Dunlop Grandtreks AT's

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 17, 2003 at 23:09
ThreadID: 6036 Views:2546 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I think they call them AT2's...something with a '2' in it anyway.

Has anyone used these tyres on a Patrol ute or similar. Coopers for me but my mate is asking the question???

Any good??
Performance??
Milage??

Thanks crew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jeelan - Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 04:12

Friday, Jul 18, 2003 at 04:12
just had grandtrek AT2 put on my Patrol GQ about 10,000k's ago.

I think there are three tyres in the Grandtrek range; 80/20 onroad/offroad driving, 50/50 and then 20/80 onroad/offroad and the AT2 are the 50/50 ones. The AT2 have a more aggressive tread pattern and from the way the tread goes i think they're also unidirectional tyres.

They're great to drive with around town. There's hardly any extra noise then what i usually get from the road.

I just got back from a trip to the Pilbara and covered approx 5000km, did a lot of driving on corrugated roads and they look like they would wear our rather quickly on dirt roads. I've lost a fair bit of tread from before i left to when i got back mind you i hadnt taken proper measurements, just going by what i feel with my fingers. I think the rubber they use might be a tad too soft for a lot of offroad driving. I definately dont think you'll get your money's worth if you're doing 50% off road work like the company claims they're made for.

Haven't tried any other brands. Patrols come standard with Desert Duelers and that's what i've been getting each time i get a new set. Thought i'd try something different this time. Will look at Coopers Discoverers or soemthing like that next time i think.

regards
Jeelan
AnswerID: 25263

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 16:33

Saturday, Jul 19, 2003 at 16:33
I don't know about the performance/mileage comparison, but when I looked at availabilty and price, Bridgestone D693 A/T were $20 cheaper than any other brand (from Bridgestone Tyre Centre) + I got an extra refund ($8 a tyre I think) for being a NRMA (NSW) member. That saving is nearly the cost of an extra tyre - little fellas for the Forester 215-70 x 15.
I have given them some 'treatment' on rocky tracks a couple of times and they perform great - no damaged sidewalls etc.
Apart from price the other problem I had when trying to choose, was which one? - there are a lot to select from, and the printed blurbs provided are useless - and tyre dealers have no idea, just like car salesman!

I have noticed this tyre on a number of 'real' 4WD's so they must be OK ?Colin - Subaru Forester
- size isn't everything ! -
AnswerID: 25354

Reply By: CT - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 13:29

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 13:29
Andrew,
This reply is a bit late, but hopefully still of some use. I've got a 75 series cruiser ute and have run Grandtrek AT's the whole time. I started on the AT1 (265/75/16) when I purchased the car and got 50K out of them (not including whatever was done on them before I got it; I would estimate at least another 10K going on the tread depth).

I replaced that set with AT2's as they replaced the AT1 in the Grandtrek lineup.

Only ever one flat (staked through the tread) and the tyre (AT1) was worn below the tread bars.

Did Cape York on the old AT1's and the ute was more than overloaded with boat, motor, fridge etc. on the back. Did not have an ounce of problems.

On the whole, excellent on road manners, run @ 25psi in sand with no problems, handles rocks and mud fine and is great on the gravel. Paid $240 each for the latest AT2's. Only competition was the Wrangler AT but they were relatively new at the time and not much feedback.

Cheers
Craig
AnswerID: 25480

Sponsored Links