17:53

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 17:53
All to much trouble , i,ll stick to my shovel and matches .Why go overseas when you can ExplorOz
ERROL
AnswerID: 25209

Follow Up By: Luke - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 20:01

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 20:01
Right on Errol :-)

FollowupID: 17063

Follow Up By: Tuco69 - Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 13:52

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 13:52
Most negative replies like this are from people who have never owned or used a chemical system. Or maybe they have a phobia about the disposal and service technique!

Shovel and matches certainly have their place, but not everywhere.

The bush adjacient to pristine places like Gregory Downs and many Cape York campsites - is littered with toilet paper and human excrement. Walking about is akin to a walking in a minefield!

If the people who made this mess used a shovel and matches, then most of the problem would be obliterated. There seems to be some sort of stigma about being seen wandering off into the bush with a shovel, dunny roll and gasmatch - it's as if they were about to do something unnatural !

IF they used a chemical toilet, then the problem wouldn't exist.
FollowupID: 17174

Follow Up By: Luke - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 00:08

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 00:08
My sincere apologies if I've offended anyone Tuco69, I didn't mean to sound negative - only that I prefer the simplicity of a shovel and matches. I'm sure chemical systems are great - certainly not knocking them, and of course I don't condone for a second anybody doing their business and leaving it for people to step in :-(

Cheers,

Luke.

:-)
FollowupID: 17201

Follow Up By: Tuco69 - Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 20:04

Sunday, Jul 20, 2003 at 20:04
Luke - no need for apologies, I was simply stating the obvious.

Believe me, beaut places like Gregory Downs are being turned into a real mess by thoughtless peoples sanitary habits. A real shame.

Yes, our PP takes up considerably more room than the trenching shovel - and is more expensive to service with chemicals (and repairs) - however we feel that the extra convenience outweighs the negatives - especially in wet weather, or crowded places, etc.
FollowupID: 17233

Reply By: Member - Willem- Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 20:47

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 20:47
Hi Col,

Yeah, I swapped a slab of beer for a 245 PP which gets used when the trailer is hooked up.

Just take a capful of the blue stuff out of the brown bottle(which has the chemical in it) and one flush of water. Don't dispose of waste in toilets as it may damage the bacteria inside the systems. There are plenty of places to fertilise in the long paddock!!Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 25222

Reply By: Glenno - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 21:23

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 21:23
I was really peeved with my porta pottie as i decided to be environmentally friendly and purchase the stuff without the formaldahyde in it for the bottom tank. As with most environmentally products it turns out its almost plain useless. Even after a week away basically raw sewerage pours out the bottom. Once I swapped to the formaldahyde based chemical the output seems to be a bit more desirable.

Shame really, but it seems its another case of a product on the market that just doesnt work. May explain why campmart doesnt seem to stock it any longer.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 25231

Reply By: ExplorOz - Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 22:47

Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 22:47
kevin replied
Reading from the book your model 245 has a 15 litre fresh water tank and a 12 litre waste holding tank so from that you can accurately work out from the bottle how much to put in your tank
AnswerID: 25248

Reply By: herkman - Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 19:12

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 19:12
Thanks guys for all the feedback. Most helpfull, whilst i do not mind walking with the shovel, its a bit hard at two in the morning, especially if its raining.

Also my lady is wrapped in her new throne.

Appreciate your help.

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 25363

Sponsored Links